Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Banned
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using one yet?

Mine just arrived at the shop, and it looks like a VERY complete kit. We have installed tiltons, RPS, etc...and in comparison, this thing should be pretty serious. It comes with an actual owners manual(others do not), which consists of 12 pages of install instructions, and operating techniques. I dont know of anyone using it, and I am not claiming its good or bad in anyway.

But, I will be beating this thing senseless at the track and on the street and WILL report my findings with it, wether they are good or bad. Im curious to hear from any drag racers, as the heating procedure seems pretty tricky. I just hope it eliminates the "jerky" 1-2 shift associated with heavy plated single discs. If it drive smooth and holds my measly 800ish wheel, ill be stoked.

Ill take some pics on monday!

[email protected]

·
Banned
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Taken from the site:

ATS full carbon triple clutch - the answer to the extreme drag racing situation

To completely eliminate trouble with repeated clutch operations in drag racing (drag launches warp iron parts), the pressure plate and the middle plate (floating plate) are also made of distortion free carbon material. The combination of specially designed pressure plate and new carbon composite of longer wear range has put an end to the fear of insufficient clutch disengagement.

^That is a pic of the EVO version. The 2J one converts from push to pull, and includes everything: Line, fork, fulcrum, throwout, slave, bolts, everything OEM Toyota! Between the instructions and the kit being very thorough, im impressed so far :)

--Alot of the EVO guys are loving this clutch, and although they dont typically generate the type of power we do, they beat the shit out of clutches putting power to all 4 wheels. The vendor I purchased this from as well as the instructions demand a STRICT 600+ mile break in period. It is rated at 1480 Crank, I believe.

·
Damn my stomach is sick!
711 Posts
Ncie clutch!!

How much it weights? And the flywheel?

Thanks!

Fabio

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Hot damn. 600 mile break-in? That will be hard to do since it seems like you need to be pretty careful, or at least that is what I was getting from your first post. You could do that in one day though if you wanted to. :D

Is this thing about the same price as the Carbon Carbon, or more towards the Tilton?

Alex

·
Super Moderator
10,581 Posts

·
Sleeper King
2,235 Posts
These are some serious clutches. We're going to try one in our TT 350z.

Formely ATS Clutches (US change) they have lot's of experience. We'll see how their product works out for some decent power :)

Chris

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Is that the torque rating? If not, do you know what it is? TIA,

Ken.
This is for a 350z application, but I suspect it should be the same for all the other car applications.

This is truely the ultimate clutch on the market. ATS has been making clutches for many years, but only recently began marketing their products in the USA. Becuase of their limited marketing budget, you dont hear about this brand as often as Exedy and some of the other brands out there. But the ATS twin carbon disc clutch will likely be the last clutch you ever buy. It is rated at 700ft/lbs of holding power, but has stock enagement and pedal pressure. The entire assembly weighs just under 26lbs, and includes a lightened flywheel and bearing. Becuase it use full floating pure carbon twin disc, these clutch doesnt chatter like other racing clutches, and with the carbon surface, the clutch actually grabs MORE as you heat it up, rather than overheating and slipping like a conventional clutch. We also offer a triple disc carbon clutch, and an option of a heavier flywheel. Email us for details on these items. They are good for well over 1100ft/lbs of holding power. An optional carbon heat treated flywheel and pressure plate is availble for an extra $100. EMAIL US about the single disc, triple disc options. Will beat any competitor's price
Also the application list.
http://www.intecracing.com/ATSPriceList.htm
http://www.intecracing.com/ATSCarbonClutchPriceList.htm

Alex

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I have a twin disc ATS Carbon/Carbon in my turbo IS300 making just shy of 700whp. So far it has been GREAT!!! It does make some noise, but nothing un-bearable, and it has held the power on the street and at the track so far without any problems to speak of. I am pretty impressed with this clutch. Easy to slip and drive around town, and it seems noticeably lighter than my RPS C/C (revs much quicker!!).

Tim

·
Banned
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a twin disc ATS Carbon/Carbon in my turbo IS300 making just shy of 700whp. So far it has been GREAT!!! It does make some noise, but nothing un-bearable, and it has held the power on the street and at the track so far without any problems to speak of. I am pretty impressed with this clutch. Easy to slip and drive around town, and it seems noticeably lighter than my RPS C/C (revs much quicker!!).

Tim
Thats good to hear! I have the heavy flywheel, and the heat treating on the PP and FLY as well. The whole assembly seems hefty, but thats what I want, the weight should make it a bit easier to drive.

Im gonna install it tonight, should time permit, so hopefully Ill have some first impressions tomorrow!

Josh

·
Registered
327 Posts
What is the cost? And what is the weight of the total assy.?

[ EDIT: Just saw the price list....$2370 looks like for the Supra TT 6spd ]

·
Banned
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
got some pics, excuse the sub-par quality:

SPARE Hardware! Lol, Ive had one of the bigger name clutches come with the WRONG hardware, causing me to have to do the job twice :nono:

Racegate, I could be wrong, but I think thats the list for the TWIN. I thought the triple was more like 3Kish list.

·
Banned
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I havent put it in as of yert, its summer time already here and Im dreading the break in! I will however be putting it in as soon as we have a lift freed up, and will be keeping yall in the know!

Josh

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Any updates on this?

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
Bang for the buck you can't beat this clutch. This clutch is a 9" triple carbon clutch for the price of a RPS twin. It has a 1-piece high strength steel flywheel and a billet aluminum pressure plate vs the RPS multipiece aluminum flywheel with a stamped steel pressure plate. It is also completely rivetless construction. It uses OEM toyota parts to convert the clutch from pull to push and there is a 8 sec skyline beating on this clutch in Australia. I believe you can also get a steel pressure plate for heavier mass and easier clutch modulation.

The other advantage I see is the way the carbon discs are treated during manufacturing. No one else offers this sort of treatment.

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
i have done two personally.

a 1jz triple in my friends 240sx w/2jz 76mm semi built motor.. makes about 700whp at 26psi never a problem so far, makes some chatter, but its to be expected from a multidisk clutch

also a triple on a built 76mm, 150 shot supra. has gone [email protected] and runs consistant 10.1's 6 months no problems.

realy good clutch, and very good customer service. also they include everything..

·
Super Moderator
10,581 Posts
Bang for the buck you can't beat this clutch. This clutch is a 9" triple carbon clutch for the price of a RPS twin. It has a 1-piece high strength steel flywheel and a billet aluminum pressure plate vs the RPS multipiece aluminum flywheel with a stamped steel pressure plate. It is also completely rivetless construction. It uses OEM toyota parts to convert the clutch from pull to push and there is a 8 sec skyline beating on this clutch in Australia. I believe you can also get a steel pressure plate for heavier mass and easier clutch modulation.

The other advantage I see is the way the carbon discs are treated during manufacturing. No one else offers this sort of treatment.
This post and basupra's carry a lot of weight with me. Tim (basupra) really knows his stuff, and Carchitect is just in another world...he's that good, IMO. As I just told my good friend Guilly, if I had to pop for a clutch today that would hold huge torque, the Carbonetics triple would likely be the one.

Ken.

1 - 20 of 215 Posts