Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here....
A co-worker of mine is selling a '89 supra turbo with 86k orig miles for $2600. Took off the intake snorkle and the turbo has ZERO shaft play, nothing at all. The only prob is, its burning coolant(BHG from everything i read) and a knocking sound comeing from the rear end of the engine(Rod Knock from everything I read). The knock increases with revs, and doesnt seem to die down(only reved to 1500 or so). The car is in great condition, the engine idles and sounds perfect except for the smoke and knocking. It is the targa top version with what appears to be every option available, includeing the electronic adjustable shocks and torn up leather seats.

Is this a good deal? What else should I look for? Roughly how much is it going to cost to fix(from what i gather in the $800, I can do all the work myself)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
- Robert

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Is it a stick? does it have the tools to take off the top? try to talk down the price even though 2600 aint bad at all

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
yea, it is 5 spd, it has a 2.5ish" crush bent exhaust with some kinda hks clone muffler. I think ill just show up with 2400 cash and see if he'll go for it. My major concern is how much it will cost to get running. I assume I am going to have to pull the engine. Assumeing everything is shot to shit will i need a new crankshaft/rod(s)? I've never done any work of this magnitude before, but its sounds like too good a deal to pass up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a rebuild can cost any where from 500-3000 dollors if you do it your self. which you can do with some time and effort. If you put the money and work into that car with low miles i think you could turn around and sell it for $4000+ around here. I would go for it. welcome to SF :cool:

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
yea, that im not to sure on, two guys i can think of who know a whole lot, Shawndude and bishop92t, oh and [email protected] those guys know a lot. yea im sure thier is more, but i cant think of them. ask those guys. specialy trent he works for MVP, lucky ass!

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Yes I am a lucky ass :)

As far as the cost goes, put it to the owner like this... "You have a blown motor with several issues that I am going to have to take out and spend at LEAST 1500 dollars to fix. It's not even safe to drive at this point, so you pretty much have a blown motor and a rolling chassis." Tell him that first. Then i would proceed to tell him "Say the car is worth 3200 if it was in great condition. Take 1500 dollars off (and that's being VERY generous of you to only take 1500) and we got a deal." If he won't take it just walk away and not say anything. Then you should probably get a phone call soon after. ;)

That has been my car buying technique that I learned from my dad a long time ago. Low ball and walk away. Then they will come back if they really want to sell it. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts