Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought Carbotech XP10 fronts and XP8 rears recently and couldn't be happier. The improvement over the stock pads is massive!! And these don't act like "race" pads, i.e. some race pads are only good only in certain temperature ranges, squeal like crazy, lots of corrosive dust, etc. These have very light squeal during low speed street stops (although not every time) and definitely not more dust than stock, in fact, they seem to dust less!! These feel great as soon as you hit the street and don't seem to be eating my rotors, they are said to be much gentler on rotors than say HP Blues and most definitely have less dust/non corrosive dust.

The first thing you notice is the excellent initial bite, which is lacking in the stockers. This VICE GRIP feel gives you confidence that huge braking is ready whenever you need it, and they deliver on the promise, these are pads to throw your passenger into the windshield. :) Whereas the stock Supra was comparable to (actually better than most) exotics in its day, these pads with the stock rotors + braided steel lines + good brake fluid and sticky street tires probably put the Supra in league with some of the better big $$$ exotics of TODAY, they are that good. I will try to get some G-Tech braking numbers at some point.

I'm looking forward to road racing them soon, I have a friend with the same brake setup as me that recently ran them at Road Atlanta and he was highly impressed. I noticed his lap times were several seconds faster as well, no doubt the pads were part of that. He was able to outbrake a C6 Z06 with upgraded pads (I believe Hawk HP Plus), part may have been better driver skill, but there is no doubt in my mind he would NOT have been outbraking that Z06 with stock pads!

The only drawback is price ($319 for all four), but the way I see it, getting race pad level performance while still being quiet, low dust/non-corrosive dust, and having such excellent feel, is well worth it. I'm not even going to bother switching them out when not tracking, I'll just leave 'em in all the time, they are very civillized.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I was a big carbotech fan unti they screwed over one of their guys who many folks looked to for tech help and sale/support. As a result I know they lost a lot of racers/track guys for it.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
I'll see what else I can find out about this personal story, I may have to reconsider my view of Carbotech.

Otherwise, I always liked Carbotech's a lot. My last pad set was XP8's all around until recently when I had my car in for some work and had them look at my pads; they were almost worn out, probably could have gotten a couple more track days or many street miles, but I just replaced them anyway with XP10's all around. So far on the street they feel GREAT!!! (imagine Tony the Tiger yelling that) ...anyway, I have no track time on them yet but that will be this Saturday at Pocono and this will also be my first track day with the single turbo setup so I hope I can put the brakes to good use, plus this will be my first time on track with SS braided brake lines and Motul 600. A couple new little things to enhance the fun.

For me both the XP8's and now the XP10's have very good initial bite even when cold, great ...FAR greater than stock stopping when hot, no noise, and reasonable dusting; and they don't seem to tear up the rotors either.

·
Super Moderator
10,581 Posts
Blitz and Nick,

Thanks for the reviews. I've been sort of looking for some pads for my red car and these may be it. I'd be interested in why Blitz went 10s and 8s and Nick went with 10s all around. Any additional info as you guys put more miles on these pads, and Nick reports on his track day, would be GREATLY appreciated.

Also, if either, or both, of you know how these pads compare to the Ferodo DS 2500s and DS 3000s, I'd be interested in hearing your views on these as well. TIA,

Ken.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Blitz and Nick,

Thanks for the reviews. I've been sort of looking for some pads for my red car and these may be it. I'd be interested in why Blitz went 10s and 8s and Nick went with 10s all around. Any additional info as you guys put more miles on these pads, and Nick reports on his track day, would be GREATLY appreciated.

Also, if either, or both, of you know how these pads compare to the Ferodo DS 2500s and DS 3000s, I'd be interested in hearing your views on these as well. TIA,

Ken.
A friend of mine (TGIF 1) has tracked his Supra many, many times and recommended this combo based on his experience. He has since moved on to the more hardcore 12/10 combo, but I think 10/8 is fantastic for me. It's ideal for the fronts brakes to be slightly stronger than the rears so the rear end behaves under hard braking, which is why he uses staggered combos.

·
Super Moderator
10,581 Posts
A friend of mine (TGIF 1) has tracked his Supra many, many times and recommended this combo based on his experience. He has since moved on to the more hardcore 12/10 combo, but I think 10/8 is fantastic for me. It's ideal for the fronts brakes to be slightly stronger than the rears so the rear end behaves under hard braking, which is why he uses staggered combos.

Thanks, Blitz. I was thinking 10/8 for the same reasons. I may very well pop for these for my red car. I have the Ferodo DS 2500s on my black car, which are the best pads I've ever had, but trying the Carbotechs on my red car will allow me to compare and contrast without any real downfall based upon your review and Nick's. I already know, from your review, that the Carbotechs dust less than the Ferodos which dust a LOT, although they do have to-die for stopping power and do not squeal in the least. Thanks again.

Ken.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
I agree that the 10/8 or 12/10 combos, or other brand combos where the fronts are more aggressive, make sense since the fronts do so much more braking. But the 8/8 worked fine for me for two years so I'm trying the 10/10's now. I have not felt front to rear brake imbalance during several years of tracking my Supra ...a wild guess is that maybe my Racelogic traction control might cover any imbalance so I don't even feel it, but I'm not sure.

I also just call Carbotech and order direct, a couple days later they're here. http://www.ctbrakes.com/overview.html

·
4,109 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I started using Carbotech pad's about 7+ years ago on my Brembos...When they were located here in Florida... and have been ever since.. Great Pads

Here's their number: 704 481-8500 Larry

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Well I came back from my track day today and the XP10's all around felt absolutely great on my car. I had no negative braking issues at all, they just hauled me down perfectly, no fade, no imbalance (ref the 10/8 concept). Even on my hottest laps when I could smell the pads, they did the deed. I'm very happy with them. I wish there was such a thing as zero dust but that's fantasy. For reference, I'm also on stock rotors and this was the Pocono East Course which is considered tight and technical rather than high speed, so perhaps less stressful on brakes. The longest straight had me braking only from about 115mph, though the rest of the course is a lot of short bursts and hard braking but not from real high speeds.

·
The Boost Machine
490 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I have heard nothing but good things about these pads.. I am planning on purchasing some new rotors along with these pads.. I dont track my car, but I do a lot of high speed runs and I need to be able to stop at well over 150mph...

·
Super Moderator
10,581 Posts
Well I came back from my track day today and the XP10's all around felt absolutely great on my car. I had no negative braking issues at all, they just hauled me down perfectly, no fade, no imbalance (ref the 10/8 concept). Even on my hottest laps when I could smell the pads, they did the deed. I'm very happy with them. I wish there was such a thing as zero dust but that's fantasy. For reference, I'm also on stock rotors and this was the Pocono East Course which is considered tight and technical rather than high speed, so perhaps less stressful on brakes. The longest straight had me braking only from about 115mph, though the rest of the course is a lot of short bursts and hard braking but not from real high speeds.

Thanks for your review, Nick. I was waiting on it. I haven't decided yet whether I will go 10/8 or 10/10 like you. My car is lowered with Tein Flex coilovers and some chassis mods. I may go with the 10/10s like you because I have eliminated a bit of the rear-to-front weight transfer with my suspension set-up, allowing me to take better advantage of my rear brakes. Either way, I don't think I can lose if these pads are all they are cracked up to be.

Ken.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
You're welcome, Ken. My car is lowered a little over 1-1/4" on coilovers and corner balanced but with stock sway bars. I always thought of myself as not being a stiff sway bar kinda guy, but I may change my mind this track season if my cornering speeds go up and stiffer sway bars help me corner faster ...not sure on that yet.

I have heard nothing but good things about these pads.. I am planning on purchasing some new rotors along with these pads.. I dont track my car, but I do a lot of high speed runs and I need to be able to stop at well over 150mph...
While this track day my braking was from under 120, after I got the pads installed I went out to bed them in ...btw proper bedding is very important for any high perf pads. After bedding them real good, I tested them out on some abandoned high speed private roads near my house ;) and I can assure you that they haul the car down from 165mph as good as they do from 120. If I attend the SCCA PDX day at Pocono on June 15/16, the track setup for that is quite high speed. I'll be slowing down at the end of the main straight from well over 160 since I hit that with my stock twins last year and now I'll have at least 100 hp more.

·
Super Moderator
10,581 Posts
Nick'

What's Carbotech's recommended bedding-in procedure.

Ken.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As an update to my review, the Carbotechs definitely seem to dust LESS than stock. A friend of mine with the same setup has reached the same conclusion. NICE side benefit of these awesome pads! :agreed:

·
OG
1,059 Posts
Nick -

It just occurred to me that Charles and Ron track at Road Atlanta, where you're looking at "oh lord please slow me down" downhill braking from about 140 mph+ just before 10A; the downhill component effects even greater weight transfer than would be the case in level or near level braking. It might make more sense for them to have that pad difference than others.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts