Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what brand are you guys using? should i get ceramic or half mettalic? also what brand?

thanks

atif......

·
OG
1,059 Posts
First you need to specify the use. For normal street use, stock pads are great. Generally speaking, the higher performance pads will tend to not be as nice when cold, will be dirtier, and noisier.

Cheers
Rich B

·
Very Senior Member
10,061 Posts
For normal driving, the stock pads and rotors are great.
I used stock on the road course a lot, and have just upgraded to HPS pads with stock rotors.
IMHO, unless you are planning a hundred 140-0 stops in a row, I don't think the ceramic pads are necessary.

·
BLACKOUT
1,864 Posts
to my understanding and from what ive seen , the ceramic pads will warp the rotor faster because they will hold on to heat longer ....ceramics are ment to be quiet , not for performance ....in my opinion , they are junk ....go with the stock toyota pads

·
BLACKOUT
1,864 Posts
is that what toyota sells or is it something different?
no , they are made by hawk ....ill be going with those pads when i change my brakes ....lol even though i suggested the stock pads .....hawks can sometimes be noisey from what ive heard , but i dont care

·
11,221 Posts
I've used Hawks for the past 3 years on all my vehicles.

Well according to tirerack, ceramic pads are quieter and prevent less dust.

On a side note, for a GS400 it is recommended that you run nothing but ceramic for some reason...

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
to my understanding and from what ive seen , the ceramic pads will warp the rotor faster because they will hold on to heat longer ....ceramics are ment to be quiet , not for performance ....in my opinion , they are junk ....go with the stock toyota pads
If you don't track your car on roadcourses, IMO the stock pads are best. Otherwise, the right answer must be location dependent since apparently in ZOO YORK ceramic pads are junk.

Most other places they can perform very well. Last pad set I had and I just got a new set were Carbotech XP10's which are ceramic. I'm pretty sure all the Carbotech pads are ceramic. Sometimes I track my car so the stock pads are totally useless for repeated hard braking on a roadcourse. OTOH, the Carbotech's are simply awesome. The XP10's work great on the track, still have quite good initial bite when cold on the street, not much dust though not low dust by any means, and no noise. http://www.ctbrakes.com/overview.html If you don't brake hard on the track, I'd suggest dropping down a grade or two, like the XP8's or the next one down.

PS: never warped a rotor with Carbotech's either, though I'm half embarrassed to admit that I don't brake hard enough to warp rotors :(

·
Very Senior Member
10,061 Posts
no , they are made by hawk ....ill be going with those pads when i change my brakes ....lol even though i suggested the stock pads .....hawks can sometimes be noisey from what ive heard , but i dont care
Hawks are made by Brembo, I believe.
I just switched to Hawks and have not had any noise or dust problems.
I am going to track the car Sunday at Road Atlanta, so I'll see how they do there.

·
BLACKOUT
1,864 Posts
Hawks are made by Brembo, I believe.
I just switched to Hawks and have not had any noise or dust problems.
I am going to track the car Sunday at Road Atlanta, so I'll see how they do there.
yes i believe you are right about the brembo thing ....i ment to say that they were sold under the name hawk ......
If you don't track your car on roadcourses, IMO the stock pads are best. Otherwise, the right answer must be location dependent since apparently in ZOO YORK ceramic pads are junk.

Most other places they can perform very well. Last pad set I had and I just got a new set were Carbotech XP10's which are ceramic. I'm pretty sure all the Carbotech pads are ceramic. Sometimes I track my car so the stock pads are totally useless for repeated hard braking on a roadcourse. OTOH, the Carbotech's are simply awesome. The XP10's work great on the track, still have quite good initial bite when cold on the street, not much dust though not low dust by any means, and no noise. http://www.ctbrakes.com/overview.html If you don't brake hard on the track, I'd suggest dropping down a grade or two, like the XP8's or the next one down.

PS: never warped a rotor with Carbotech's either, though I'm half embarrassed to admit that I don't brake hard enough to warp rotors :(
im just telling you what i have noticed from working on all types of cars ....maybee a high performance pad like the ones you use are good out in SEPA but the commonly sold , day to day , available anywhere brake pads that ive seen are a waste of money ....as well as on my own cars i have tried them and wasnt impressed .....i got 40,000 miles out of a factory honda rotor with the factory organic pads (changing them at 20,000 miles and needing them @40k) ever since then , with a ceramic pad , the rotors were shot and pads were worn in 15k (thats with the better choice aftermarket rotor ) and the semi met. with new cheapo rotors actually lasted longer on my gf car than the ceramics with the better rotors as i had tried both .....thats all im sayin ....and out here in ZOO YORK we dont have the luxury of highway driving all over the place like you guys in SEPA :1poke: ...theres a traffic light every 15 feet
I've used Hawks for the past 3 years on all my vehicles.

Well according to tirerack, ceramic pads are quieter and prevent less dust.

On a side note, for a GS400 it is recommended that you run nothing but ceramic for some reason...
well if they PREVENT LESS DUST , wouldnt the make MORE DUST ? :rofl: lol just brakin balls ....

8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i use the car as daily some times. live in columbi,MO. the winters are little hard some time but i dont drive in winter unless its above 65 temp. i dont auto. dont goes to track that much. just igh way pulls.

so you guys suggesting i should go with the stock brakes?

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Seriously ask yourself: have you ever faded your stock brakes?

If not, just stick with them. If you start doing multiple braking cycles from high speed, or many braking cycles driving fast down winding roads and you notice fading, then you are overheating your pads and should consider stepping up to a more fade resistant/aggressive pad with stock rotors. Above that level are still more aggressive pads and then the better big brake kits.

8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Seriously ask yourself: have you ever faded your stock brakes?

If not, just stick with them. If you start doing multiple braking cycles from high speed, or many braking cycles driving fast down winding roads and you notice fading, then you are overheating your pads and should consider stepping up to a more fade resistant/aggressive pad with stock rotors. Above that level are still more aggressive pads and then the better big brake kits.
some times the brakes feel like when you install the a brand new pads and press the padel after the first time installing it and when you press it again it started working. so thats what it feels like. but not all the time probably like once in say 60 miles.

i am gonna bled the brakes as soon as the weather gets better. just getting some input on th pads. so i guess i will go with the toyota pads since i dont do xtreme driving.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hawk HPS, I just bought em for the Supra I havent installed em yet which is today but I put them on my 350Z and loved them. They would squeak maybe once or twice a day and that was normally when they were warming up......i loved em....really really low dust also!!

·
11,221 Posts
^^Brake pads shouldn't squeek. Install shims and grease it up when you have the pads out.

On a semi-different note, my rear passenger side brake was squeeking like CRAZY. It was a high pitch noise. I took the rear pads off and changed it (there was over 70% left but I changed it anyways). It turned out it was one of the bolt that that bolts the calipers on. Put some grease on it and it was fine.

·
Registered
365 Posts
hhmm that might do it, what part of the brakes do I grease. I am guessing the contact surface of the pad and the rotor right?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts