Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
ok now this is a really gay product. well it does work if thats what you want to know. but its ugly and gay.

~steven

·
Supras Invade Las Vegas
2,385 Posts
WOW! "ugly and gay"?

It looks very similar to the Do-Luck bar and I've always considered that bar pretty nice - and so have many others.

Methinks thou doest protest too much. :)

Larry A installed the Do-Luck bar in his 88 and noticed an immediate improvement in flex with the top off - I believe his statement was something close to 80% improvement.

I installed the Do-Luck bar in my 89 and didn't notice much difference at all - I never had chassis flex as bad as many people have complained about.

Make sure that it bolts in using all four bolts. I would think that only bolting two locations in wouldn't give as much support as using all four.

Who wants to buy my Do-Luck bar? I can't believe I never thought it was "ugly and gay".

Joke... you can have my bar when you pry it from my cold dead hands!

Keith

·
Registered
627 Posts

I had mine polished and chromed though, the silver was really textured and cheesy in my opinion.

Make sure you don't put it on backwards (you want to have it so that turning the center nut will require the tool to turn down into the floor to tighten rather then up) .... otherwise you have to grip the bars from rotating as you tighten it and it's a real pain in the ass. i have to switch mine around one of these days because i can't seem to tighten it enough the way i put it on.

Also the brackets they provided don't fit and are a bit too long, so I had to cut them down, another issue is that the bolts for the seat belts are a bit too short when putting these in and I had a very hard trime getting the bolt to thread back in, so I ordered longer bolts (I think it was 12x1.50 or 12x1.75?).... something like that.....

Other then that, it worked well, and after being polished/chromed looks very nice. Hopefully itworks well after I tighten it up.

·
Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
1,596 Posts
I just bought one of those and should have it soon. If it works you really can't beat $80 shipped instead of $330 for the do-luck. I was wondering, are these supposed to tighten by pulling in or by pushing out? Would it make a difference either way as long as it was braced solid? What do the instructions say for the do-luck bar, Keith?

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
born2drv said:

I had mine polished and chromed though, the silver was really textured and cheesy in my opinion.

Make sure you don't put it on backwards (you want to have it so that turning the center nut will require the tool to turn down into the floor to tighten rather then up) .... otherwise you have to grip the bars from rotating as you tighten it and it's a real pain in the ass. i have to switch mine around one of these days because i can't seem to tighten it enough the way i put it on.

Also the brackets they provided don't fit and are a bit too long, so I had to cut them down, another issue is that the bolts for the seat belts are a bit too short when putting these in and I had a very hard trime getting the bolt to thread back in, so I ordered longer bolts (I think it was 12x1.50 or 12x1.75?).... something like that.....

Other then that, it worked well, and after being polished/chromed looks very nice. Hopefully itworks well after I tighten it up.
So is the one in the auction 2 bolt per side mount or 1? aight peace :chicken:

·
Registered
165 Posts
OT, but why is the center console in the ebay ad so far back? I built a big dual cup holder in my supra that straddles the hump and the one in the ad is only like 2 inches from the rear seats.

·
Registered
627 Posts
the ebay one comes with a universal type bracket........ it has one hole that is meant to be held by the seatbelt, and 4-5 other countersunk holes that you can place the countersunk bolts (included) in, depending how far away from the seatbelt you wish to mount it.

you could probably make your own bracket easily if you're good at fabricating things.... so that it could be held in 2 spots instead of one on each side. Infact that's what I plan to do later on when I have more time. Right now it just looks pretty :)

The brackets it come with are pretty much just designed to keep it from moving around, but really you're just using compressive force applied to the center nut to push the 2 pipes onto the side carpet and other stuff back there that is not really flat or ideal to put pressure on for structural purposes.

What I would like to do is make a bracket that is permanently welded to the frame that would accept a sliding metal square insert. (You would slide the insert from the top into a sleeve or something). I would then make that metal square insert to be mounted to the pipe ends, then just slide it in and fasten.

Know what I mean?

Or just mount it as is for asthetic purposes only.

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
mk3guy said:
OT, but why is the center console in the ebay ad so far back? I built a big dual cup holder in my supra that straddles the hump and the one in the ad is only like 2 inches from the rear seats.
because the one in the ebay as is of a MKIV Supra bar. Which they probably used a real do-luck bar for. :lol: i still haven't heard anyone really say whether or not this helps much at all. MKIV or MKIII

Alex

·
Registered
627 Posts
BTW: As designed now the bracket is only held from the seatbelts. Therefor you put compressive force into the bar by tightening the center nut and it's (supposed to) resist further compressive forces caused by body flex. But it does nothing for tensional forces (would it even be exerted to tensional forces when flexing??? Hmmm... not sure :))

Even if you made the bracket held in 2 places, the bracket would just act as a spring held in 2 places when tensional forces are applied.

If you really wanted this thing to resist lots of tensional and compressive force I think the best bet would be to make a custom bracket that's welded to the frame and get a very solid mounting position. This will be my winter project when it comes time to replace the carpets. For now I'll just leave it as is.

·
Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
1,596 Posts
Imagine looking at a cross section of the frame with the targa off, much like a cereal box on it's side with the roof cut off:

|
|_______________________|

It appears that it could twist easily. Now imagine it with the center brace:

You can now see how the bar offers additional rigidity. Maybe not a huge difference but should be an improvement. If it's a $300 do-luck or a $60 ebay bar, as long as it's sturdy and made of steel it should work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts