Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm in the process of purchasing a set of 18" inch wheels for my car.
I plan on running 305's in the rear and 265's in the front.
I was told that the toyo T1R tire fits much better than the R888.
Can anyone confirm this???
How many of you have the R888 tire??? what size???
what do you guys think of it???
I really want to get the R888 but I was told it might be tight fit.
I'll be rolling my fenders of course.

thanks,

maguirre

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
The T1R is a street tire, and far from the "best" IMO; whereas the R888 is a DOT rated R-compound intended for roadcourse racing.

Just in a size for size comparison they are not much different at all. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a set of R888's but these will be for track day events.

·
Sound Awake
642 Posts
I'm in for some reviews on the R888's!

Anyone have any experience with them?

How do they compare to the Michelin Pilot Sports?

How stable are the R888's at high speeds(e.g. 160+ mph) ?

MIX

·
Boost Junkie
12,399 Posts

MIX
The Pilot Sports are more of a refined "Ultra" performance street tire. They are quiet, have a treadware rating of 200+, and will last a while, depending on use. They are the quietest and best riding ultra performance tire I've ever used. The R888 is more of a track day tire. Sure you can use it on the street, but it won't last very long. I believe it has a 100 treadware rating. Handling and braking is better, but they are much, much louder and don't ride as nice. They will also provider better traction when compared to the PS2 depending on how much power you are making. The R888 is more like the Pilot Sport Cup tire.

Steve

·
Registered
13,569 Posts

MIX
The only guys here that I recall are already using them for roadcourse/track day type driving are a couple brits...maybe pm them, screen names wez and/or dee rz

As far as high speed stability, the Texas Mile SW/BL guys had enough confidence in them to mount them for the 240+mph mile runs...though they switched tires to get a taller tire for rpm purposes ...see below:

Alex let us borrow 26.9 Yoko's. They were much better than our R-888 measuring 26.3.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts