Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Black is Faster!
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering what kind of carbon fiber dash kits everyone was using?

I'm probably going to go with torasport, but was also wondering if anyone new the difference between their regular carbon fiber and the sport carbon fiber ?

Pictures would be great too!
Thanks

·
1000hp thanks to SP
598 Posts
go to www.suprastore.com they have a really nice kind that i have seen a lot of people use and love them, i think they look great, they are about $350
Greg

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
You just missed a group buy...

...at www.DashKits.net

Email him and you may still get the good price. I don't know about ToraSport, but I bought the "sport" carbon dash from DashKits.net. It is VERY nice. The dash cost $215, and does not have the shiny "dipped in urethane" look. Makes the carbon pattern really stand out. Plus, it was easy for me to match the carbon fiber material I used to make my passenger airbag panel gauge cluster. ;) There are pictures on the website...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hey Fyrarms I'm digging your car. Are those the Manaray MS-6 rims and if so what size?

As for the dash kit, I think I'll be custom doing my own carbon dash. I would like to put the HKS 42mm oil & fuel pressure and a temp. guages where the stock clock and center ac vent resided so I'll have to fill in those voids before I cut. I'm not a big fan of the stick on stuff so I'll be using actual carbon cloth and epoxy resin. It may take a little longer to do but after it's complete you'd think the whole dash and center were molded out of carbon. As far as I know Atacs in Seattle provides the best carbon cloth and epoxy resin and you can get it in any weave pattern.

·
Black is Faster!
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys...

ATLSUP:

Wow, you're getting a little outta my league there, but does anyone have any tips for cutting the actual stick on pieces, say to go around an avc-r and anything like that. Can you cut those pieces and not have frayed edges and it just not being plain fugly?

Here are a few pics from www.dashkits.net
Let me know what you think.

Regular Gloss Carbon Fiber:

Sport Carbon Fiber:

I like both, but i'm thinking the sport CF may be too much; let me know what you think.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Caughron said:
Thanks guys...

ATLSUP:

Wow, you're getting a little outta my league there, but does anyone have any tips for cutting the actual stick on pieces, say to go around an avc-r and anything like that. Can you cut those pieces and not have frayed edges and it just not being plain fugly?

Here are a few pics from www.dashkits.net
Let me know what you think.

Regular Gloss Carbon Fiber:

Sport Carbon Fiber:

I like both, but i'm thinking the sport CF may be too much; let me know what you think.
Well I've gotta lotta time to work with when it comes to my car:D

Anyway, to cut carbon (assuming that it will be real) you would need a very fine tooth saw, preferably something like a diamond tooth or cobalt, to prevent the blade from dulling and eventually snagging and pulling carbon strands. I'd cut a rough pattern with your saw and then grind to the final shape with dremel sanding drums or similar. Make sure it's pretty fine sand abrasive as you don't want to break-up the adhesive (looks like fine cracks around the edges of your cut). Also just take your time if you decide to grind. High heat from a grinder can turn the adhesive yellow and very dull around the edges. And PLEASE protect yourself. Real carbon is very nasty stuff when inhaled or blown in your eyes and carbon splinters will be with you for life unless you cut them out and they hurt like HELL:mad:
Hope this helps you out.
Peace

B

·
0 Posts
ATLSUPDAWG#2 said:
As for the dash kit, I think I'll be custom doing my own carbon dash. I would like to put the HKS 42mm oil & fuel pressure and a temp. guages where the stock clock and center ac vent resided so I'll have to fill in those voids before I cut. I'm not a big fan of the stick on stuff so I'll be using actual carbon cloth and epoxy resin. It may take a little longer to do but after it's complete you'd think the whole dash and center were molded out of carbon. As far as I know Atacs in Seattle provides the best carbon cloth and epoxy resin and you can get it in any weave pattern.
Does Atacs have a website or # at all? Also, what kinda job does that entail and how would you do your own dash in carbon? Id be interested in making a custom carbon dash cover, since i want to make cutouts for the boost controller and all.
Thanks

·
Registered
391 Posts
BlSupra said:

Does Atacs have a website or # at all? Also, what kinda job does that entail and how would you do your own dash in carbon? Id be interested in making a custom carbon dash cover, since i want to make cutouts for the boost controller and all.
Thanks
I'll have to look the number up when I get to work.
As for the job itself:
For filling holes to recut later (I'll use the clock and center ac vent as ie.), I'll cut a hole slightly larger than the original to remove any chamfer or contour that was molded into the dash. From the back I'll apply heavy fiberglass mat cut to about 1/2-1" larger in diameter than the hole I just cut. Once that cures I'll start on the front by filling in the holes with heavy fiberglass mat cut to the same diameter as the hole.
The whole panel will need to be roughed up with either sand paper or scotch brite pads to ensure a good bond. I'll probably use a light weight 2/2 twill weave carbon cloth and clear 2 part epoxy. Apply epoxy to the dash and lay the cloth, then apply another coat of epoxy over the cloth. Use 5 hour epoxy as this will give plenty of time for the epoxy to settle nice and smooth and penetrate the fibers for a solid bond. Once cured, cut the holes with a fine tooth saw or hole saw. Once all the holes are cut, spray about 2-3 more coats of epoxy thinned with denatured alcohol. When cured spray a coat of clear lacquer if you're interested in the high gloss look. By using this method and care when applying the cloth the dash will look like it's 100% carbon manufactured.
Hope this kinda explains it. Again this is just my method as I'm sure there are other ways.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Fyrarms or anyone else - how hard was this kit to install from Dashkits.net ? Anyone try the kit that's not glossy? Am looking around for a dash kit and would appreciate hearing from others on their experiences. TIA!

P.S. Fyrarms - where can I see some pics of your car? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
The Sport Carbon dashkit from DashKits.net is wonderful. I got great service, a great price, and the kit is BEAUTIFUL. The non-glossy does have a bit of shine, don't be confused. It just doesn't have the "dipped in glass" appearance of the others. The carbon fiber pattern shows up better in daylight because of less glare. It looks more like a true hand-fabbed carbon dash.

I am a PICKY bastard when it comes to my car. I want everything top-notch and classy. I like my shit cleeeeeeeeeeeeean. No rice here. The Sport Carbon kit tastefully compliments my Sparco wheel, Sparco seats, and white-faced gauges. I recommend the kit highly. DashKits.net will be getting more business from me in the future. I may be picking up a 1998 540i Sport 6-speed that needs some accenting in the interior. ;)

As for my car, she is tucked away for the winter in the garage. I got a new digital camera for Xmas and will snap some photos. The car is currently in a state of "disarray". The nose, rockers, wing, hood, and rear bumper are off. Time for a body change! :D The wheels and tires are also being upgraded, so I will snap new photos when she's ready to come out of hibernation. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Cool

Okay, so you went for the kit that's not so glossy - cheaper too :D Was it very hard to install? It doesn't look hard but I expect that if you screw up and put a piece on crooked that it would look pretty bad. Does the glue "grab" hard or can you adjust it some before it sets? I noticed that same kit being sold elsewhere (Torasport) but the fact that they've got it pictured with a Supra is pretty cool (lol).

Wish he had a closer shot of th eSport kit. I'd appreciate it if you could take one and either post or send it to me.

Vs the Glossy

The owner said he went with aluminum in his car - don't think I could go for that in the Supra...:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts