Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just dropped $500 on towing my supra home. The car will crank and crank and crank but won't start. I tried popping the clutch to no avail. I've reset the ecu, gone back to my old tune on AEM, hoses and vac lines look good, sparkplugs are good. What's wrong?! Help please supra gurus!

· Registered
170 Posts
having the same problem on my auto sc so in for suggestions not trying to thread jack op

· You know I'm retarded...
3,548 Posts
IDK where you stand but I would chk alternator, starter or get it diagnostic to make sure what it is exactly the problem are.

· 6-speed NA FTW
1,367 Posts
First off, it's not going to be the starter or alternator. Not a chance for either of those 2 if it cranks over and over and over.

My vote is the rotor button in the distributor is wore out. Very cheap fix too if it turns out to be the problem. Even if it isn't, it's a cheap part and needs to be changed out every now and then anyways. If you have tried to crank the car enough after changing the spark plugs again, they may be fouled out.

On my roommates honda, his rotor button was wore out and we replaced it, but it seemingly didn't fix the problem. However, he had flooded the car out attempting to crank it so many times, so we replaced the spark plugs and she fired right up.

Pull a spark plug wire and stick a spark plug in it. Turn the motor over and get somebody to see if the spark plug is sparking. If not, then it's definitely a spark issue (obviously). Try changing the rotor button, and re-do the test. If it's sparking, then that fixed the problem. If it still doesn't crank, change the plugs again.

· Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm pretty sure my timing is correct. It was running fine a couple hours ago and I didn't touch anything. Tps seems fine according to aempro. Alternator was just working fine as well. Well if the starter was dead, wouldn't popping the clutch start the car?

Edit: I'll take a pic of my distributor and cap tomorrow morning. Hopefully it's something as simple as that that's causing the problem :(

· You know I'm retarded...
3,548 Posts
That why I said I dont know where you stand, it could be click click or crank crank or whatever sound it may be. GL

· CreamTeam®
634 Posts
when this happened to me it was my disributor, well... the chip.

· Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I just checked the spark plug, no spark when cranking the car. I tried using the 4Runner dizzy cap I had laying around and no spark either. Could it be the rotor? Any way to check if my ignitor is busted?

· 6-speed NA FTW
1,367 Posts
Button, rotor, same thing. It's actually called the "rotor button". At least that's what I have always called them anyways.

Its hard to tell just by looking at the end of the rotor button if it is wore out or not. I would just buy a new one. It's less than $10 new at advance autoparts. Probly closer to $7 or $8. Then clean off the points inside the distributor cap real good. Don't sand them down or anything cause you don't need to take any material off of them or they won't make contact like they should. They actually look pretty clean so I would just wipe them off. As long as there isn't any corrosion build up. Or even a new cap is only like $12. So you could have a new cap and button for $20.

Anyways, after you replace either, or both, of those then re-do the spark test. (take spark plug wire off spark plug, place spark plug in the end of the wire and lay on the valvecover, crank car over and have someone watch for spark). And hopefully that will fix it. If not, then you are only out $20, you have done half a tune up, and we have eliminated 2 possibilities!

· Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just ordered a new rotor from toyota, will be picking up tomorrow.

I cleaned scraped off the rust from the rotor but still doesn't start. I played around with the rotor when I took it off on the distributor and it seems the gap of the points on the cap and the metal on the rotor seems very large. Does it look worn?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.