Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
@llcoolgene
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know it's been awhile since the last carbon targa thread so i wanted to gather interest first. I found a company ( www.topshopheadliners.com ) that is willing to do the targa mold. The mold is going to cost $2,000 to make and the final product will be available at $1,200. I know this may be a big jump in price but also realize that carbon fiber has raised prices and is also very scarce at this moment. This is just a group buy interest. If we get around 15-20 people, the price will come down considerably, so the more merrier!! If we also gather enough interest i might be able do get the door panels in carbon as well.

If you just want the carbon overlayed it will be $600 plus shipping charges.

:bigok:

1)Suprama69
2)Ranger498
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
For people that need replacement targas this price is great as from toyota the metal skin alone is 1200. I would have been in, but i bought a new targa already. Good luck though!!

Alex

·
Boost Junkie
12,616 Posts
Yes,

It would be nice to get a final weight and also, do you have pictures of past work by this company. Fit and finish is equally important.

Steve K.

·
@llcoolgene
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would have to check on the final weight, but this piece will be a FULL carbon piece, the full skeleton, so weight is definitely going to be very light. I'll get the weight of the targa without any mouldings and headliner. If you want the headliner piece carbon that's extra..i believe another $400....if you want pics of their work please click on the link above. They have done several headliners for civics and full carbon door panels for the integra...

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm in but you can put me on the bottom of the list. Before I commit to $1,200 I need a guarantee that this thing will fit perfectly and will not rattle at all. But I am def interested so count me in.

Thanks,
Ash

·
@llcoolgene
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SupraStar2000 said:
I'm in but you can put me on the bottom of the list. Before I commit to $1,200 I need a guarantee that this thing will fit perfectly and will not rattle at all. But I am def interested so count me in.

Thanks,
Ash
That is all taken into consideration, that's why i made this an interest thread....i'm sure that they will take all our problems and suggestions and make this thing as perfect as the original. I will be using my targa as the mold and the targa is pristine condition.

·
Noise ≠ Power...
638 Posts
SupraStar2000 said:

Thanks,
Ash
I agree totally. I'd been throwing around the idea of commissioning someone to make a prototype out of carbon fiber and titanium, but just c/f alone should do nicely. See, a Supra w/o its targa top on is lighter than a Supra hardtop. That being said- if the weight of the c/f roof bridges the gap so that a Supra with c/f roof weighs just as much as a hardtop, I'm in no doubt! :bigthumb:

Also- these would come complete with the 4 plugs w/ center lock AND all the weather stripping already installed, correct? I'm lookin for grade AA here, not just grade A. If these 3 things can be met, I won't miss out!

·
@llcoolgene
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
ChizWizz47 said:
I agree totally. I'd been throwing around the idea of commissioning someone to make a prototype out of carbon fiber and titanium, but just c/f alone should do nicely. See, a Supra w/o its targa top on is lighter than a Supra hardtop. That being said- if the weight of the c/f roof bridges the gap so that a Supra with c/f roof weighs just as much as a hardtop, I'm in no doubt! :bigthumb:

Also- these would come complete with the 4 plugs w/ center lock AND all the weather stripping already installed, correct? I'm lookin for grade AA here, not just grade A. If these 3 things can be met, I won't miss out!
I'm pretty sure this thing will be light....i definitely get that question in there about weatherstripping and parts.....I'm definitely in the boat of having this thing be bad ass...what i'll probably do is send my targa down there just so they can inspect it ..my targa is already broken down (weatherstripping wise) i have all the bolts and center intact.... i'm getting new weatherstripping anyways......i should be able to send my targa there by next week...

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
I like the idea of keeping it as light as possible, but what about it's rigidity??? Is it just going to flex itself into oblivion?

Oh and just swapping out the targa for a lighter unit isn't going to get you into HT weight range. The stocker when I weighed it was something like 19lbs. A good chunk of the weight is from the hardware, weatherstripping and other shit.

Alex

·
@llcoolgene
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that was also one of my concerns as well...if we are on a speed bump or going on/off a driveway, will the the piece flex and crack?? i also put into the consideration of how carbon is strong as hell..., but the epoxy can crack as well....i will let them know about this situation also...thanks Alex

·
@llcoolgene
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dave Capone said:
How about you just have that company cover our stock dash panels :)
If you want that done just send your parts to them....

·
Registered
934 Posts
this is wet CF, not dry... alot heavier... check out the FAQ on their website

"The product weight varies between 1LB to 10LBs pending on it's size and weather its carbon fiber or fiberglass. Sorry but no they generally won't save weight because they are made for looks, but they shouldn't weigh more than the oem piece."

·
@llcoolgene
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mifesto said:
this is wet CF, not dry... alot heavier... check out the FAQ on their website

"The product weight varies between 1LB to 10LBs pending on it's size and weather its carbon fiber or fiberglass. Sorry but no they generally won't save weight because they are made for looks, but they shouldn't weigh more than the oem piece."

I believe this only for parts that are overlayed. They will creating a mold out of my targa piece. The concern in seeing a final piece was just like Modellista Designs Carbon Wingless Spoiler. Everybody wanted the 3 piece, but if he didn't gather enough interest, it would be useless to make the mold.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts