Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Carbo Tech Panther Plus's.....opinions please

I recently puchased a set of these for my car front and rear. I also put on new factory rotors at all four corners. I haven't had my car to the track yet, but I'm going to this weekend (Mid Ohio). I did the proper break in according to the instructions, and really like how they grab; however, a couple of days ago I took the car up to around 150 MPH or so and got on the brakes real hard. The rotors got REAL hot and made a alot of noise like they were warping or something. I got back home and there was hot spots symmetrically around the radius of the rotor. I was like WTF! I called the dude at Carbo Tech and he said that the pads aren't made for that kind of speed. I was a little dissapointed to say the least. Anybody else have experiences like this with these pads?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Not made for that kind of speed? I have braked from 150 with these pads many times, with no problems.

Ran a small roadcourse with them today. They were smoking pretty damn bad after the first few laps, after that they were fine. I pretty much threashold braked every corner, with no fade (Motul 600 fluid), but its only a 2nd and 3rd gear course.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The guy told me that they weren't good for that velocity and heavy of a car. WHo knows. They seem to be inconsisntent too. I got on em pretty good the other day at around 145 or so and everything seemed good. But it isn' that way all the time. Do yours squeak alot?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used them on my 88 at Watkins Glen last year. I thought they had great bite and fade resistance. But they did warp the rotors and they only lasted about 2 days on the track. I was braking pretty hard, but not at threshold. May try a different pad this year. It would be nice if a set of rotors would last through the summer.

C

·
0 Posts
Ryan,

Drop me a line today to talk about this...apparently you didn't speak with me, but with someone else. I'd like to know who at Carbotech told you that the pads weren't made for "these kind of speeds".

In any case...the phone line is open at 877-899-5024...I'd like to speak with you about this.

Andie Lin

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I don't think brake pads warp rotors but excessive temps warp rotors and eat up brake pads (and caliper seals, etc). Bet if you put temp stickers on your unducted rotors you would see some pretty high temps on it as well as using temp paint on your rotors. I run pretty big air ducts to my front brakes and warp/cracked rotors, boiled fluid, and rapidly eaten brake pads have been drastically reduced or eliminated. Of course you also have to do good cool down laps using no brakes (I usually do two cool down laps) to cool your brakes before stopping which could then cook the crap out of everything (and especially boil your brake fluid). Brakes are a heat sink and you have got to get some way of removing the heat or it will destroy parts.
Barry H. (94tt 6sp. can see a brake duct in pic if you look)

jagman said:
I used them on my 88 at Watkins Glen last year. I thought they had great bite and fade resistance. But they did warp the rotors and they only lasted about 2 days on the track. I was braking pretty hard, but not at threshold. May try a different pad this year. It would be nice if a set of rotors would last through the summer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Barry,

Thanks for the advice. You're right - excessive temps are what warp the rotors. I've just had this happen much more with the Panther Plus pads compared to others I've used.

Can you tell me a little about the temp stickers & paint that you mentioned? I'm not familiar with that. Where do you get them?

I have tried ducting air to the front brakes, but may need more. I'll be working on that once I get my head gasket replaced (first things first!). Where did you aim the ducts - at the caliper? Doesn't your car have ducting designed into the nose?

I think part of the problem also, is that the brakes on the Mk3 may not be really adequate for the car's weight when used on the track. I could invest in a big brake setup, but I'm not sure it's worth it. I think I'd rather put the money toward a Mk4!

Patrick

N

·
0 Posts
I'm was supposed to get the Carbotech XP pads today but they didnt show up. Once I have installed them on my 240 I'll give an overview on the pads and how they felt at the track... I'll get some motul 600 brake fluid aswell.

take care,
nils

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I have not used the caliper temp stickers or the rotor temp paint. But if you want to use them for info purposes you can order it from pegasusautoracing.com I aim the air duct hose at the rotor. The dust shield conveniently has a cutaway near where the duct is routed via zip ties on the lower suspension arm. Just using vac hose and zip ties the whole set up couldn't cost $20. My set up has an additioanl element to it and maybe cost $40. Some people have used heater hose with succes. I have some pics if you want to see them. Just PM me with your email and I will send pics to you.
Barry H.
jagman said:
Barry,

Thanks for the advice. You're right - excessive temps are what warp the rotors. I've just had this happen much more with the Panther Plus pads compared to others I've used.

Can you tell me a little about the temp stickers & paint that you mentioned? I'm not familiar with that. Where do you get them?

I have tried ducting air to the front brakes, but may need more. I'll be working on that once I get my head gasket replaced (first things first!). Where did you aim the ducts - at the caliper? Doesn't your car have ducting designed into the nose?

I think part of the problem also, is that the brakes on the Mk3 may not be really adequate for the car's weight when used on the track. I could invest in a big brake setup, but I'm not sure it's worth it. I think I'd rather put the money toward a Mk4!

Patrick

N

·
0 Posts
Ryan P said:
Keep us informed!:)
wow.. that was fun!!
I just got back from a Intermountain PCA event with my little 240sx =)

The XP pads are awsome!! I would NOT recommend using these as street pads, I actually changed back to my stock pads before leaving the track. No real fade and great bite all through the 20 minute sessions ... I do have a brake duct set up so that helped too but the pads worked great.

What surprised me was that by the 3rd session I passed 3 Posrches.. one of them was a 911 TT with my little 150bhp coupe =)

Here is a pic of my 240....

N

·
0 Posts
and the last one I feel like sending =)

hope you enjoyed.

btw - I cant praise TEIN suspension enough.. they make bad ass coilovers.. the Kumho's worked great aswell =)

take care,
nils

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Don't those 240s handle great, for what they are? How did you do against well-driven boxsters? I'd think they wouldn't have that much of an advantage over you.

N

·
0 Posts
Grant said:
Don't those 240s handle great, for what they are? How did you do against well-driven boxsters? I'd think they wouldn't have that much of an advantage over you.
Grant,
I cannot believe how great this car handles. There was one boxster at the event, he looked pretty fast in the twisty part of the track (2.5 mile). We entered the track at different times so we never got to play with each other, but I surprised alot of *big headed* Porsche owners.... (just cause you own one doesnt make you a great driver ;)

take care,
nils

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
nils said:

I surprised alot of *big headed* Porsche owners.... (just cause you own one doesnt make you a great driver ;)

take care,
nils
Tell me about it.... I've driven a Porsche at a PCA event, and you should have seen the looks on their faces when I suggested a Toyota would be faster. However, you being on victoracers is a significant advantage compared to those on street tires.

I got to drive a 240 on the 1.6 mile Gainesville Raceway course. It wasn't a very high speed course, so I got to chase down a S2000 and a M5 :) All on crappy Kuhmo Ecsta 712s and 154rwhp.

Nils, why wouldn't you use the XPs on the street? How well did they stop when cold? How many stops did they take to warm up?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts