Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Nottin' like boost...
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With me still being in college, and my supra now gone, and probably my insurance increasing i will soon have to look for a new car. I know I will not be able to afford a Supra that I truly want, and dont want to take a loan out on a car while i am still in school. So I am thinking about getting a "temporary" car, something that i will have for the next 1.5-2 years until i graduate and get a real job and actually have money to spend, i was looking in the low 20s range

one car that i am really considering right now is the 350z, yeah its gonna be slow, etc, but i can get one for like 20-21k with miles in the teens, 6 speed, and rwd, and it looks pretty good

i dont want an evo because no offense to anyone that has one but it looks like a lancer with a body kit, like a rice rocket, plus i would probably be tempted to mod it and i dont want to do that

any other suggestions? i looked at 2 door g35s but they arent going for as cheap as a Z

R

·
0 Posts
I'd rather search for a G if that's what I really wanted.

Suggestions:
A4
IS300
SC300
S2000
3-Series Bimmer

C

·
0 Posts
I'd say G35, pretty nice car, decent getup, lots of value for your dollar.

D

·
0 Posts
If I had that kind of cash, I would go with the SC300 and swap in a turbo motor. I have always been partial to the SC's though. I see SC's around my area for $6500-$9500. Sure it's some work, but that's all the fun right there (for me anyways).

·
Nottin' like boost...
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well none of these cars do i REALLY want, im just looking for a nice car to get me from point a to point b that is also not going to make me fall asleep, it is going to be my daily driver, not sure how well a s2000 would work for that

see i am in college, i want focus on college not another headache like an engine swap and all that comes with it, i want to see how the other 95% of the people live where they just get in their car to get from point a to point b without working on it 24/7, this of course is just temporary as i love cars:D

·
5,059 Posts
I see 350z's used in the paper for around 22-25ish depending on trim model. The G35 Sedan will be around the same price.

·
TRACK CAR
1,432 Posts
Honestly I know what you mean with the rice rocket comment but I drove Mike Clapps Evo last night and to tell you the truth I was very impressed with it. The AWD is very nice, the turn in is lightning fast, brakes were amazing (stock brembos with upgraded pads), turbo spooled very quickly and still made decent power 300awhp. I am telling you just take one for a drive and see how you feel about it. I have driven 350z's before too and this car out perform the Z in just about every category. Used ones can be had in the low 20's too.

Mike

S

·
0 Posts
The 350Z resale value is taking a hit. It will continue to do this.

The G35 resale value will always be higher.

If you buy a cheap beater to use for the next 8 months, you could buy a G (a sports car) around a time when sports car are sold off. Beginning of winter is a great time to buy a sporty car.

You could possibly get a G next year for maybe low 20k, and have the car you want, and keep it for a long while.

If you purchase a 350Z, and it really isnt what you want, and you pay 20k, when you sell it for 10k, you realize it was a bad decision.

I bought a cheap beater because thats where I am at right now. I have one nice truck (customized fullsize Chevy) and one cheap beater. I really want a fast car (supra, vette, ??) but I'm not willing to purchase a C4 vette or a MK3 supra just to tide me over. I can wait.

Cars get dinged so much in school lots. Buy a $5000 civic, accord, acura, older es300 lexus, for a daily driver as a young person, not a G35.

·
Old School
4,051 Posts
turbobubble said:
Get a nice C5:)
+1

Z06 would be great, but probably still above your price point.

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
s2000 will bore you after a few days...

get something turbo to keep your interest - nothign like driving conservative for a few days out of boost then letting loose with it.

honestly - id just save the money and buy something cheap and slap a turbo on and call it a day - a GSR or a MR-2 or a miata or somethign - save your cahs if its temp car... the old misters hold great value and are fun...

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Mr. Wob said:
s2000 will bore you after a few days...
Eh I sort of disagree. If power or speed is important to you then yes it will bore you after a few days. But if you like a stable car that handles good and is easy to throw around it's a great car. I enjoyed mine for 3 months and would still love to drive one.

Regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
'02 Z06, forget about the C5, the Z06 is head and shoulders above it.

The S2000 is absolutely gutless below 6000 rpm and no fire breather above that either. :eek: :eek:

·
Down the tunnel, please.
409 Posts
I would stay away fromt he EVO just becuase its a Turbo car. If he's in college, his insurance rates arent going to be very good, especially after this recent accident, Id stay away from Turbo Cars if I were him.

I second the thought of a SC300, keep it stock, great cars with decent luxury, and for point A to point B...well....they're a Toyota.

I have a 93 Land Cruiser with 312k on it, hasnt skipped a beat yet.

·
I have auto ADD.
4,568 Posts
E39 540i?

Sorry I'm on a BMW kick right now, thinkin about getting one when my money situation agrees with me.

But seriously. Dead sexy, V8 282HP, 6-Speed MT. 97-98's can be had for well under $20k, depending on how many miles are on them.

Insurance will probably be pretty high on one though.

A better idea would probably be just buying a cheap beater and tooling around in it until you graduate.

T

·
0 Posts
BLITZSUPRA said:
'02 Z06, forget about the C5, the Z06 is head and shoulders above it.

The S2000 is absolutely gutless below 6000 rpm and no fire breather above that either. :eek: :eek:
The '02 Z06 is a C5...

·
V,B
655 Posts
RX7 TT for 13k. they're just as rare and beautiful as supras. so far I've had zero problem. I doubt you'll blow the motor in 1.5-2 years unless you buy one with the original high-milage engine still on it.
good subsititute for a supra when you're low on budget.

·
what comes out the butt?
4,469 Posts
yeah some of you guys suck at the advise...

dude....what are the two cars best comparable the mkiv...

either get a Z06 C5 or an 03-04 cobra....both can be had for around 21k now(especially the cobra since you can get those pretty damn new as well, and its almost completely comparable performancewise to the supra)

-mike

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
RossoCorsaItaly said:
Eh I sort of disagree. If power or speed is important to you then yes it will bore you after a few days. But if you like a stable car that handles good and is easy to throw around it's a great car. I enjoyed mine for 3 months and would still love to drive one.

Regards,
Kevin
to each their own - but i was driving a SC one for a week and got bored. and on the track they a little squirrel for my taste at high rpm...

great looking cars though and reliable.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts