Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Random question for you guys. Are you aware of any meaningful changes to the strut mounts for MKIV Supras over the years?

I need a set for installation of KW Variant 3 coilovers, so I don’t want to spend top dollar on OEM (cause you have to drill a hole in them anyway). So, I wanted to buy a decent aftermarket. Rock Auto shows a KYB option for all years in the rear, but only 1993 for the front. What gives?

For anyone with first-hand experience, this is for my ‘97 SC, not a Supra. A prominent member here — 97-SC300 — said he used Supra mounts for his JZZ30, so I’m fairly certain that’s the way I have to go. But, I wasn’t expecting to have variations in the mounts. Thanks for any help you guys can provide!!

Nick

·
Blue Thunder
3,858 Posts
Any MKIV suspension will work on an SC. Same setup for all years. The rear arms are different lengths but mounts are the same. It's just that an SC was valved for a more softer ride than a Supra. Rockauto doesn't list full comps at times.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Not sure exactly what you're asking about KW and KYB but, I have personally own(ed) both cars and installed suspension in both, they're completely interchangeable.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
No meaningful changes to the factory strut mounts. I didn't know about aftermarket options. I wouldn't risk it.

Good luck with the V3's. I have them, and love them, except for one of the rear assemblies has rattled since day one.

I am in the middle of trying one final thing - changing the factory shock mount for another known good one. My suspension guy said he thought it was coming from the mount. I'll give it a 1% chance of being successful, lol! I can't see what about it would rattle.

Al

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your responses, gentlemen.

While I am inclined to agree with you all, I am slightly skeptical as to why Toyota has two DIFFERENT part numbers for those years, instead of simply SUPERSEDING all years to the same part number. It is kind of strange isn’t it? If it was all the same for all years, which seems to be the consensus, why the different part numbers? Perhaps it’s an NVH thing…

As for KYB vs OEM strut mounts, I am going to be drilling them anyhow and KYB is an OEM supplier for this car, is it not? I seem to recall reading that either the SC or the MK4 used KYB components from factory. Perhaps I’m mistaken. The point remains that KYB makes excellent, OE level parts, so I’m not concerned. My only concern is them fitting properly on the KWs. Some stated they had issues and others didn’t so I suppose it’s a bit of a crap shoot.

Thank you all for your help.

Nick

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Don't overstate the drilling - it's only the rear mounts, and it's only part of the hole that needs enlarged (changed from square to round). I use a Dremel to grind off the little nubs.

IIRC, re: the two different parts, the older ones need drilled, the newer ones don't.

Al

1 - 6 of 6 Posts