Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
191 Posts
I just used an impact wrench to remove the nut, then tapped the flange off the shaft with a rubber mallet. Bearing slid right off without much trouble at all.

· Registered
1,907 Posts
You may want to consider ordering an Aluminum drive shaft, of course one peice that way you do not have to worry about the carry bearing anymore, and you will also see some performance gains. That is what I am going to do, as my carrier bearing is shot.

[edit] err . .. old ass thread, but for anyone else who is thinking about replacing it, think about a one piece.

· Registered
1,083 Posts
Isn't there any other possible routes?? A 1-piece alluminum driveshaft is like $450. I don't have that kind of money. Isn't there any possible back-door thing i can do to just eliminate the vibrations all together?

· Registered
1,907 Posts
you can replace the carrier bearing, or you can go one piece. If there are any type of back-door kind of things I would not do it and I would also frown upon it. Just not fair to be going with cheap fixes on the Supra.

Do it right the first time, and you won't have to mess with it again.

You get what you pay for. (I would get a toyota carrier bearing)

· Registered
1,059 Posts
take your two peice drive shaft to a local driveshaft shop...

Have them turn it into a one peice.. Yes its a bit heavier than an aluminum one.. but it'll also be cheaper..

Basicly they just cut the ends off and place a pipe between them, weld it up, then balance it.. and your ready to go.. price is around 200 bucks or so..

· Registered
1,219 Posts
Carrier bearing is there for a reason. Running an Al DS puts much more stress on the pumpkin and the yokes on the DS. The purpose of the carrier bearing is to dampen the vibrations comming from the engine/tranny, and not running one is a bad idea.

· Oldie but a Goodie
1,544 Posts
zz_denis said:
Carrier bearing is there for a reason. Running an Al DS puts much more stress on the pumpkin and the yokes on the DS. The purpose of the carrier bearing is to dampen the vibrations comming from the engine/tranny, and not running one is a bad idea.
denis hit it right on the head. If there was no need for the carrier bearing then toyota would not have used them. Yes you can go one piece but it is not ideal for daily driving because of the afore mentioned stresses it can put on the rest of the drivetrain.

· Registered
1,059 Posts
Chrisco said:
denis hit it right on the head. If there was no need for the carrier bearing then toyota would not have used them. Yes you can go one piece but it is not ideal for daily driving because of the afore mentioned stresses it can put on the rest of the drivetrain.

Stresses on the drivetrain... you mean like the stresses on the car in your avatar doing the burnout... Thats not ideal for daily driving but you did it anyway.

many people have swaped to the one peice.. Myself included... No problems in the three years I have owned mine..

· Oldie but a Goodie
1,544 Posts
MKNTRAXX said:
Stresses on the drivetrain... you mean like the stresses on the car in your avatar doing the burnout... Thats not ideal for daily driving but you did it anyway.

many people have swaped to the one peice.. Myself included... No problems in the three years I have owned mine..
lol true, but that's a whole different topic and i never said that was good for the drivetrain either. But hey, if you really don't care then why are you asking people if there is some cheap hack way to go about fixing a vital part of your drivetrain, that if done incorrectly could potentially kill you and/or other people on the road. Have you ever heard of a driveshaft catapulting a car? Not so fun. :freak:

There are people running around with one pieces so evidently it can be done. Just be sure to not cheap out on something like that and if/when you go about doing it install a safety loop around the shaft.

Good luck.

· Oldie but a Goodie
1,544 Posts
KLH2004a said:
By saying that the carrier bearing is there for a reason, you mean in a long about way . . . it is there to support the two piece drive shaft that helps to dampen those vibrations and what not?
Yup. And less vibrations mean less wear and tear so that your tranny and rear diff last longer. I'm not an expert on how much a one piece would increase any of these factors over the stock two piece, but even with proper balancing there is still always going to be more stress on the transmission side because of the increased angle at the output shaft.

· Registered
719 Posts
I thought that carrier bearing was there primarily for safety. If something did break the carrier bearing would keep the shaft up against the car preventing a catapult, and it could bend in the middle reducing the arm of the shaft and the resulting risk of the back and coming up if it broke. Comments?

· Registered
1,907 Posts
a one peice shaft is going to be worse than a two piece for vibration, the carrier bearing is there for support since it is two piece. The carrier bearing will also help preven the two piece from ending up on the ground, but there are other peices in play that do most of the work in keeping the DS from catapulting the car.

· This Is Why I'm Hot.....
2,006 Posts
7M-Boost said:
I thought that carrier bearing was there primarily for safety. If something did break the carrier bearing would keep the shaft up against the car preventing a catapult, and it could bend in the middle reducing the arm of the shaft and the resulting risk of the back and coming up if it broke. Comments?
Excellent inference! However.....
According to a Toyota white paper on the driveline, the 2-piece DS engineering intent was to reduce shock to the pinion gears in the differential. Shock to the trans snout components is inconsequential with any DS, & the angularity imposed on the u-joints from a 1-piece are well within operational tolerances.

I've been through 3 center bearings, & they are not inexpensive. I've also helped install a 1-piece DS sourced from an Internet vendor onto a friend's car, & the splined end was out of spec & leaked. The replacement DS leaks less. Let's just say that my enthusiasm for a non-Toyota DS is currently diminished. Another dead center bearing might change my mind...I've got a spare LSD sitting in the garage, LOL.

Take care.

G

·
Larry_A said:
Excellent inference! However.....
I've also helped install a 1-piece DS sourced from an Internet vendor onto a friend's car, & the splined end was out of spec & leaked.

Take care.

In the interest of everybody please name the vendor and/or the maker of the ds.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.