Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried opening up a CD deck to swap the bulbs? I want to change my dash lighting to blue LEDs, but I want my Kenwood double-DIN deck to match. Right now the lighting is green and white.

I'm fussy. :p

·
Search
3,303 Posts
if you can solder surface mount led's then you can probally make it work. I pulled apart the face of my pioneer and it has alot of little itty bitty led's that are surface mounted.

wouldn't be easy, but possiable I suppose, with the right value of led's

·
Registered
261 Posts
They don't often make tiny surface mount LEDs in any color than white orange and red. Look in Digikey or Mouser before you take any out.

·
Premium Member
12,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are my Kenwood lights just standard bulbs (not LEDs)? I just want them blue to match the dash.

Who wants to tackle it? :D

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
You'd be better off buying a deck to match...unless you are magical, it won't happen. Even with the most steadiest hand, you are more then likely to damage something.

·
Search
3,303 Posts
:werd: ^^

why are you set on keeping your kenwood, any particular reason, other than it works? The newer pioneers are blue, and they're a very good peice of equipment as well....

and that's not being fussy at all, make total sense to me :dunno:

·
Premium Member
12,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Justin said:
why are you set on keeping your kenwood, any particular reason, other than it works? The newer pioneers are blue, and they're a very good peice of equipment as well....

and that's not being fussy at all, make total sense to me
Because ANY deck I have seen with blue lighting is silver. ALL of them are fucking silver. It drives me nuts! :mad: There is NO silver in my interior. I don't want a silver stereo.

Yes, I am fussy. ;)

·
Premium Member
12,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm... Find me a matching EQ to fill in the bottom of my double-DIN hole and we are set. :D

·
Registered
709 Posts
A can of black spray paint can fix that silver problem :)

·
Premium Member
12,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BoostedAzn said:
A can of black spray paint can fix that silver problem :)
LOL, yeah, I have considered it. :eek:

This one is getting close:

·
Premium Member
12,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Forget it. Just found a nice replacement for my Kenwood. It's perfect!

Double-DIN, blackish face color, blue lights!

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
FYRARMS said:
Hmmm... Find me a matching EQ to fill in the bottom of my double-DIN hole and we are set. :D
Thing is, the 860mp or 960mp both have kick ass built in eq's :) So pointless in using a seperate one. And both are 132850913275013275 times better then the kenwood you are looking at.

·
Premium Member
12,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Regardless, I have been extremely happy with all my Kenwood decks over the years. I just want to fill my double-DIN hole with something besides a "coin tray".

·
Search
3,303 Posts
#1SomeGuy said:
Thing is, the 860mp or 960mp both have kick ass built in eq's :) So pointless in using a seperate one. And both are 132850913275013275 times better then the kenwood you are looking at.

:agreed:

If you want something that's double din... i've always been partial to http://www.eclipse-web.com/avn/avn5435.html (depending on your budget :D) and I THINK you can change the button color

edit: what do you mean blue lights?!? Its got red buttons all over the place ;-)

·
Banned
2,132 Posts
FYRARMS said:
Who wants to tackle it? :D
ive done it before and i can do it again... but because of how tedious and lengthy the work is i wouldnt do it for anything under $200

and from my understanding i am relatively close to you so you would be able to drop it off to me and i should have it turned around in about a week

ps... i have surface mount leds in 5 colors (red yellow orange blue green)

·
Premium Member
12,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, man! I will shoot you a PM when I am ready to do this. :)

·
Premium Member
5,986 Posts
Fryarms, if you don't mind me asking, how much $ and where did you pick that unit up at? Did you purchase it online, or at a retail store? I'm in the market for a new head unit too that is similiar to yours. :cool:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hey if you get this done, post some pics I might be interested in getting my leds changed on my faceplate.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts