Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Dissident
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of us talked about Celica steering wheels earlier. I finally got around to getting an airbag, so it looks really nice now. Highly recommended mod.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
catch2nd said:
do they come in just black?
No, I don't believe so.

(Well, maybe the Celica ones do, but there are other ones in other models that look almost the same, if not the same, and they come in different colours (ie: new Corolla's)).

·
Dissident
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mdr40z said:
wow, I really like it.... what years is that from?
That's a 2001 Celica. This particular wheel is available on that gen celica, the new MR-S, and the Corolla S. As far as I know you can only get them in black.

The Camrys, base corollas, and several Lexuses (Lexi?), use another three spoke design that are available in a variety of colors and trims (wood trim, steering wheel controls, etc).

Jeff, was it you that installed a newer cruise relay on an '87? I need that relay to make the cruise work, but Jay Marks needs > $100 for it! A damn relay!

·
Registered
606 Posts
that steering wheel looks giganctic-if thats the same/similar to the corolla S one, its very nice and smooth. But ummmm whats the point of swapping steering wheels other than looks?

·
Dissident
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Supra_Dre said:
that steering wheel looks giganctic-if thats the same/similar to the corolla S one, its very nice and smooth. But ummmm whats the point of swapping steering wheels other than looks?
Gigantic? I think it's actually smaller than the stock wheel. It feels just right when I'm driving.
What's the point? Looks, yeah that was my primary incentive. It really updates the look of the entire interior. Besides my old leather was flaking off, and the new wheel is more ergonomic. What I want to know is why do people buy AFTERMARKET wheels. I think they look junky and you lose functionality.

Kroze, yes the celica wheels are bolt-on replacements aside from the electronics.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
limequat said:
Gigantic? I think it's actually smaller than the stock wheel. It feels just right when I'm driving.
What's the point? Looks, yeah that was my primary incentive. It really updates the look of the entire interior. Besides my old leather was flaking off, and the new wheel is more ergonomic. What I want to know is why do people buy AFTERMARKET wheels. I think they look junky and you lose functionality.

Kroze, yes the celica wheels are bolt-on replacements aside from the electronics.

electronics as in what? the airbag and that's all right?

good job btw. how much was the steering wheel.

·
Dissident
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kroze said:
electronics as in what? the airbag and that's all right?

good job btw. how much was the steering wheel.
Thanks. I paid $70 for an entire steering column + $150 for an airbag. My car is an 87, so the airbag is only for looks. Cruise control will take some fenagling and the horn as well.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
I have a write up on using the newer cruise relay in the FAQ, I got mine from IdealSupra, he sent it to me for free. :)

I've seen them in at least 1 other colour, which was tan, so I know they don't only come in black.

It's probably the exact same size as the stock wheel, maybe you'd like to measure it and post it up.

·
Dissident
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jeff Lange said:
I have a write up on using the newer cruise relay in the FAQ, I got mine from IdealSupra, he sent it to me for free. :)

I've seen them in at least 1 other colour, which was tan, so I know they don't only come in black.

It's probably the exact same size as the stock wheel, maybe you'd like to measure it and post it up.
Yeah, I saw that write up, good job. I got stuck on the relay. You suck for getting one for free.

I'll measure the celica wheel, but I no longer have the stock wheel. If someone wants to get that half of the data, we'll compare apples to apples.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
:gaysex: :gaysex: :gaysex: Kickass! I've made a few threads here and there about this exact wheel...I'm glad someone did it so I know that it does infact fit!

Dont forget the Matrix XRS uses it as well. Perhaps the XR too, not sure

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
limequat said:
Yeah, I saw that write up, good job. I got stuck on the relay. You suck for getting one for free.

I'll measure the celica wheel, but I no longer have the stock wheel. If someone wants to get that half of the data, we'll compare apples to apples.

hey limey...guess what... i have another one from my 89 car that i pulled out...want it?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts