Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im on the verge of ordering a set of 18x10f & 17x11.5r. i am running eibach springs on my 93.5tt. is there going to be a clearance (rubbing) problem running this ccw wheel combo. is anyone running this combo?

also have you guys seen any supras in person running 18's up front and 17's in the rear. the combo looks funky in some pictures ive seen online.
just wondering if it looks as weird in person.

thanks

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Eibach "sport" progressive springs with all that rubber is not going to work well together. IMHO.
Barry H.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
correct. you'll need coilovers to fit the 11.5s.

11's will fit with the right offset if you shave your fender wells.

Matt

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
pm brian94ht. he is running 11.5" rears on eibachs i believe. i was going to try it out when i got my ccws (17x11.5) but found a set of cheap teins just before i mounted my wheels. it WILL fit physically, but WILL rub A LOT. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i emailed brian, hopefully he will get back to me soon. im thinking they will work due to having sumo htzr 2 295/35/18's on the car now. the height of that tire is 25.9. the height of the kd 315/35/17 is smaller measuring 25.7. my logic is if the sumo's havent rubbed why would the kd's. i am also rolling the fender lips. please reply with opinions.

on another note if im going coilovers. which ones should i go with?
im thinking tein's due to the price.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The issue isn't going to be so much with the tires rubbing the fenderwell because of the Eibach's (although they very well might), what people are addressing here is that the Eibach springs are too wide (as are the stockers). The tires will rub on the springs themselves. Coilovers have a smaller outer diameter which prevents this contact. Even with coilovers, the 315s are VERY close to the springs, but do not rub. As for the fenderwell rubbing, I went from and Eibach ProKit to a set of Ground Control/Advance Design coilovers at the same time that I got my CCWs. When I did this, I did have to raise the height of the car from where it was with the Eibachs in order to avoid rubbing during hard cornering at the track. Obviously you also must have the lip rolled or cut

As for how the car looks with 18s on the front and 17s on the back, I had the exact same concern. Frankly, I think they look just fine. In fact, I haven't had anyone even notice the difference until I mention it to them. Most of them can't get over the 285s on the front and the 315s on the rear :D I say go for it, I don't think you will regret it!

·
Registered
226 Posts
So far I've been very impressed with them. Frankly I've been struggling with some other gremlins at the track the last couple times out so I'm still looking forward to a clean weekend to really see what they will do. I was just floored when I first put them in and was using 800 lbs front and 550 lbs rear springs and realized that the ride was actually more comfortable than what I had with my Eibach/Bilstein setup - I just couldn't believe it. Sooo, I immediately upped the spring rate to 1100/750 which is still very drivable on the street and seems very, very good for the track. The setup runs about $2300, but I was able to pick mine up used for a bit less. The only real downside I've encountered thus far is that they are kind of noisey. All in all, I've been very pleased.

·
GSC Power-Division
908 Posts
Your good with the eibachs and the 18/17x11.5 setup. I ran with them and found the car to work well. The outer fender needs to be trimmed and the might need to bang on the inner finder a little for the rear.

The front will need one bolt removed you will see it when you install the wheels and tires.

add a set of Tein RA's would really set it right with some titan bars.

·
The new #1 Hardtopper
1,572 Posts
t88 mayhem said:
i emailed brian, hopefully he will get back to me soon. im thinking they will work due to having sumo htzr 2 295/35/18's on the car now. the height of that tire is 25.9. the height of the kd 315/35/17 is smaller measuring 25.7. my logic is if the sumo's havent rubbed why would the kd's. i am also rolling the fender lips. please reply with opinions.

on another note if im going coilovers. which ones should i go with?
im thinking tein's due to the price.
Sorry I didnt get back to you on PM but heres the deal.
I dont have CCW's but I do have 10F-11.5Rx17 with Eibach/Koni setup. At first it would appear that this setup would not work. When you put the wheel on with the suspension at full drop the wheel will not go against the rotor completely because the tire hits the spring perch. Finger tighten the nuts on then lower the car slightly on to the wheels then torque the lugs completely. I have not experienced any rubbing on the rears (315/35) although the fronts (275/35) do scrape the fender wells under hard suspesion compression just slightly.
I told Steve Theodore about how the wheels would go on and how to do it-then he called me while putting them on and said it wouldnt work-later that day he was driving around with them on.
Because of the angle of the strut/spring its closer to the tire at full droop but at full compression it fit s fine.HTH!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the reply. are the eibach springs you are running the pro line (the wide ones not the smaller coilover size)? are you running 18's on the front?
also have you road raced the car since having this setup? if so is that were you experianced the front rubbing. just wondering if the eibachs are to soft for really pushing the car at the track.

thanks again

·
The new #1 Hardtopper
1,572 Posts
t88 mayhem said:
thanks for the reply. are the eibach springs you are running the pro line (the wide ones not the smaller coilover size)? are you running 18's on the front?
also have you road raced the car since having this setup? if so is that were you experianced the front rubbing. just wondering if the eibachs are to soft for really pushing the car at the track.

thanks again
I run 17's for the street and road course,18" for autoX. Yes they are the big eibach springs and yes they are way to soft for any performance type driving. I plan to switch up to coilovers before the season starts.:)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I run CCW's and the advance design coilovers 900 fr and 550 rear and 295 fr and 315 rears and i had to widen the rears 1/2 inch and the fronts had to be rolled 18" all the way and just run mich pilot cup sports this has been a good set for the street and the track.

Just call john @ CCW he will get you what you need and dont go with 17/18's you will like the look of the 18" much better!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the replys guys. i ended up not going with the ccw's. the resons are i really do not want the look of a 18" front & 17" rear. the only tire company that makes 315's for the rear are the mich. pilot sport, but ive heard they suck at the track. the perreli corso which are way to much money and are really a full out track tire. they dont make the perreli rosso any more which would be ideal. and mich. pilot cup, but you have to widen the rear fenders abit. again to much money.

so i ended up going with a set of volk gtc-s. i got them for a great price. they way a bit more them the ccw's tipping the scale at around 22lbs. per wheel. they are 18x9 & 18x10. im going to run bfg kd 265's & 295's. i dont like the look of the ccw's enough to compromise getting the same wheel size when i could have the volks. i really wanted the ccw's due to running a 315 in the rear. i also plan on picking up aset of the advance design coilovers in the near futre.

thanks agin for all the quick responses. hope i didnt let anyone down!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
FWIW the Advanced Design dampers are not intended for the street, they will not tolerate potholes and the like. Also they will need to be rebuilt on a regular basis. GC recomends a yearly rebuild on track only cars, do the math. They are very nice, I am ordering a set for my track car, but they are not for the street. Try JICs, or Tein RAs. I have HAs, and they needed to be rebuilt at ~20,000 miles do to leaking cartridges. Carl
I would try the FLTA2, or FLTA2RS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts