Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
RSP fetish #23 GTR driver
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CBR1000RR or R1 - which one would you buy?
My brother and I went today to local dealers looking for bikes. I think that after talking to salesmen we're more confused than ever. Anyway, we're not looking for racing each other, rather crusing down Jersey shore on Synday afternoons. Personally, I always loved R1 but styling of CBR1000RR is so tempting... What is your advice?

·
Bad RSP supra
1,089 Posts
why cant anyone just answer a question instead of FIRST BIKE? wtf..

i say go with the R1. the honda's are bad ass but the R1's have it all

·
Registered
861 Posts
Why does everyone want SS bikes to "cruise"??!?

You'd LOVE a Busa or a new vfr...there's MANY better choices for people to tour/commute with without a million dollar insur. rate.

To be honest...out of your 2 bikes for your purposes if you NEED a SS: I'd go for a Gix or ZX-10, both are more comfortable than the other 2 to me...(6'2").

The Gix1k is the best deal out on an open classer OTD...

HTH
-Steve

Ps...First bike?? :1poke:

·
-=R1der=-
371 Posts
Both the 06's are updated. I'd think the R1 edge over the honda's.

I the honda RR's are very comfortable but then again the R1 isn't that much more comfortable.

The thing about the R1 is that the heat exits onto your legs and because they are both undertail mount exhaust, the seat tends to get hot. I haven't felt it on my R1 I suppose because its stock but I've heard people who mod their bikes tend to feel it.

·
road hazard
452 Posts
A_spec said:
I the honda RR's are very comfortable but then again the R1 isn't that much more comfortable.
IMHO, you're crazy if you think the 600RR/1000RR are very comfortable! for short rides and at the track, its fine because your seat time isn't too long. but for "cruising" and long rides, you'll definately start to feel the pain kick in.

krzykk, whats your riding experience?

·
Formerly NA-TT
1,267 Posts
toysupra1 said:
IMHO, you're crazy if you think the 600RR/1000RR are very comfortable! for short rides and at the track, its fine because your seat time isn't too long. but for "cruising" and long rides, you'll definately start to feel the pain kick in.

If you are out of shape, maybe. I do 3-8 hour rides... cruising and speeding in the twisties, and I don't feel pain.

·
road hazard
452 Posts
Supra SONIC said:
If you are out of shape, maybe. I do 3-8 hour rides... cruising and speeding in the twisties, and I don't feel pain.
which bike do you ride? 3-8 hours is a long fucking time on a sportbike. unless you ride a goldwing, an FJR, or some other type of sport touring model thats more comfortable, i find your 3-8 hours on a bike very hard to believe. are you taking breaks every hour or so?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Supra SONIC said:
Then you are the exception... 3-8 hours of riding on any sport bike WILL kick your ass.

To the person who started this thread, I'd go for the Honda, but only because you didn't give any other options.

G

·
The CBR1000RR has much better mid-range if I remember correctly but the R1 has shorter gearing and more top end. The Honda is probably better for the less experienced.

·
Registered
868 Posts
It depends what you are looking for. The R-1 is like an R6 on steroids, the motor comes on in the same way as the R6 just much stronger but the honda has a lot more low end and mid range torque. The 06 CBR1000RR is supposed to have much quicker steering more hp and sill stable as hell.
I am biased towards the Honda but you need to see how the bike suits you, comfort wise and motor wise.

·
-=R1der=-
371 Posts
toysupra1 said:

Whoops. That's what I meant. I sat on the 600RR and it felt like a plank. I was saying that the R1 isn't that much more comfortable.

·
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, it will not be my first bike althought I haven't ride a bike in over 6 years. I went from 50cc (I was 5 yo) to Suzuki GS850 (back in 1995). Same goes for my brother.
Our parents and grandparents were always in to bikes. Bikes were always part of our life, we even have a garage just for bikes @ my parent's house. Anyway, thanks for your concern.
I'm still debating which way to go although I'm leaning towards R1.

·
-=R1der=-
371 Posts
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!

·
road hazard
452 Posts
good to hear you have some riding experience, krzykk. these new liter bikes make ridiculous amounts of power and to imagine a new rider on one is pretty scary.

i'm biased towards suzuki because thats what i ride and i love it. but i've come off a 2001 F4i, my brother's 600RR (sorry, its not a 1000RR for an exact comparison), and my friend's R1. both honda and yamaha have their nimbleness in control and i find them to be very similar in that area. but what i found significantly different between the two is honda's stability into the turns. it definately felt more planted and stable.

both the 1000RR and the R1 make crazy horsepower that you'll never fully use on the streets so if you're wanting it just to cruise, no problem between the two performance wise. sit on both and see which one is more comfortable and then just choose over looks.

good luck with your decision.

·
-=R1der=-
371 Posts
Me coming from a 600 GSXR, I just find it to be an amped up six. It's not as crazy crazy as I thought it would be. My initial thought buying a liter was it would rip me to shreds when I ripped the throttle. Just have to have control. I want to give the gixxer 750 and the 1000 a shot (maybe even my next bikes).

You'll be happy with the brakes because it's Brembo master cylinders on both front and rear.

·
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys. I really appreciate your input.
To those who suggested Suzuki or Kawasaki, I guess I had bad exprience with booth (2nd gear went on Suzuki, timing chain problems w/Kawasaki). Anyway, I talked to my brother today and we're seriously considering R1. Just out of curiosity, anybody knows horsepower and torque for R1 and CBR?
Also, my brother spoke with his friend yesterday and heard that R1 has a long first gear that goes to over 100 mph (...) Is that possible?

·
Registered
868 Posts
The Yamaha usually gets the Honda by about 5 horse from the dynos I have seen but all of the roll ons and running on the street that I have heard of put them pretty even. The R-1 does have a little bit longer 1 gear than the Honda but I don't remember the top speed in first gear cause when you are up in the revs you better be ready to shift, it is just really strong up there. I know the Kawi can hit 104 in 1 gear and I think the R-1 is in the 90 mph range with the Honda getting close to 90 in 1 gear.
I am not a Kawi fan either but that ZX10R feels like it would blow the doors of any of the others, I guess it is the way the power comes on cause I know they are all pretty equal as far as power.

·
-=R1der=-
371 Posts
krzykk said:
Thanks guys. I really appreciate your input.
To those who suggested Suzuki or Kawasaki, I guess I had bad exprience with booth (2nd gear went on Suzuki, timing chain problems w/Kawasaki). Anyway, I talked to my brother today and we're seriously considering R1. Just out of curiosity, anybody knows horsepower and torque for R1 and CBR?
Also, my brother spoke with his friend yesterday and heard that R1 has a long first gear that goes to over 100 mph (...) Is that possible?
From what I heard the top on first gear was 103. I haven't gotten it up that high and a lot of my friends doubt it.

I think the reason is to prevent first gear wheelies.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I don't know why they would gear it that way, most people usually end up going 2 teeth down in the back and can still hit over 90 in 1 gear.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts