Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I priced out a kit thru Collin's for the 850 ft/lbs clutch setup. Has the clutch, tranny crossmember and mount, drive shaft, differential (went with gs400 due to people stating it makes the gearing better), and their 31.5'' short shifter. All in all its about $3000. Outside of the actual CD009, am I missing anything? I have an auto now so I am going to use the auto flexplate and flexplate spacer as mentioned in their package.

Trying to order everything at once so that I'm not halfway thru the build and realize I need some random part lol. Appreciate you guys as always.

·
Registered
84 Posts
pretty sure it DOES NOT include the differential, you are just specifying what differential you have for the drive shaft adapter

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey, the kit definitely does not include the differential, just the adapter as 95SC3T said. Check out my build thread on clublexus "CD009 350Z 6spd On 1JZ SC400". It's a very detailed thread with tons of info for the cd009/JZ swap

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok gotcha. Glad you guys chimed in! My parts lingo isn't as high as it should be lol. So I choose the gs400 adapter then pick one up and I'll be set?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clutch Master Cylinder
Pedals
Differential

Trying to keep an adequate list of stuff outside of the kit lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought you get the whole differential for the gearing?

Also anyone have a solution for getting my speedometer working? I was reading that you lose that aspect once you do the swap.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I definitely don't want to go v160 for what $6500+ for a rebuilt/low miles one when I can run the CD009 that are readily available as a whole and parts are still being made for them lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
2jleo go to driftmotion and get the MK4 Supra 5/6 Speed Conversion Pedal Set($400) and get their Full Length Clutch Hose($45) and you need to beat the fire wall to get to the top 2 bolts of the tranny.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2jleo go to driftmotion and get the MK4 Supra 5/6 Speed Conversion Pedal Set($400) and get their Full Length Clutch Hose($45) and you need to beat the fire wall to get to the top 2 bolts of the tranny.
I'll write that down. Thanks! The complete swap is still cheaper than a used v160 lol

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Sell it all and get a v160
Another useless comment from this genius.

OP: Does the clutch/kit come w/the flywheel and install parts? I'd advise buying a manual tunnel and saving your auto one.

I saw above:

-Clutch master cylinder but didn't see slave cylinder.
-Clutch lines will be needed.
-Interior manual shift panel
-Bellhousing and adapter to move the shifter forward.

Also- what internals are you putting in the cd009? Its gonna explode on you over 550ish tq. I ask because you state you're buying an 850tq clutch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Another useless comment from this genius.

OP: Does the clutch/kit come w/the flywheel and install parts? I'd advise buying a manual tunnel and saving your auto one.

I saw above:

-Clutch master cylinder but didn't see slave cylinder.
-Clutch lines will be needed.
-Interior manual shift panel
-Bellhousing and adapter to move the shifter forward.

Also- what internals are you putting in the cd009? Its gonna explode on you over 550ish tq. I ask because you state you're buying an 850tq clutch.
Just wondering where you are getting your 550ish tq figure? I think that is a bit off. Vinny from Vinny Tin Racing has had and still has some Z's pushing 800+whp (unfortunately didnt get torque figures from him, but from a boosted VQ, could assume around 700tq). He said his drag cars have 50+ passes on them and still going strong.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
LoveSC's, you are correct- I was totally off w/my estimates. I believe SP is also running one at something like 1200hp. The earlier ones from the first 2 years of the 350s had major synchro issues but this issue was remedied after that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK cool. I talked to Vinny about it because he specializes in building high powered Z's. He also builds high power Supra's as well, although not as much anymore as the Z's. So he is the perfect person to consult regarding the CD009 capabilities. He said that it is a bit of a stretch to think of it as a replacement for the V160, but it is a very stout transmission. And as you said, SP also had a 1200-1300HP Z on stock trans.

Oh and by the way, I typo'd. Vinny is from Vinny Ten Racing, not Tin...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts