Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if this topic was ever talked about but I'm wondering
something.

I was at a local shop and was reading the new turbonetics catalog and noticed they make a cast manifold for the 93-98 supra's.

HAS any one used the turbonetics cast manifold and if so was it any good or not and why?

What turbo did you use?

Will i be limited in hp with a cast manifold?

Will there be any down sides to castmanifold?

I'm planing on putting together my own kit very soon and want to use that manifold with a racegate wastegate, so any input or pic's of this unit would be very helpfull!

Thank's
Scott

·
Registered
391 Posts
There was a guy on here that was selling a turbo kit with the cast manifold and an SP63. Said he was putting down 550rwhp, but don't quote me on that. I remember asking him why is numbers were that low with 720 injectors and that turbo and he said he was running his stock intercooler. I believe the potential is there. With a little finishing touches ie. extrude honing and a Jet Hot or ceramic coating, it may prove to be worthwhile if you're not in search of real high numbers. Not to mention a cast manifold is less likely to crack before one that's welded.

Last I talked to Turbonetics, the cast manifold is equal length (not just a log syle) and could support 750hp. I think the cost was about $627

·
Banned
336 Posts
I was planning this setup over 1 1/2 years ago, then i was going through with it recently. I called it the Ghetto Single setup. After much talk with a lot of people, every single point i made regarding the kit (potential, cost, power, drivability) was shot down in flames.

I eventually want some super high #'s with a good curve, the turbonetics manifold will not provide that. Also, you have the port the living hell out of it, and you have to hack it up and have someone weld on the external wastegate flange. Its a lot of work, and when said and done, you can get a HKS/Greddy manifold + WG for the same price almost, but with true potential instead of ghetto work that would be hard to resell.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Hacked?

Hrm, I spoke to a vendor using the manifold with a Turbonetics wastegate and he indicated it was a copy of the HKS manifold. Has anyone got pics of it side by side with an HKS? Who has actually used this and has dyno sheets? Not word of mouth or supposition but real facts about it. I'm considering it too and owuld like ot know why it's supposed to be so much different than th eHKS it supposedly copies....

·
Banned
336 Posts
Mike: You've got mail.

BLKMGK:

Lets clear up some stuff =)

The turbonetics manifold doesnt flow at all. Its just a manifold thats made as cheap as possible to fit a single. Will it make power? Yes. Will it make a setup that will make LOTS of power and flow well enough? Not in my opinion. The highest RWHP dyno i've seen from the cast turbonetics manifold is 610, and that was with a 70-shot of juice. Without the bottle, it was 545ishrwhp. And that was a T64 or T62 i beleive.

A long time ago, there was a myth about there being a "cheap" cast iron manifold from HKS. It started climbing the mkiv lists and people started asking about it. Thats when i got intrested in it. I actually talked to one of the guy works for HKS, and he informed me and assured me HKS doesnt make a manifold like that. I had Mohd of the mkiv list check also, and he said they dont make one and there isnt anything like that on their catalog or order sheets. Basically, people didnt know who made the Turbonetics manifold and assume it was HKS. Its just a turbonetics manifold.

Thats the turbonetics manifold.

Thats the HKS Manifold.

Theres a TAD bit of a difference, perhaps you could tell =)

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Big difference

However I thought the HKS manifold was cast - no? A log style manifold is obviously not the best way to go as it tends to have high backpressure. However I thought HKS also made a cast intake, was I misinformed? Hrm, may have to rethink the direction I was heading in here - thanks! Would still like to see some dyno numbers if anyone has them. That the Tubonetics manifold? ->

Looks like it might be... I know someone who just bought that setup too and shoudl be receiving it soon so we'll know soon enough I guess. What's the Turbonetics unit cost compared to say HKS?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The pic Jack posted is the turbonetics manifold. I have no idea if HKS makes a cast manifold or not.

Will it make as much power as a header? Of course not. Can it make good power? Of course. Steve Vache's car put down 500rwhp on 19 psi with a T62. Someone else did 500rwhp with an SP63, dual MAF and two stock ICs. The 2 stock ICs likely hurt his power, as it doubled the pressure drop (they were plumbed in series). Comparing that to Steve Vache's 500rwhp SP63 dyno with stock MAF and stock IC, it doesn't look so bad.

When its all said and done, the cast manifold is about $1000 cheaper. I don't know where you get your info from Jack, but the drivability won't be affected. The stock manifolds on all production cars I've ever heard of are all cast iron. They are made that way because they are cheap and reliable. Its a known fact that headers are much more prone to cracking than cast iron manifolds.

Its probably not for people looking to make huge #s on race gas, but for people who will stick to pump gas boost levels, it probably won't pose as much of a restriction.

There really isn't enough data to be able to tell.... If my car doesn't make any power on it, might switch to a header.

·
Banned
336 Posts
Grant said:
I don't know where you get your info from Jack, but the drivability won't be affected. The stock manifolds on all production cars I've ever heard of are all cast iron. They are made that way because they are cheap and reliable. Its a known fact that headers are much more prone to cracking than cast iron manifolds.
When i mean drivability, im speaking of lag.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
This is making more sense...

I'd been told that HKS had or was making a manifold and that Turbonetics took it over. If there's some folklore concerning that then this makes more sense - right or wrong. Cast IS used for production for the reasons Grant sated - it still cracks sometime though even when blast furnace type casting material is used (ask an RX7 guy). Cast holds in the heat better too but it's heavier. Dunno' about the spooling, I guess when Grant has his bolted on and perhaps dyno'ed we'll know more.

I for one am not shooting for sky high HP numbers. Most of the dyno sheets for cars with big power show that most of that power is happening at the end of the RPM range where I spend little time - on race gas I might add. I'd like to find a setup that will provide near stock HP down low but still make decent power up top - say 500 or so maybe? Something that will have enough area under the HP curve that I'm not stomped by cars that dyno with less power but have it available for longer periods of time. My options are wide open right now as I've not yet purchased anything. Electronics first, fuel, FMIC, then a turbo setup so I've got time. I figure if I decide I want a bigger turbo I can always upgrade..

I guess we'll see. Steve site has been a really good resource but I'm still looking for the perfect setup ;) Appreciate any and all input, the SP stuff is sure attractive but costly (shrug).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts