Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Blue Thunder
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright guys we all know that the Celica and 98 Supra wheels look great instead of the 4 spoke airbag wheel
us 93-97 guys have. Problem is getting the CC to work. Well I just figured out a way to use the
one off the old 4 spoke wheel.....

Take the old CC stalk off your 4 spoke bag first. You'll have to cut the black horn wire off.
Cut it as close as you can to the end.

Here's what the 4 spoke CC stalk looks like beside the 3 spoke CC stalk:
The 4 spoke one is on the bottom. It's a bit longer and the holes don't line up.

But it'll fit in the space between the wheel where the Celica stalk was ...

Push it in there pretty snug. Then use the screws that came out of the stalk to secure it.....

You can cut off the 3rd screw mounting hole near the steering wheel mounting nut to make it sit in closer too.

Place a female terminal on the black horn wire you cut earlier.
Plug in the CC stalk to your OEM spot.
Plug the black horn wire into the back of the airbag. There's two male spades (terminals)
to chose from.

Place the airbag back on the wheel, and screw it in place.
Voila !!! Your CC should work now !!!

The only negatives I can see with this is that the OEM stalk from your car will be at a different angle than the Celica's and it may stick out a bit.

Here's a stock 2ooo+ Celica GT wheel....notice the angle the CC stalk has?

But hell after a few thousand miles, who will notice? :1poke:

Here's pics of 2 wheels I did 2day

That piece sticking out the second wheel can be tucked in out of the way. IHTH someone....:D

·
Registered
274 Posts
great write up..if i get a celica wheel, will u help me do mine :)

·
Blue Thunder
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
np man, np. i don't mind helping out.

·
It's all ball bearings...
889 Posts
Brian: Thanks for the write-up! I temporarily put my Celica wheel on tonight, but I didn't hook everything up since I am not completely done taking the dash apart for now. It definitely felt a lot better than the old 4-spoke wheel on my test drive. This should help when I put the wheel on for good.

One other thing, did you take the airbag connector off the stock wheel and splice it onto the Celica Airbag wiring? Not sure how much I want to hack up things in the airbag wiring department :) I think I will do that so I have a good connector to connector hook up without damaging the car's airbag harness. Thanks!
Chris

·
Blue Thunder
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Brian: Thanks for the write-up! I temporarily put my Celica wheel on tonight, but I didn't hook everything up since I am not completely done taking the dash apart for now. It definitely felt a lot better than the old 4-spoke wheel on my test drive. This should help when I put the wheel on for good.

One other thing, did you take the airbag connector off the stock wheel and splice it onto the Celica Airbag wiring? Not sure how much I want to hack up things in the airbag wiring department :) I think I will do that so I have a good connector to connector hook up without damaging the car's airbag harness. Thanks!
Chris
Chris, I took off the yellow connector on the steering column in the pic above, and put the one from the Celica on in it's place. Granted you may not have this piece. I got my wheel out of a "Automobile
Recycling Center", AKA Junkyard. I got that plug too. I don't recommend taking the plug off the Airbag
itself. Just take it with you to a junkyard and find that connector. :)

I'll be on the look out for you.

ps: I found another wheel yesterday !!!! The one pictured above with no leather. Figures you got one from Curt already !!!!! LOL

·
889 Posts
Brian: Figures you would find one now that I bought everything new. I don't particularly want to cut into the airbag harness, but I don't want to hack the car's airbag harness either to put the Celica connector on there (which I don't have anyway). I initially hoped to get the universal Toyota airbag adapter, but buying one now is apparently a no-go, at least for new ones. I'll give it a go this weekend and hopefully it won't explode in my face :nono: I'll try out your CC mod as well, even though I don't think I have ever used it in this car...or any other car for that matter! Thanks again.
Chris

·
A zone of danger.
1,175 Posts
$9ktt, nice write up man.

Does anyone know if the other Toyota three spoke wheels fit our cars? I would assume they do, but I'd like to know before I fork out the cash. I personally like the '02 Camry SE wheel, but thats me...

·
painted cf hood advocate
409 Posts
Brian: Figures you would find one now that I bought everything new. I don't particularly want to cut into the airbag harness, but I don't want to hack the car's airbag harness either to put the Celica connector on there (which I don't have anyway). I initially hoped to get the universal Toyota airbag adapter, but buying one now is apparently a no-go, at least for new ones. I'll give it a go this weekend and hopefully it won't explode in my face :nono: I'll try out your CC mod as well, even though I don't think I have ever used it in this car...or any other car for that matter! Thanks again.
Chris
You can buy the adapter from Curt so you won't have to splice into the stock Supra harness.

·
Blue Thunder
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$9ktt, nice write up man.

Does anyone know if the other Toyota three spoke wheels fit our cars? I would assume they do, but I'd like to know before I fork out the cash. I personally like the '02 Camry SE wheel, but thats me...
Dego,

I know the Corrola "S",Bug-eyed Celicas, and 2ooo+ Celica's wheels work.
Camry's should work too. Just have not seen one yet to verify.

Brian

·
Blue Thunder
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ive got an extra steering column laying around .. but have NOT tried taking the wheel off ... is it just a matter of a few bolts after you remove the airbag?? Maybe add this as a simple write up for those who have never taking theirs off :dunno:
Yeah it's just one 17/19mm? nutt in the middle of the wheel. (3rd pic down) You
loosen it a good bit first. Then you wiggle the wheel loose. Then you take the nut
all the way off, and take off the wheel. This way you don't need a steering wheel
puller.

B

ps: This is assuming you already got the airbag off. It's only 2 torx screws under
the 3 and 9 o'clock positions on the wheel.

·
889 Posts
SupraGodTT: It's also a good idea to mark the position of the wheel and the bolt with a Sharpie before you take it off, that way you won't have to guess where they lined up when you go to put it back on. Also, along the lines of what Brian said^, definitely leave the 19 mm nut on a few threads when pulling the wheel off, that way you don't get a nice smack in the face :) Mine took some serious pulling before it popped off, but no puller needed. Good luck.
Chris

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to just swap the connectors? Seems all the wires go in the same places so you could just cur and replace. I dunno I've never looked into that area or had either wheels side by side, but it would seem easier to just reuse the celica CC stalk and just cut and replace connectors.

Alex

·
Blue Thunder
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wouldn't it be easier to just swap the connectors? Seems all the wires go in the same places so you could just cur and replace. I dunno I've never looked into that area or had either wheels side by side, but it would seem easier to just reuse the celica CC stalk and just cut and replace connectors.

Alex
The connectors are the same, but the resistance of the circuit is different.
They plug right in. It just won't work. At least not in the two cases I've had.
You run the risk of frying the CC circuit in your car. And how is that easier ?
This way you are working with a KNOWN switch that works and you have no
cutting and splicing to worry about. Just pressing in the module and screwing
a couple screws down.

B

·
Part of the MSB club
1,384 Posts
I wonder if this will work on my JDM carbon fiber steering wheel. The only thing that might make mine not work, is that there is no CC on the steering wheel now. I don't know if it was taken off before I bought it, or if they don't come with one to begin with. If it doesn't have one to begin with, will I be able to wire one in somehow?

Mike

·
Custom LED Tail Lights
3,315 Posts
I wonder if this will work on my JDM carbon fiber steering wheel. The only thing that might make mine not work, is that there is no CC on the steering wheel now. I don't know if it was taken off before I bought it, or if they don't come with one to begin with. If it doesn't have one to begin with, will I be able to wire one in somehow?

Mike
I would think so .. id think in order to make it work you would have to take everything off the other wheel to where it clips in the closest harness. And hook it up how it was described in this thread before.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
About this Discussion
91 Replies
39 Participants
duhfee
Supra Forums
Supra Forums is the largest online Toyota Supra MKI, MKII, MKIII, MKIV and MKV owner's club community. Discuss DIY, modifications, and upgrades.
Full Forum Listing