Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This problem is on a MKIV Twin Turbo. It is a 1996 and is dead stock and has about 125k miles on the clock.

During the last days i had the following problem. When I turn the ingnition on, everything is fine. When I turn the key further to start, the lights of the Clock and the A/C Buttons dim, just like when you usually start the car, but it gives no sign that it will start (starter does not do anything).

Battery is fine.

One thing i noticed is a hissing noise from the engine in the area of the fuel rail at the 2nd cylinder. I am quite sure that it is fuel flowing that makes the noise. When i pull any of the two EFI fuses, the noise is gone. If i pull the plugs from the injectors, the noise stays. There is no leak or gasoline smell.

Question: when the ignition is on, but the engine off, does the fuel pump run (i'm quite sure it does, just to go sure). Is the fuel pump linked to the ECU signal? (because it is gone when EFI fuse pulled)

This is the third time that i had this problem (all within last week). Maybe it is a coincidence, but everytime the engine was warm at the time.

Does the ECU get a signal if the engine has sufficient fuel pressure? An idea i had is that maybe the fuel pressure regulator is broken and the pump can't build proper fuel pressure (thus the noise of the fuel flowing, probably back to the tank). Then the ECU senses no fuel pressure and won't start.

Anyone had this problem?

Thanks

·
Espresso Connoisseur
1,636 Posts
The starter will still do its thing even if there's not enough fuel or fuel pressure to the rail. Is your starter solenoid dead?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do I check the starter solenoid?

Apart from that, the hissing noise i believe was not there when it worked fine.

·
Espresso Connoisseur
1,636 Posts
Try to start the car without depressing the clutch pedal. Now while holding the key in the start position, depress the clutch. Do you hear any clicking at all?

·
Registered
850 Posts
yeah my starter died about 4 months ago too. It definately sound like what my car was doing before my starter was replaced.

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,715 Posts
How can you be so sure you battery is fine??? I can't believe you have gone to those lengths without even trying to jump your car. Turn on your head lights and see if they dim. Yes with your key is in the on possition you fuel pump relay is running inorder to prime the injectors, anticipating the fire. I would check:

1. Battery
2. Alarm dissable?
3. Jump the starter

·
Registered
82 Posts
Try jump starting first see if engine cranks over if not check battery cables for loose connection and corrosion also give little more info on what u did so far

·
Registered
480 Posts
McMsk said:
How do I check the starter solenoid?

Apart from that, the hissing noise i believe was not there when it worked fine.
the hissing noise is normal. Its your starter. does it even make a clicking noise when you try to start? does this happen when its only cold?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried jump starting the car with a different car, no difference. Battery is fine. And no loose connections.

Car is Automatic, so no clutch pedal.

·
Espresso Connoisseur
1,636 Posts
Then in Park and trying to start the car...any clicking sounds?

·
Registered
480 Posts
try pressing the break and try to listen if a click comes from near the shifter. maybe the park safty/neutral switch is bad?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts