Supra Forums banner

181 - 193 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
My stock trans lived for a long time at 535whp back in the day. I also ran 2 coolers and kept an eye on temps.

Steve

What is the best trans cooler to run? I am running the Derale single electric fan? Are there dual fan coolers? Or is the Derale good enough?
I am running a built auto.

·
I wanna go fast!
856 Posts
What is the best trans cooler to run? I am running the Derale single electric fan? Are there dual fan coolers? Or is the Derale good enough?
I have a bl built auto with a b&m cooler and a fan on a 175 thermostat. The cooler dissipates plenty of heat in the passenger fender where the ic used to be. I'm running a 3800 pi stall. I'll probably get a lot of hate for this but I think a lot of people really go overboard with the cooling on the auto. If your cooler dissipates enough heat to keep up on a 170 or 180 thermostat, you are fine. If you road race this may be a different story but in 100 degree weather with ac blasting and city or highway driving, mine was fine. Fan was always able to cycle. I was running 15 psi on gas and stock long block. More power and you may need more cooling as well. Again, if you can cycle your fan on a 170 or 180 you are cooling well.

·
Super Moderator
3,777 Posts
I'm going to be doing a triple cooler set up. two B&M coolers with fans on each brake duct, then a Mocal 40row on the radiator. overkill but a cooler trans is a happy trans.

·
Registered
8 Posts
called toyota to get some T4 ATF for the supra and they kept telling me to get the dexron III fluid instead. wtf
T-IV started to be shipped in vehicles in late-late 90s early 00s. WS started around ~04.
Up until ~2010 Toyota would put on the transmission dipstick what kind of fluid to add. Usually the white sticker
ALL OEM tranny pan drain bolts will show DIII or TIV on it. Crawl under and look.

Hope this helps.

*edit* DO NOT mix any of the three types.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
since this is the auto trans thread, how many of you would think the car would benefit from running well made all aluminum radiator with internal auto cooler in line with a filter an other external filters? or would you rather not have it connected to the rad at all.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Installed my auto trans temp on filter housing. Current routing transmission, external filter, trans cooler, back to trans. First time seeing auto trans data and surprised it takes 5+ minutes to crack 120'F and was in the 130-140 until parking/traffic speed where it went to 150s. Any issues with the slow warm up?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I've got a ATF Stage 3 built auto and was wondering if I can keep my OD on on the highway when doing a WOT pull or even at the dragstrip(which I haven't done yet).

·
Registered
429 Posts
No not recommended ...

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Perfect sounds good. I usually take it off O/D before I do a pull on the highway.
Don't do it "usually", do it always. Just letting it downshift into 3rd by pressing the throttle still keeps the O/D band applied, according to ATF. They say to unlock O/D before doing a pull.

Al

·
Registered
306 Posts
Don't do it "usually", do it always. Just letting it downshift into 3rd by pressing the throttle still keeps the O/D band applied, according to ATF. They say to unlock O/D before doing a pull.

Al
Sorry, I worded it wrong I do always take it off O/D before a pull

·
Registered
306 Posts
Back with another question. So did a pull and maxed out at 133mph at 7200 rpm in 3rd gear on the highway in mexico. So I'm wondering is it safe to go into 4th(O/D) when trying to chase more speed once I'm at the top of 3rd? If so how? If not...what could I do to reach a higher top speed like what gearing would be appropriate? 3.27 gears? But also don't want to limit myself too much on acceleration as well. This car is an ATF built Stage 3 transmission as well if that makes a difference. Trying to learn as much as I can from you all with experience with this transmission.

Thanks.

181 - 193 of 193 Posts