Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 1990 MkIII turbo supra and got a code 52 while driving it home from work the other day. From what I've read I should first get new knock sensor brackets and do a rewire from the sensors to the ECU. If that doesn't work I should look into replacing the sensors themselves, correct?

I've read the two KS rewire articles on SOGI but what exactly is the problem that the rewire solves? Is it the wires themselves that are degrading, or the bracket connection? But if it was just the connection, why rewire all the way to the ECU? I've also noticed extra grounding being done with the rewire, is noise the cause?

Does anyone have any tips on rewiring the knock sensors or something else I should be trying first instead?

Thanks

·
slowly giving up...
1,069 Posts
in order of being the problem, check:

the actual wires, the connectors, then the sensors.

the rewire helps prevent electrical noise from disrupting the KS signal, which is what will trip code 52. rewire them using new connectors, then clear the codes. if the code comes back, get ONE known good KS, and replace one of them. (if you're N/A you only have one, turbos have two)

if you replace one of them, and the code is still popping up, switch it to the other position, and put the one that you took out back in the first position. if the code still pops up, replace the other one.

don't buy them new. get known good used ones.

-shaeff

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Before you try doing the rewire just simply get under there and check to see if they are tight. I went through the whole rewire without even checkin if the sensors were tight so i got done with the rewire and went for a cruise and the light came back on. After that i was going to replace them and when i was taking out the rear sensor it was only finger tight on there so before i replaced them i tightened it back down, went for a ride and it was good to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, I wouldn't have thought to check the sensors themselves for tightness, good idea. Thanks a lot for the replies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts