Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever wrapped urethane with carbon wrap. I am using the scotchprint 1080 series and have dropped the lip off at a a company the does automotive wrap and they just called to tell me the wrap is not sticking the the urethane and dont recommend that they continue with the project. I sent them an email to try some 3m 94 primer but not sure if it will help or not. Anyone have any suggestions I can give them?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Have they done a Scotchprint 1080 install before? I was able to fully wrap a spoiler that was urethane with no issues during install. I did use primer 94 only on the edges. The spoiler was not painted so it had smooth ready-to-paint surface and it was for an IS250. The adhesive is aggressive and forgiving. I have been surprised at the ability for the Scotchprint 1080 to install almost anywhere.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well after talking with the shop I have taken the lip back from them. They didnt try any primer but the vinyl was pulling off so easy that I wasnt sure if primer would help at all. I may just have the lip painted to match the color of the car. In doing so can any shop do this? Do they make some sort of primer made for urethane bumpers to get them ready for paint?

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,478 Posts
Well after talking with the shop I have taken the lip back from them. They didnt try any primer but the vinyl was pulling off so easy that I wasnt sure if primer would help at all. I may just have the lip painted to match the color of the car. In doing so can any shop do this? Do they make some sort of primer made for urethane bumpers to get them ready for paint?
I believe we have experts with both paint and these vinyl wraps who could offer a bit of input, hopefully they see this thread. The reason the lip could be painted is because the lip is prepared to accept and hold the paint. If the finish is left glossy, there is little room for adhesion. When painting urethane the part is sanded to provide "tooth" for the materials to adhere to it. I think the vinyl would work just fine if the part was prepped like it was about to be painted.

I know memeber 'antracitekid' has wrapped his RMM lip, and others have wrapped the stock ABS plastic lip, so it is a task that can be completed.

Good luck. Perhaps you could email around other providers and ask for some tips or guidance.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The 3M primer 94 is very clear and dries fast so it can be applied wherever the film is going. It really makes the 1080's adhesive agressive and allows a better surface to adhere to, just like paint would need a primer coat. In some cases i would recommend getting the surface of the lip sanded if for some reason the surface is uneven or rough.

·
Registered
815 Posts
i got it done on a RMM lip, wouldn't suggest you do the same. It sticks better on painted surfacese, but still in time it starts to come up in spots and a PITA to keep it down. Also, if you ever scratch it pulling out of the driveway, stuff comes right off. Looks decent though.

(old setup)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.