Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a set of Carbotech Panther Plus brake pads to try out on my mkiv Supra. In in the interests of full disclosure, I got them for free to try them out, but I would not have good things to say about them unless I thought they were good pads. I have previously used Porterfield R4E pads on the racetrack and used stock Toyo pads on the street. I've put some street and track miles on the Panther Plus pads, and was impressed with them for both types of use. On the street, they have a higher coefficient of friction than the stock pads (stop harder with the same amount of pedal pressure) and don't seem dust more than the stock pads (which are not the most dust free pads...)

I spent a day with them at Thunderhill Raceway, and they worked well there too. Andie from Carbotech warned me that even with the recommended break-in on the street, they would probably fade during the first session, and they did after a hard lap or two and getting good and smelly. After a cooldown lap and some time in the pits, I went back out and was able to push them at least as hard as the R4Es before they started to fade. The limit for both at Thunderhill on my car is about 4-5 hard laps, late braking and standing on the brakes at every corner. With less aggressive braking (but still driving fast), I didn't get any fade out of them at all. At a typical track event where you have to wait for slower traffic periodically, you'd probably rarely experience any fade with them even with hard braking. The event I used them at only had 28 cars total, and there were usually less than 10 cars on the track at any time, which allowed for virtually unlimited unobstructed laps. I run brake ducts on my car, which are ridiculously cheap and easy to setup on a mkiv (see the tech article on mkiv.com), which should be considered mandatory for any cars that see track use (are you listening Andi? :) They seem to have a higher coefficient of friction than the Porterfields, and more initial "bite", which I liked.

They did seem to go away a little faster than the Porterfields when they did start to fade, but not to an excessive degree. They would still stop at 75-80% of the normal rate, but required a lot more pedal pressure. I also got more wear out of them (1/3-1/2 of the pad gone)in 100 track miles than I usually do with the Porterfields, but I was braking harder than normal to give them a good workout, so I can't draw any conclusions there.

Overall, I was very impressed with the pads. They work well work as a track pad if you switch pads out before track events. I've always been of the opinion that there is no such thing as a good dual-duty pad, but the Panther Plus pads are good for both types of use too if you're too lazy to swap out pads :)

Eric Typpo

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I think they might actually dust less than the stock pads on the street, but I'm too lazy to ever clean my wheels so I could be wrong. Haven't had a chance to use them at a track event yet. They do take a stop or two to warm up for temp, which might be a problem for those of us too lazy to remove brake ducts after the track :)

So in terms of fade, the P+s are about equal to R4Es but not as good as the Hawk Blues?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grant said:
I think they might actually dust less than the stock pads on the street, but I'm too lazy to ever clean my wheels so I could be wrong. Haven't had a chance to use them at a track event yet. They do take a stop or two to warm up for temp, which might be a problem for those of us too lazy to remove brake ducts after the track :)

So in terms of fade, the P+s are about equal to R4Es but not as good as the Hawk Blues?
I haven't used Hawk Blues on my Supra (used them on another car), but that's my best guess. Blues are the most fade resistant pad I've ever used. However, both the Porterfields and Panther Plus are a LOT easier on rotors than the Hawks, which end up being an expensive pad when you factor rotor replacement costs in. I've gone through a fresh set of rotors in a day with the Blues. Andie from Carbotech mentioned that they have an even higher temperature compound for track only use that is still supposed to be rotor friendly that I have not used.

Eric

R

·
0 Posts
I have a set of Panther Plus pads waiting to go on my car, so it's good to hear positive feedback for 'em.

I've had a set of the earlier Panther pads on my '88 crx for over a year and i only have positive things to say about them. I've been on Laguna and Sears with them(same set!!!....but hey, it only weighs 1900lbs...)and their only now ready for replacement, and that includes plenty of street driving.

The Hawk Blues are probably better for strictly track driving, but i think the Panthers hold up quite well, considering their decent street manners. Well, i cant wait to try them out on my supra:)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
R5-Turbo said:
I have a set of Panther Plus pads waiting to go on my car, so it's good to hear positive feedback for 'em.

I've had a set of the earlier Panther pads on my '88 crx for over a year and i only have positive things to say about them. I've been on Laguna and Sears with them(same set!!!....but hey, it only weighs 1900lbs...)and their only now ready for replacement, and that includes plenty of street driving.

The Hawk Blues are probably better for strictly track driving, but i think the Panthers hold up quite well, considering their decent street manners. Well, i cant wait to try them out on my supra:)
If you liked the regular Panthers, you'll really like the Plusses. I have used the regular Panthers in the past, and had more fade issues with them on track. They faded earlier, and when they went away, they went away fast. The Plusses are much better in that regard. It has been awhile since I used the Panthers, but I think the Plusses dust a little less on the street too.

Eric

C

·
0 Posts
Carbotech: Panther Plus and Panther XP

We have completed final testing on the new Panther XP, and from what we can see...the performance is amazing. One of our testers said, "It even outperforms the Hawk HT-9...much easier to modulate, the release is excellent, the braking torque is better, and it is still rotor friendly."

Basically, the jump in performance from the Panther to the Panther Plus has been repliated again, from the Panther Plus to the Panther XP.

I think the people who can benefit from the new XP are those with very fast and/or heavy vehicles.

We're still looking to work closely with Supra owners, so I have the following to offer:

FROM NOW UNTIL DECEMBER 15, 2001, FOR EVERY ORDER OF COMPLETE BRAKE PADS (FRONT AND REAR), I WILL INCLUDE A FREE BOTTLE OF AP RACING 5501 BRAKE FLUID. ORDERS MUST BE FOR 1993-98 TOYOTA SUPRA'S IN OUR PANTHER PLUS COMPOUND.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance to you. You can e-mail me at [email protected] with any questions you may have, or call me at 877-899-5024.

With Best Regards,

Andie

R

·
0 Posts
XP Pads

Great to hear about a new "Track" pad for our cars! Well, i allready have my pads(about two weeks ago), so i guess i'll miss out on the Carbotech special offer, But i cant wait to try out the new XP Carbotech pads in the future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts