Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, dont know, how to describe it.

There are BOVs with the whistle and some with the "FTT TT TT TT " - sound, which i would like to have :freak:

A friend told me, that with the HKS SSQW i can do it by changing this purple part from hks.

That really helps me, because i have the HKS Racing Type 2 :stickpoke

Is it possible to change the BOV sound into this FTT T T T sound?

·
SF's Cleanest
7,179 Posts
Are you single or on twins.

The only supras I've heard that make that noise are single turbos.

·
SF's Cleanest
7,179 Posts
do you have a bov mounted on the IC pipes?

also, 1 or 2 BOVs?

a friend of mine with a single turbo supra has 2 hks ssqv's and it makes that noise.

·
'95 TT
668 Posts
If you slap on a HKS SSQV it'll make the sound you want. It's loud as hell.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
crossways said:
Mount a speaker under your hood and play back whatever sound you want.
Maybe even a "BOV inside" sticker on the side.
:blah:

@ScrewDrvr: I will try it, too.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yeah I'm curious about this too...I have an SSQV on stock twins. It does the "flutter" or "FFFT TTT TTT," whichever you want to call it, but only when it blows off from about 1/4 throttle. If I'm anywhere above 1/4 it's the high pitched whistle. I have the small bolt in the middle of the valve backed out quite a ways...I'm wondering if having the bolt in farther moves the flutter sound to higher boost levels? What do you all think?

·
Always on call
1,928 Posts
Same here, slowly easing off the throttle at low rpm's emits the fluttering sound. Ive been told its not good for the stock twins.....

·
Highway Demon
2,875 Posts
yeah that flutter noise on stock twins is compressor surge.. not good at all bascially the boost pressure inside the pipes aren't beeing released enough and it is backing into the turbo causing that flutter noise this causes premature wear on the turbos.. i used to have the flutter noise when i had the hks sqv mounted in the stock location.. when i welded the pipe on the throttle side it eliminated the flutter.. the only thing you can do is to keep trying to adjust the bov if yours is mounted at the stock location..

The other flutter noise that ppl are talking about is the wastegate flutter on upgraded single turbo supras.. similar in sound but caused by different things and result is different as well..

Brian

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ok I'm really confused now. First, I thought compressor surge would sound like pieces of metal tapping together if it was audible at all. The noise mine makes sounds like air venting, and each little noise gets quieter and quieter.
Second, the FAQ on BOVs.com says to have the adjustment screw backed out as far as possible for best results, and that's where I have it.
Third, why would there be compressor surge at 4-6psi and not at 14-15psi?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts