Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced the chain and sprockets on my gixxer and used the snap link that came with the chain. Should I replace that with a rivet style ?
Anyone here in seattle that has the press tool ?

·
road hazard
452 Posts
yes, definately replace the clip with a rivet type. the last thing you want is the clip to fail and the chain to go flying off.

if you take it to a local motorcycle shop, they should be able to press the rivet for you for a small fee.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I have used clip-type master links for years both racing and recreational, and never had one fly off...Although I suppose if you put it on sloppy, it could...

·
Registered
225 Posts
BusaPro said:
just put a little silicone on the clip to keep it in place
I've used clip type master on my bike several times. I used a 2-part epoxy and safety wired the clip for insurance,, never any issues.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I would put a rivet type master link on, I have seen the damage done when a chain breaks and I wouldn't take any chances with a clip type link besides it should only be a few dollars.

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have heard of the damage it can cause and it scares the hell out of me. I have had many bikes in the past but never swapped sprockets or replaced chain.

The dealer wants to charge 45 minutes labor !

How would you saftey wire a clip ? around the side of the link ? wouldnt that get caught in the sprockets ?

·
road hazard
452 Posts
TooJayZee said:
I have heard of the damage it can cause and it scares the hell out of me. I have had many bikes in the past but never swapped sprockets or replaced chain.

The dealer wants to charge 45 minutes labor !

How would you saftey wire a clip ? around the side of the link ? wouldnt that get caught in the sprockets ?
that is a rip off. it took me about 5 minutes to press the masterlink on my bike. if you can, try to find a local "mom and pop" motorcycle shop around your area. they're more laid back and don't go so much by the book like the dealer.

OR, if you have a few other riding buddies, its not a bad idea to invest in a chain breaker/press tool (~$100).

i've never heard of safety wiring a clip on the chain either. but i have heard about epoxying the clip for insurance. PhantomBusa, can you elaborate on safety wiring a clip on the chain?

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
toysupra1 said:
that is a rip off. it took me about 5 minutes to press the masterlink on my bike. if you can, try to find a local "mom and pop" motorcycle shop around your area. they're more laid back and don't go so much by the book like the dealer.

OR, if you have a few other riding buddies, its not a bad idea to invest in a chain breaker/press tool (~$100)....QUOTE]

I know thats a rip off, I can swap out the link in a few seconds and slide the new link in. I thought about getting the tool, but all my buddies sold thier bikes.
I'll try the mom and pop idea though.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Man, I thought the dealer would've hooked you up and maybe charged you $10. I can't believe they would try to charge you that much, probably cheaper to just buy the tool. Try flatoutmotorsports.com or superbikesupply.com or indysuperbikes.com for the tool or maybe even check on ebay.

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
michaelrc51 said:
Man, I thought the dealer would've hooked you up and maybe charged you $10. I can't believe they would try to charge you that much, probably cheaper to just buy the tool. Try flatoutmotorsports.com or superbikesupply.com or indysuperbikes.com for the tool or maybe even check on ebay.
I checked fleebay and found this " value" tool that I think looks like it would work fine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Moto...011QQitemZ320001311061QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The DID and RK tools range from 85-140 bux. Who would have thought such a simple tool would cost so damn much.

·
Registered
868 Posts
That one in the ebay link will work. If you did it a lot I would suggest something better but that will work for a few times atleast.

·
Registered
225 Posts
toysupra1 said:
PhantomBusa, can you elaborate on safety wiring a clip on the chain?

Take a look at your chain at the rear sprocket. You will see that the side plates do not come in conatact with the rear sprocket, same goes with the front sprocket. There is room for a thin wire to loop around the side plate and affectively sandwitching the clip type master against the side plate itself. I found some thin Stainless steel wire, looped it around the side plate and clip master link, twisted it with needle nose pliers untill it was very snug. I cut it off close to the side plate so the wire would not be sticking up. I rotated the wheel back and forth around the rear sprocket just to make sure nothing would touch. I then used the 2 part epoxy, the kind that sets up in 60 seconds. You have to be ready and apply it before it gets to tacky. Use acetone on the link to remove any oil or grease before applying epoxy. Made several 220+ MPH passes, and many miles with no issues with the link master. Hope this helps.. Sorry for not getting back with you earlier, I have been off of work for a few days. Let me know if you have more questions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts