Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any insight will be helpful I own, a 94TTT 6 spd. I canceled my insurance plan with Progressive, becuaseIwas paying the pricks almost $800 permonth on 2 vehicles $650 amonth on theSupra
for full coverage and $144 a month on the91MR25spdTurbo for liabilitycoverage, i realize that I'm only 21 and i've had way more than my share of speeding ticket'sand bogus traffic violations such as spinning tires, thrrowing a lighted cancer stick into traffic, traveling at unreasonable speeds etc all bogus if you ask me.Since canceling my coverageall ican do is [email protected] the cars and keep em' covered and out of the element's I got both of em's oil changed the sameday icanceled my coverageMobil1 10W30 Synthetic only when i put both cars back on the road this summerI knowI'm supposed to get the oil changedget the fluids flushed andfilledASAP (coolant/brake)it hasn't been 15 K since th rearDiff on the Supra was changed at t he60K servicei'm at70K on the Sup[ra 130K on it's lil sister mr2My Question: is there anything I'm forgeting matience wise after the car's have been sitting for a period of around 8/9 month's? Should Iget all the belt's checked?
Yes, I dissconnected the batteries awhile ago.any insight will be greatly appreciated,Thanks

·
Got Juice?
468 Posts
Sell the SUPRA. Its a liability at this point. Use the proceeds of the sale towards investing for your long and short term goals. Once you reach the age of 25 then buy a 1997/1998 model TT and I guarantee your insurance will be cut in half. More than likely you'll be married and the insurance will drop even more.

At this moment the SUPRA isn't giving you any immediate satisfaction other than owning one.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
After 25 my insurance went down over 50%. But my driving record was also good. It's very bad for your car to sit around that long. I would start it at least once every 2 weeks. MKIV.com has a section about storage.

But just one question...........HOW DO YOU HAVE THE WILLPOWER TO LET A SUPRA TURBO SIT IN THE GARAGE FOR A YEAR???????!!!!!!!!

:wtf:

I get withdrawl after a week!!

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Um...

With the attitude that it was "all bogus" I'm betting that you'll rack up a pile of tickets again just as soon as it goes on the road. While it's certainly possible for a cop to make a mistake, maybe even more than one, chances are pretty good that they weren't all "bogus". As for throwing cigs out the window - roll up to a light sometime and look out the window at the curb. See all those butts? They got there one at a time. People who don't smoke, and maybe some that do, get pretty sick of looking at that crap and get VERY pissed when they see someone toss one out the window.

Anyway, you're on the right track to fas as changing fluids. Brake fluid was fresh hopefully because any water in it will have attacked any steel it could get at. Changing it is a good idea, especially if it's brown in color. Have you been starting and running the car until it was fully warmed up at all? If it's been awhile pull the ECU fuse and crank it a bit to get the oil moving. If you wanted to be really paranoid a little bit of oil through the plug holes first before cranking wouldn't hurt. You want the oil pressure to come up some before actually starting it - especially for the turbos. I'll assume no mice have made a home in the car. Sounds weird but it's happened to me on a car I drive! Pop the hood and check over the hoses etc. - radiator, vac - make sure nothing is chewed on or frayed. After you get it started and before you drive it take a walk around it - any leaks? How are the tires? Any dry rot? Maybe pull one and check th eside you can't see - if it's been awhile that can be a problem too. If the car hasn't moved at all and has been sitting on the suspension then you might have flat spotted a tire but radials aren't too bad for that.

Lastly, how full was the tank when you parked it? Hopefully full because any air space in the tank allows moisture to condense and possibly rust the tank. After yuo run a couple of tanks through consider changing the fuel filter in case it's catching any crud. Maybe popping the access hatch to the tank to have a peek would be a good idea, I don't know. The gas is good I hope and I wouldn't give it any boost until you've run through a tank or two and put in fresh gas because crap gas could cause big problems.

That's all I can think of, hope that helps some....

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas,for the insight. Ihad no choice but to let the car sit
Ican't drive around with no insurance and I refuse to get liabilty coverage on the Supra. Ialso don't wanna sell my SupraI can't afford aviper at the momentand Idon't want to downgrade to a 98'-99 vette a zo6 is alittle out of my price range at the moment.
Although 's very hard lokking at the Dawg under the carport everyday.Peace.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts