Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone built a "Carputer" for the MAP-ECU1or 2? I am very interested in doing this and would liek to know what is required...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
My plan- thin Laptop under passenger seat with audigy 2 zs PCMIA. Will have 3 mini plug outputs that i'll be adapting to RCA and running to my amps. Two port power inverter in the center console with one plug going to the power brick for the laptop, the other going to the power brick for the xenarc touchscreen mounted in the double din spot on the dash. VGA and USB cable (for touch) running to the screen and USB/serial adapter running to MAP ECU

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
how will you be booting up the laptop every time you start the car?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My plan- thin Laptop under passenger seat with audigy 2 zs PCMIA. Will have 3 mini plug outputs that i'll be adapting to RCA and running to my amps. Two port power inverter in the center console with one plug going to the power brick for the laptop, the other going to the power brick for the xenarc touchscreen mounted in the double din spot on the dash. VGA and USB cable (for touch) running to the screen and USB/serial adapter running to MAP ECU
Why are you running it to your amps... I'm guessing your not going to have a regular Radio?
I would actually like to have a dedicated carputer just for the MAp-ECU with the Monitor mounted in the Driver side Visor

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Ah sorry forgot to add that the laptop is a gateway that has a "power panel" if you will that has controls for power on, vol up, vol dwn, play/pause, next, previous and it hooks via a ribbon cable to the board. I'm taking the portion of this panel that has the PCB attached to it (about 4 inches long x 1 inch high and molding it in just under the screen. I'm having a local custom cable company make me a 6' long ribbon to go from the motherboard to the control PCB. Will function very nicely :biggrin:. If you want to have a visor screen, you can do the exact same thing I did, just don't run audio to your amps and mount the screen in the visor. You can still do the power function depending on how your laptop is designed (have to take it apart to find out). I should also mention that the laptop has a bluetooth module so if I do feel the need for a mouse/keyboard I have a small bluetooth keyboard and mouse that I will keep under the driver seat, and the bluetooth will connect with my phone that has sprint broadband access providing a 2Mb/s connection for the laptop allowing me to not only stream in music but also to stream in TV from my slingbox at home :biggrin:. I'm running a microphone up my a-pillar as well to provide a speakerphone function also via bluetooth.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah sorry forgot to add that the laptop is a gateway that has a "power panel" if you will that has controls for power on, vol up, vol dwn, play/pause, next, previous and it hooks via a ribbon cable to the board. I'm taking the portion of this panel that has the PCB attached to it (about 4 inches long x 1 inch high and molding it in just under the screen. I'm having a local custom cable company make me a 6' long ribbon to go from the motherboard to the control PCB. Will function very nicely :biggrin:. If you want to have a visor screen, you can do the exact same thing I did, just don't run audio to your amps and mount the screen in the visor. You can still do the power function depending on how your laptop is designed (have to take it apart to find out). I should also mention that the laptop has a bluetooth module so if I do feel the need for a mouse/keyboard I have a small bluetooth keyboard and mouse that I will keep under the driver seat, and the bluetooth will connect with my phone that has sprint broadband access providing a 2Mb/s connection for the laptop allowing me to not only stream in music but also to stream in TV from my slingbox at home :biggrin:. I'm running a microphone up my a-pillar as well to provide a speakerphone function also via bluetooth.
Wow, that sounds fantastic!! Let us know how it turns out.. post pic's when you can :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
12volt.com has a forum that goes over this a billion times over. you should check it out to see if you can get any help from it.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
12volt.com has a forum that goes over this a billion times over. you should check it out to see if you can get any help from it.
I registered and tried a search but, nada...can you point me in the right direction

Thanks !

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
I think mp3car.com has a pretty good resource for this. I had checked it out a while ago, and it seems like it is a good place to get familiar with what you will need. They let you build a complete system in their store, or piece together your own.

Alex

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think mp3car.com has a pretty good resource for this. I had checked it out a while ago, and it seems like it is a good place to get familiar with what you will need. They let you build a complete system in their store, or piece together your own.

Alex
Jackpot! But, Damn there is a lot of information to take up... lol I didn't know this was so advanced with sooo many options...

Thanks for the Link!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah no problem, when I first went there I was like oh cool. Then I was like, damn which one do I pick? I still don't know which one to get. :lol:
That was going t obe my next ques to you... lol Man, there is a lot of info to take in... :faint:

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Yeah, I migh thave to join the forums for this or something. I wanted to do the same, but have it as my central media for the car, and tuning for the MAP-ECU. From looking I just don't know what warrants a greater cost between all those choices.

I just noticed this is in the PHR section. Maybe move/repost to the I.C.E section? I know they should at least be able to help determine around where we should be looking.

Alex

1 - 13 of 13 Posts