Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Freaking shit, first it was the doors not unlocking now the car wont start. The starter wont even turn, does that mean i need a new starter? The cars been acting up lately, where sometimes i would have to fidget with the negavtive terminal of the battery to get the car to start. Im not sure but i think this battery is smaller than stock, and puts out less voltage. would this strain anything, ie the alternator or starter? man i think i should just take the car into the dealer and have them look the whole thing over. i haven't been able to drive my baby.

any input would be appreciated.

Kevin

·
Registered
679 Posts
sounds like your terminals have corrosion on them causing them to not make proper contact with the battery. This could also cause your battery to die because its not getting charged by the alt

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but the battery is producing power. everything works inside the car when the key is turned to the on position. but when i try to turn on the car.... nothing at all.

man i think im going to have to take it to the dealer, but ill have to have it towed. great hopefully they wont give me crap for the hole in the exhaust because i already know its there, i was planning on fixing that before this happened. so they are going to have to take care of the car not starting, hopefully its just not a fuse because i will feel stupid, and the car not unlocking. holly crap that sounds like thats going to be a lot of money for this broke ass college student.

Kevin

·
Wingless Hardtop Moderator
3,090 Posts
Wait, dont do it.. same thing happend to me... I changed all my terminals and got a new battery... and the computer needed to reset it self and it was fine.... the car started and then died going down the road.. then wouldnt start up again... then like2 hours later it started.... get new terminals... at least.

·
pirates like cookies
702 Posts
yea, the dealer will probably charge you 300 in labor, just to tell you to buy a new battery

i hate dealers

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well im going to try to jump the car before i take it. but the thing is that i still need to get the locks fixed because they are screwed up too. but i don't think its the battery since all the accesories work in the car. does the starter need that much more voltage than the accesories? how much are the terminals? and by terminals do you mean the things that attach to the battery, the wiring?

·
3,090 Posts
My accessories worked to.. that doesnt mean shit.. they dont require nearly as much juice as the starter... its lights and shit..

Have you even attempted to check the terminals for corrosion.. you cant see it unless youtake it off... I tried jumping my car to... works for a second and then stops...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i did check the negative terminal, but not the positive. there was minor corrosion on the battery for a temperary fix should i use something like sand paper to remove the stuff?

·
3,090 Posts
The MINOR corrosion could be your MAJOR problem... just clean and replace both terminals at least...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how much do the terminals cost?

·
Registered
730 Posts
its a $3 part with 5 minutes to install
after trying replacing everything that was all i needed. the corrosion looked "minor" on mine as well but that killed my car, wouldnt let it start and gave me a month of headache

·
Registered
730 Posts
there were a bunch of people on here over the summer that started having the same exact problem at the same time...i think the terminal solved it for us all

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so what exactly is the terminal im kinda confuse. are they the things that connect to the battery?

·
@turbolex.com
350 Posts
the silver posts that stick up out of the battery, you can go to orielly auto parts, autozone, carquest, napa, etc. they just screw on.

·
3,090 Posts
sxcsupra said:
so what exactly is the terminal im kinda confuse. are they the things that connect to the battery?
Heh, connects battery to wire.... they look sort of like clamps..

·
3,090 Posts
supraman1993 said:
pour some coca cola on the terminals it eats right through the corosion. thats what i always do.
Thats what you always do? How often do you have corrosion on your battery? :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts