Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
According to the http://www.fueleconomy.gov all Mk3 Supras get 18mpg or less and therefore would qualify for $3500-4500 goverment voucher towards a new car (details at http://www.cars.gov).

It is very tempting given that I bought my 89 NA for $3300 nine years ago. I am sitting on a fence right now - and would need to make a decision by July 24 when the program kicks in. Looking to buy Nissan Versa 1.6 Auto+AC for my mom ($12000-$4500 = $7500 for a new car). I can probably get a few $$$ by stripping the Supra before trading it in - stereo, fog lights, hatch struts, AC controls, 3-piece wing, anything else? The car needs to be drivable. Anyone interested in a class 2 tow hitch for their supra? :)

I would feel bad about sending a good condition running Supra to a scrap yard - but spending $500/year for insurance/registration does not make economic sense anymore. I doubt I can get more than $2000 for NA with a leaking HG. It is my spare/weekend/towing car right now.

So is anyone thinking to do the same thing?

· King of Snark
2,126 Posts
I am waiting to trade in my chevy blazer.. so I say if you can afford the new car payment do it.

· Banned
7,225 Posts
LOL I wonder how many MK3s will end up in the yards now? Seeing as how that is more than the asking price for the cars on sale currently.

-Alex

· I Can Has EBT?
12,704 Posts
I wish I had a few crappy cars to make money off.
Its not that easy.

* Your vehicle must be less than 25 years old on the trade-in date
* Only purchase or lease of new vehicles qualify
* Generally, trade-in vehicles must get 18 or less MPG (some very large pick-up trucks and cargo vans have different requirements)
* Trade-in vehicles must be registered and insured continuously for the full year preceding the trade-in
* You don't need a voucher, dealers will apply a credit at purchase
* Program runs through Nov 1, 2009 or when the funds are exhausted, whichever comes first.
* The vehicle that you are trading in is required to be destroyed. Therefore, the value you negotiate with the dealer for your trade in is not likely to exceed its scrap value. The law requires the dealer to disclose to you and estimate of the scrap value of your trade-in vehicle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.