Supra Forums banner

201 - 220 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
1994 MKIV Supra Turbo - Auto
130 Posts
Back with another question. So did a pull and maxed out at 133mph at 7200 rpm in 3rd gear on the highway in mexico. So I'm wondering is it safe to go into 4th(O/D) when trying to chase more speed once I'm at the top of 3rd? If so how? If not...what could I do to reach a higher top speed like what gearing would be appropriate? 3.27 gears? But also don't want to limit myself too much on acceleration as well. This car is an ATF built Stage 3 transmission as well if that makes a difference. Trying to learn as much as I can from you all with experience with this transmission.

Thanks.
I'm also having the exact same problem where I feel it's running out of gear. Did you get that 6speed Diff installed? Curious how it feels around the street. My setup is very similary to yours with ATF Stage 3 and about 800rwhp.

thanks!

·
2,247 Posts
I hit the limiter at 158mph in 4th. So yeah I would say you could do it safely. It pulled strongly till the speed limiter said no more. It still had revs to go. Totally stock trans and a few years ago when I did this on a very long trip back to Chicago.

·
Super Moderator
3,872 Posts
I'm also having the exact same problem where I feel it's running out of gear. Did you get that 6speed Diff installed? Curious how it feels around the street. My setup is very similary to yours with ATF Stage 3 and about 800rwhp.

thanks!
I have a 220MM 6spd diff in mine. and I'm most likely sure I can take this Hoe up to 200MPH. third gear I was at 176MPH at like 7400RPM's

·
Registered
309 Posts

thanks!
Haven't gotten it installed yet as I'll put an OS Giken LSD into it as well but that is probably a project for next year. I live in Canada so our dollar is absolute trash right now with this whole Covid19 mess so it kind of delayed that.

I hit the limiter at 158mph in 4th. So yeah I would say you could do it safely. It pulled strongly till the speed limiter said no more. It still had revs to go. Totally stock trans and a few years ago when I did this on a very long trip back to Chicago.

So you go into Overdrive when doing pulls? I mean like going WOT then when you hit the limit in third you put it into 4th(OD)?

I have a 220MM 6spd diff in mine. and I'm most likely sure I can take this Hoe up to 200MPH. third gear I was at 176MPH at like 7400RPM's

Movin quick! I actually wrote on one of your IG posts to figure out what gearing you had and you led me on my search to get a 6 speed diff. I got the 200MM 6 speed diff though...

·
2,247 Posts
So you go into Overdrive when doing pulls? I mean like going WOT then when you hit the limit in third you put it into 4th(OD)?
Yep, only way I could go 150+ mph. Trans shifted no problem and kept pulling. The electronic limiter stopped the acceleration, but there was more to go.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Who here has successfully paired an ATF built trans with an AEM V1? I eventually will upgrade to a much better and more modern ECU but was wondering if I could do this before upgrading said ECU in the meantime?

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Just flat out using V1 with a Toyo auto? No. The V1 needs modified.

ATF can modify your AEM program to work with the trans, but not sure if that was both V1 and V2 or just V2. Call them.

Al

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
For those with stock TT auto with upgraded valve body to try to handle more HP/Tq, how is the driveability affected with the extra line pressure.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
With a built auto, it "thumps" on every shift. Enough to jolt the steering wheel on occasions, lol!

Regarding trans temp: for the people that drive their car in cold weather, do you find that you can't get the trans temperature high enough?

I have the temperature probe in the pan. In 80 deg temps, the trans gets to 145-150 deg. When it's 50 deg, it gets to 120-125, when it's 40 deg, more like 115, and when it's in the 30's, I find it hard to crack 100! If I stop and sit at a light, it creeps up a little, but returns to the same temp in no time.

I am half-tempted to block off the auxiliary cooler until it warms up. Last night, I was boosting with 95 deg trans temps. Before I had the gauge, I am sure I was "on" the car with 70-75 trans temps.

Al

·
Super Moderator
3,872 Posts
With a built auto, it "thumps" on every shift. Enough to jolt the steering wheel on occasions, lol!

Regarding trans temp: for the people that drive their car in cold weather, do you find that you can't get the trans temperature high enough?

I have the temperature probe in the pan. In 80 deg temps, the trans gets to 145-150 deg. When it's 50 deg, it gets to 120-125, when it's 40 deg, more like 115, and when it's in the 30's, I find it hard to crack 100! If I stop and sit at a light, it creeps up a little, but returns to the same temp in no time.

I am half-tempted to block off the auxiliary cooler until it warms up. Last night, I was boosting with 95 deg trans temps. Before I had the gauge, I am sure I was "on" the car with 70-75 trans temps.

Al
That doesn’t sound right, even getting on it you should be building some heat. I’ve driven mine in the 30’s and it’s maybe 10-15* cooler from operating temps. I use factory temp sensor with proefi gauge

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I understand you get a lot lower reading from the pan, where I have the sensor. 34 deg air blowing across the cooler really drops the temperature for me.

Admittedly, I have not sat in much traffic since I installed the sensor. But in the summer, the temp rises fast just idling in the driveway after a hard run, that's pretty much the only time it hits 150+. Then if I were to drive again, 85+ deg temps hardly drop the temp at all, compared to 30 deg temps.

I also am running Dex 3 synthetic fluid per ATF's recommendation. He did say they ran the fluid because it ran much cooler.

Al

·
Registered
18 Posts

Al
I run a Mocal oil thermostat on mine, its set at 70'Celsius, once up to temp it stays there basically. You can get them in push fit and threaded connection. I would recommend one.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I use factory temp sensor with proefi gauge
The factory sensor is on the outlet of the trans. The fluid is always hotter at that spot. I was talking about the reading in the pan, which is after the coolers. ATF recommended taking the reading from there, and welded the bung on for me.

The temp got up to 122 deg today driving in 45 deg temps.

Al

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
ATF Stage 4 is a hardcore setup - mechanical diode, etc. So you're upgrading from a Stage 3 to Stage 4, correct? The reason I am asking is the Stage 4 didn't exist two yrs ago, at least on their website it didn't.

When I last talked to him, he said they were developing a standalone trans controller for the A340E. Sounds pretty cool.

I would love to have a full manual automatic, but I don't see it happening with this trans. Part throttle manual shifts are very harsh with this trans with the high line pressures they use. 1-2 is brutal, and 3-4 also. 2-3 is just right. My old school built auto was the same way though.

Al

201 - 220 of 225 Posts