Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
No Mercy
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just got a set of CCW 18x10 and 18x11.5. I have Koni Yellows and Eibach springs on my car, it is not driven on the track. I thought I'd ask here for expert and experienced opinions, though.

My guy just tried mounting my wheels today and found that the rears will not even bolt up to the hub because my suspension is in the way. The spring perch and area around it are hitting the top inside edge of the rim in a major way - at least an inch is needed.

Disappointed, I just went home without trying anything further.

I'm being told now that wide rims like these will actually hit the suspension until the car is down on the ground and the suspension compresses. This sounds reasonable, but has anyone else run into this problem? Is this for real?

Thanks on any help you may be able to provide me.

I don't know if I'm going to be able to return these wheels to the seller, so they may be up for sale soon :(

-Mike Hughes

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
i have been exposed to cars that needed to have the suspension compressed to tighten all the lugs. What is the diameter of your springs? it may require coilovers with smaller diameter springs to fit...

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
What is your offset? I have 18x11.5 in the rear ... no problems with 295/30 (before with Eibachs and stock shocks and for the last 1.5 years with Tein RA)

·
Registered
638 Posts
that is exactly how my CCWs fit right now with Eibachs and KYBs, just have to tighten the lug nuts more and more as you lower the car slowly. You will most probably also have to pound in the inner fender a little bit with a mallet to prevent the inner, front edge of the tire from scraping. FWIW, I have the 18x11 CCW street classics w/315/30 tires.

·
No Mercy
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure the exact number of the offset, but these wheels have been on at least two other Supras with no problems. I'm talking right now to the guy I bought them from, I'll see what kind of suspension the other cars had.

If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know :)

·
LOOKING FOR 200MPH
116 Posts
Mike,

I hope this works out. It seems that others are running your same setup and they fit. When I installed them I would jack up one side of the car, install the wheel and then go to the other side. The pics in my sig (silver and top black) both have those wheels. Let me know...

·
776 Posts
I am running 315s out back with eibachs. With the car jacked the tire does rub the spring. However, once on the ground, I had no problems at all.

·
No Mercy
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi David,

So what you're saying is the spring/shock combo actually moves inboard when the suspension compresses and the control arms move up?

Thanks,

Mike

David S said:
I am running 315s out back with eibachs. With the car jacked the tire does rub the spring. However, once on the ground, I had no problems at all.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
technically, I think the wheel moves out...

·
3,466 Posts
I had some 315/30/18 Michelins on my 11.5" CCW's. You have to lower the car before you can fully tighten the lugs.

·
No Mercy
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll try it out this weekend and let you know how it all goes.

Thanks.

·
No Mercy
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi all,

I haven't tried fitting the rim again since I've been really busy, but thought I would bump the thread and see if anyone has anything to add before I try it...

FYI, the upper inside edge of the rim seems to be hitting the spring perch, where the spring sits on the "cup" that's part of the rear shock. I don't *think* would be moving in relation to the wheel hub, is this correct? It looks to be at least a half inch too wide, possibly more.

If I can't get these wheels to fit then it looks like they will be for sale, the guy I bought them from probably doesn't want to refund me my money.

Mike

·
SF's Cleanest
7,179 Posts
Sorry to hear it didn't work out. You shouldn't have much trouble selling them. They are pretty popular wheels. Good luck. :bigok:

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have the same rims with tein ha and have no problem just had to cut and roll fenders.

·
Registered
74 Posts
you probably ended up with wrong offset. i ran 295's on my old car using custom Fikses and they bolted right up with no issues and no rubbing or alterations. i did have hks coilovers though.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
David S said:
Post up some pics of your ride, homey! :yum:

·
No Mercy
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi everyone,

Looks like my rear wheel fits on there fine once the car is lowered... how far do your rims stick out though? Mine seem "out there", almost past the fenders.

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Mike Hughes said:
Hi everyone,

Looks like my rear wheel fits on there fine once the car is lowered... how far do your rims stick out though? Mine seem "out there", almost past the fenders.
Strange. Mine sit perfect -- almost flush with the fender but slightly tucked-in.

·
Bad Texan Boy
4,266 Posts
Mike Hughes said:
Hi everyone,

Post a pic here.

·
Registered
531 Posts
my rims are flush and with 2.5"negative camber no problem

1 - 20 of 28 Posts