Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Take it!
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an oil change today with my mk3 supra and it seems very different than before. My supra is running much more better ever since i put Castrol GTX 10W-40, my boost is much more responsive than before! Is this normal?? Should be using 10W-40?? Give me some feedback ppl!

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I use Castrol gtx 10w40 for the early spring/fall months. I use Castrol GTX 20w50 in the summer months. This is for Canadian weather.

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
I use 20W-50 NON synt. year around.

I the past 5 months i have driven her ( after rebuild):D

Changing oil viscosities i have HEARD can be potentially bad LONG TERM...something about how the oil bonds to the bearings, then you introduce the newer thinner oil etc.....

just a thought, nothing to get frazzled over though.

Either way....

-Jonathan

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
20W50 is much too thick, u shoulda read up about it first, but it's ur choice, no need to argue ;)

I'm gettin 10W30 in mine, synthetic. Some german brand o_O

jdm ur in socal, don't worry about changing ur oil due to climate, CA has a relatively stable climate. Lol go change ur sparkplugs to some nice copper ones, ur car will pick up a little bit faster too :)

Maintenence is the start of all modding!

·
Registered
620 Posts
simann said:
I use 20W-50 NON synt. year around.

I the past 5 months i have driven her ( after rebuild):D

Changing oil viscosities i have HEARD can be potentially bad LONG TERM...something about how the oil bonds to the bearings, then you introduce the newer thinner oil etc.....

just a thought, nothing to get frazzled over though.

Either way....

-Jonathan

Find whomever you heard that from and smack them upside the head...

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,347 Posts
I currently run Castrol Syntec 5W50 (only driven in the summer) in the Supra, and was running Castrol Syntec 5W30 in the Corolla (it's the winter, heh), recently switched to Mobil 1 in the Corolla, and plan on doing the same for the Supra as well, Mobil 1 is great stuff. :)

Oil viscosity should definitely be selected based on climate.

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Yea the thickness is all about climates. BTW YES I DID READ THE USERS MANUAL :), unlike probably 90% of supra owners :lol:

20W50 is much too thick, even for California :eek:

BTW I put mobil 1 gear oil in the trans (GL-5 75W90), I'll see how smooth it is when I get the car back :)

Wow I really post a lot of :lol: faces :lol:

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
AGlobalThreat said:
20W50 is much too thick, u shoulda read up about it first, but it's ur choice, no need to argue ;)

I'm gettin 10W30 in mine, synthetic. Some german brand o_O

jdm ur in socal, don't worry about changing ur oil due to climate, CA has a relatively stable climate. Lol go change ur sparkplugs to some nice copper ones, ur car will pick up a little bit faster too :)

Maintenence is the start of all modding!
:lol: too thick? wtf are smoking? 20w50 should be oil of choice for mk3 owners...it helps out the oil pressure tremendously and adheres to bearings and the block nicely.

i dont know where you got that info from but RIIIIIIGHT... :wtf:

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
well yeah ive been preaching to everyone that synthetic change could yield those type of results...but putting 20w50 is different then using synthetic...

interesting stuff on that bobs site though ...thanks!

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
On a similar note, I put Mobil 1 15w-50 in my engine when I did the first oil change after startup -- was way too thick, ran 60 lbs pressure almost all the time. So I switched to 5w-30 Mobil 1.....
Oil pressure was still a little on the high side, nearly 50 lbs. at highway speeds, over 40 lbs the rest of the time. So this last oil change (last weekend), I put in some of the Mobil 1 that my uncle gave me for free (couldn't beat the price :) ), which is Mobil 1 for European cars, 0w-20.
I know that this is too thin for the summer, but it's still semi-winter here (snowed a little last night/this morning). I've put @300 miles on this oil, and finally, the oil pressure is close to where it should be! It runs ~40 lbs. on the highway, and after it warms up good (45 min trip to school, etc.), oil pressure at idle is usually ~20 lbs. or so.

I plan on changing to a thicker weight oil for summer, but for now, this seems to be working fine. Anyone else have a problem with too much oil pressure? With the pressure the 7mgte is supposed to run, I was afraid of blowing a seal or something. Is this a valid concern? Or should I not worry about it?

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Jeff Lange said:
I currently run Castrol Syntec 5W50 (only driven in the summer) in the Supra, and was running Castrol Syntec 5W30 in the Corolla (it's the winter, heh), recently switched to Mobil 1 in the Corolla, and plan on doing the same for the Supra as well, Mobil 1 is great stuff. :)

Oil viscosity should definitely be selected based on climate.
Excellent choice.
I Have been using Mobil 1 Synthetic 10-30 for A while now. I have yet to see any crappy deposits in my engine.

Car runs smooth with it.

·
kaizen Motorsports
1,402 Posts
Ever Since 1960 Superior Automotive Engineering in Anaheim ca, has been building Some of the Best Race Engines. They do Alot Turbocharged and Supercharged Engines, and the machine shop owner Says that 20w 50 is the oil of choice for their turbocharged engines. Check out there Website http://superiorautomotive.com/ This machine shop has an Engine Dyno Room, a chassis dynamometer, and other things that your average machine shop doesn't have. If you call, ask for Joe and tell him that the guys with the Supras (Aaron&Jose) sent you. I use them for the smallest of things. The resurfacing machine is set to 15 RA and it could go to as low as 3 to 5 RA. If you need any more info PM me. my .02 cents.

·
Be original, not a copy
861 Posts
CassMori said:
On a similar note, I put Mobil 1 15w-50 in my engine when I did the first oil change after startup -- was way too thick, ran 60 lbs pressure almost all the time. So I switched to 5w-30 Mobil 1.....
Oil pressure was still a little on the high side, nearly 50 lbs. at highway speeds, over 40 lbs the rest of the time. So this last oil change (last weekend), I put in some of the Mobil 1 that my uncle gave me for free (couldn't beat the price :) ), which is Mobil 1 for European cars, 0w-20.
I know that this is too thin for the summer, but it's still semi-winter here (snowed a little last night/this morning). I've put @300 miles on this oil, and finally, the oil pressure is close to where it should be! It runs ~40 lbs. on the highway, and after it warms up good (45 min trip to school, etc.), oil pressure at idle is usually ~20 lbs. or so.

I plan on changing to a thicker weight oil for summer, but for now, this seems to be working fine. Anyone else have a problem with too much oil pressure? With the pressure the 7mgte is supposed to run, I was afraid of blowing a seal or something. Is this a valid concern? Or should I not worry about it?
10w30 Mobile 1 right now (10w40 in the summer months). Cruising at 2200~2300 50~60psi, idle 15~20. Thinner oil lubricates better simply because it flows better and can carry away heat faster/better. Running a thinner oil with an improved oil cooling system will always be better. Thermocouple in the oil pan rarely sees above 190F.
It is far better to ask your turbo or engine builder what pressure and temperature are the limits for the turbo or motor.
We installed mechanical pressure and temperature gauges in a turbo MKII (turbo 6M). He was running non-synthetic 20W50. I got him to switch to synthetic 10W40 and the oil temps went down and pressure went up (benefit of lower oil temps). This was a 6M and that was running a true full flow cooler (not like the crap 7MGTE stock cooler setup).
I have been told that thicker oil tends to not want to accept heat (carry it away from bearings) and once the the oil is heated up it does not easily dissipate the heat (stays hot).
If I ever run into a pressure or temperature problem I will first look for the mechanical cause and then consider running a heavier weight but with over 400,000 combined mileage on my Supras with no lubrication failures I don't see going to a thicker oil.

·
Registered
432 Posts
In lower Ohio I been using Moble 1 SYNTHETIC 5w30 ever since I got the car in August and haven't really had any problems with it. Plus my Mustang GT gets Moble 1 Synthetic 10w30 all year round and likes it.

·
Supra Fan
4,115 Posts
Amsoil 20w50 synthetic for summer, and 10w40 for winter.

Have you ever heard of anyone getting a rod knock using 20w50? I dont think so:D

R

·
0 Posts
I don't understand you guys talking about changing the oil for summer/winter . . . that's what you did in the days before Multigrade oil . . . the whole POINT of a Multigrade is it varies its viscosity depending on temperature.

So you guys saying you use a 10w-40 in winter and a 20w-50 in summer - why don't you just use a 10w-50 all year round?

And anyway . . the arguments as to which oil to use depends very much on how worn your bearings (etc) are . . . surely you use thinner oil on a new or recon ebgine . . but better to use a slightly thicker oil on a worn engine.

And the only problem with synthetic oils is that they often cause oil seal failure on older engines.

Thats my two cents!!!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I run 10w30 castrol GTX all year around. I beleive what the owners manual says, especially since the M motor has been around so long. In other words, I'm not going to pretend to be a design engineer who spent the last 40 years figuring out oil viscosity for the M series engine.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts