Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

got a weird problem i haven't been able to solve.

under full boost i was experiencing a slight misfire so naturally i changed out the spark plugs... i had bkr7e in there and i swapped them out with some new bcpr7es (3330). put these plugs in and made it worse. so i went an switched them back and now cylinder one misfires and i cant figure out how to stop it. ill list the things ive tried below.

first i tried changing the plugs AGAIN. still cylinder one misfires.

then i switched the coil packs around. still cylinder one misfires.

i saw the the wires going to to the coil plug on cylinder one were all cracked and corroded. so i replaced them with new wires and a new plug. still cylinder one misfires.

any ideas?

running aem standalone.

·
Registered
72 Posts
sorry, I don't have an answer for you, but I am having a very similar problem, got a cylinder #1 misfire, took it to a shop they checked and replaced everything ignition related and checked the fuel, still a misfire, f you figure anything out, please let me know and I'll do the same.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah ill let u know if i figure it out. im gonna do a compression test tonight to see if for some unknown reason there is maybe a stuck valve or something. if anyone has any advice i sure could use it. maybe an igniter box? could something in the aem ecu been changed to cause this?

thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
hey guys,

got a weird problem i haven't been able to solve.

under full boost i was experiencing a slight misfire so naturally i changed out the spark plugs... i had bkr7e in there and i swapped them out with some new bcpr7es (3330). put these plugs in and made it worse. so i went an switched them back and now cylinder one misfires and i cant figure out how to stop it. ill list the things ive tried below.

first i tried changing the plugs AGAIN. still cylinder one misfires.

then i switched the coil packs around. still cylinder one misfires.

i saw the the wires going to to the coil plug on cylinder one were all cracked and corroded. so i replaced them with new wires and a new plug. still cylinder one misfires.

any ideas?

running aem standalone.
I would check further up the harness for coil 1. Open up the plastic wire tray that runs across the cam gears. There may be some exposed wire further up. Its also possible to have messed up something (ignitor/coil) if your wires were previously touching.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
what are ur plugs gapped at ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i did look at the ignition map but i am not sure how to tell where the problem is. it shows all the reading of each injectors and they all are reading the same.

i replaced about 6" of the cyc 1 wires. i had the harness stripped back pretty far past the cover where the cam gears are id say about a good foot into the harness is unwrapped. so my igniter box could have gotten messed up?

The bkr7e's were in there running before just fine. then i put in the 3330's which i just checked the gap on. they said that you don't need to gap them tho. i think it was .032 i wanna say. but regardless i put the bkr7e's back in once i noticed that the 3330's didnt run as good. so i figured that would have fixed the problem but it didn't.

so i guess i could have a buddy stop by and use his igniter to see if that is the problem?

is there anyway to diagnose with the AEM?

thanks everyone for taking the time to help me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i did look at the ignition map but i am not sure how to tell where the problem is. it shows all the reading of each injectors and they all are reading the same.

i replaced about 6" of the cyc 1 wires. i had the harness stripped back pretty far past the cover where the cam gears are id say about a good foot into the harness is unwrapped. so my igniter box could have gotten messed up?

The bkr7e's were in there running before just fine. then i put in the 3330's which i just checked the gap on. they said that you don't need to gap them tho. i think it was .032 i wanna say. but regardless i put the bkr7e's back in once i noticed that the 3330's didnt run as good. so i figured that would have fixed the problem but it didn't.

so i guess i could have a buddy stop by and use his igniter to see if that is the problem?

is there anyway to diagnose with the AEM?

thanks everyone for taking the time to help me.
Check resistance between the plug at the coil and the proper pins on the ignitor plug. Compare that to another coil to make sure the resistance is within spec. Also check coil 1 wires against ground and against other pins on the ignitor plug to see if you have wires touching.

I would also check to make sure you wired coil 1 back up correctly. Check for that when you check continuity and resistance. I would check this before trying another ignitor just in case.

If all you did was remove plugs and replace, then I feel like something got disturbed during that process. Retrace your steps and you should find your problem, in theory.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i tried a few different settings on my meter the other day but i just wasnt sure what i was looking for. since the coils have a constant hot and then the ground is what controls the cyc to fire. i didnt know what setting to use or how to go about checking it with a meter.

I will try what u suggested tonight. Im not a wiring whiz but i made sure i put the plug back the way it was before. i spliced and soldiered it real nice and neat to make sure there was a good connection. i pulled the coil pack out and put a spark plug in the end and turned the lights off and i could see that after i replaced the wires that it was sparking better than before.

So just to recap all i did was... replaced the bkr7e's that were running fine (except a small mis fire at full boost) with the 3330's. started it up and still was running fine. took it for a 2 min drive and when i hit full boost it seemed like the the mis was a little worse with these plugs so i took the car home. put the bkr7e's back in and started it up and thats when i got the misfire at idle/all the time. ran fine the whole way home.

so ill check the resistance between the coil and igniter. and ill check the ground with the others on the igniter to see if there is contact somewhere.

thanks

·
V8SLAYR
491 Posts
Could this Misfire be related to it being too rich ?? what are your A/F ratio's at F B ?

Just trying to look at this in all diffrent prospectives.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So i did everything that was said above.

coils are all with in spec, voltage to the each coil were all the same about 11.74

i pulled the plug and coil out and tested it vs the other ones they were all same.

so i pretty much have ruled out ignition which is totally blowing my mind.

i did a compression test. 150ish so thats not it.

i put a screwdriver up to the injectors and put my ear up to it to listen to to see if i can hear the injector pulsing. it sounded as if it was.

but i think it is the injector.

i used the "spit on finger then touch the header" test. all sizzled except cyc 1. definitely not firing. just re making sure again.

ok so the things i KNOW:

-cylinder is getting the same voltage as the rest.
-same resistance.
-looks like the same spark to the eye
-good compression
-coils are good
-spark plugs are good
-gap is correct
-aem shows each injector getting the same signal

as far as my A/f my gauge is lean at idle. but my idle is also very low with the missing cyc. like 600ish rpms. if i give it some gas and hold it at 1200-1500 it is about 14.5-16. so i am def not too rich.

i think injector 1 is faulty.

:scratch:

·
2j GT4294 stickersadd20hp
1,594 Posts
if that's the case you can use a Noid light to see how the injector is pulsing, then compare

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok so i looked into the noid light and decided i didnt need to try one. today i puled injector 1 and 2 and looked them over. they both seemed the same. so i switched them and put everything back together. then fired it up and it is STILL cyc 1. so its not the injector.

so it gets spark
has good compression
and has gas

could it be the igniter? that is the only thing i havent tried.

any other advice?

is there a good shop that is in tri-state area that would specialize is somehting like this?

thanks again guys.... i just want my car back

·
2j GT4294 stickersadd20hp
1,594 Posts
Yes I would try the ignitor :nervous: . Ask a buddy if you could use their's for a few minuts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
is there any way to test the igniter?

and is there anyone in the philadelphia area that might be able to help me out. i've tried everything that makes sense. maybe some new eyes could spot a the problem.

thanks killa

·
Registered
412 Posts
You're in Mount Joy correct? If you don't get it figured out before the end of the week i could swing by with Andy and bring my ignitor. (As long as the JDM and USDM ignitors are the same, im not sure if they are or not) Shoot me a PM or tell Kauffman to call me (Dan). My spring break starts at the end of the week and ill be free.

Good Luck,
Dan

·
Registered
2 Posts
What up guys? Good to see you ruled the injector out. I had my doubts there with 100% IDC and all, as that's probably putting a hurting on the little stockers. Billy is in Morgantown so a bit closer than mount joy. i think that service manual of yours may prove itself useful here as well as it always does.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey dan, yeah id really appreciate it if you could help me rule the igniter out. I worked on that freakin thing for like 6 hours Saturday. tried everything possible that i had access too. only thing left is the igniter or something with the wiring. :lame: oh well tho. i really just want to have it running by April. by then ill be ready for new injectors and fuel system. then hopefully get it tuned by may so i can enjoy it. i think those are some pretty reasonable goals haha. i really shouldn't be driving it till i get fueling and a good tune anyway so i don't hurt anything.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts