Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Milf Hunter
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this probably has been covered already but I dont wanna spend time going through all the posts...Id rather get some new replys...how hard is it and what would I really need to convert a 5 speed manual tranny to a 6 speed??

·
Registered
333 Posts
it cost me close to 7k due to the price of the clutch (RPS C/C) I found good deals on some of the other stuff but yeah it's not the cheapest. My w58 held at 418whp just fine with no dig launches. It let go at 528whp on a second gear roll

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
400 hp and if you baby it it's fine. Once you launch it game over. I'm going for 500 and going to baby it until I get my 6 speed stuff together. I heard of plenty of w58s holding at 400. Just don't launch or power shift and enjoy

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
i drove mine around on a w58 for a while. I was making close to 480, and I had no problems with it. sold it for a r154 though and soon will be going v160. ;) i'll forwarn you, after being teased with 400, you'll only want more... trust me (or us).

·
Registered
409 Posts
I wouldn't even fell comfortable driving around a 400 I blew my w58 at 8psi on a hr block in a is300 about 3 years ago the funny part was that I was crusiibg 75 in the highway in Florida downshifted to pass a car and pop goes the weasel

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'll be doing this same switch very shortly. I bought my TT with a 5spd in it. Guy went cheap and instead of buying the v160 he got a w58..

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Average cost for the six speed swap is $7-10K, You can stay with the stock clutch at that power range and upgrade later when needed, as the stock clutch is a very nice clutch. Since you didn't do a search I will inform you that it is not just a matter of unbolting one tranny and installing another. Its a very exspensive and laboring project. The search feature will provide you a better idea.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I know this probably has been covered already but I dont wanna spend time going through all the posts...Id rather get some new replys..."...
I'm really shocked that you haven't been told to go fuck yourself yet... the forum is slipping. :D

The auto to 6spd swap article on mkiv.com will be a huge help in your swap: http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/auto_to_6spd_swap/index.html

Here's a parts list... it's also for a auto to 6spd swap, but will be very helpful for you: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?211926-93.5-98-TT-AUTO-to-6-SPEED-SWAP-PARTS-LIST

Good luck with your swap!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
With stock clutch I spent 4000-4500 on my swap. I might have been able to knock down the price a bit if I didn't buy a brand new dealership knob, TRD trans mount and the trans tunnel cover with boots. I don't think it's possible to do it for less unless you buy beat products or use a gs400 rear end.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.