Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I trying to reduce the weight of my vehicle and instead of completly removing the crash bars, I thaught it would be a good idea to replace them with carbonfibre or fiberglass. I got this idea when I friend of mine was repairing the front end of an Acura Legend. The crash bar that was there, seems like it was made of fiberglass. I think it's good to keep something behind the bumpers to keep the allignment and at the same time I can save some weight. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
no

grab a hammer and pound carbon fiber or fiberglass and see what happens. Now mulitply that force 1000x fold. Minus well not even have a crash support. Carbon fiber has extremly great tensile stregth. It's shear strength is on the south side of horrible though.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
The structure you observed on the Acura may have just been a bumper support, with the crash support being past that. Dunno. Don't remove the metal from the front of your Supra though.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
they use those bumpers on cars all the time. its not fiberglass htough.

its fiberglass reinforced resin. GM uses this on some of their cars. it splinters like full fiberglass does.

honestly, i would actually rather take a cue from the 350Z's and have a reinforced aluminum bumper support. they pass DOT and NHSTA crash tests using aluminum bumper supports. beef it up a little bit and put it on the supra. should be good enough

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
Enraged said:
supras will never be light, just less heavy...

:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey thanks for the opinions guys. I just might make it out of aluminum. Keep in mind that I drive the car 1 or 2 days a week only during the summer. This was just an idea for drag racing and maybe to pass a visual test if I were to get pulled over.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts