Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed my differential was leaking this nasty LSD oil which smells burned. That part of the car had been neglected by the previous owner and its probably low on oil and has never been changed in a looooong time.

Question:

Is it easier to drop the entire LSD Differential to change the SIDE seals than to not drop it? If I do go this route, my differential has rust on it and I have some rust on my subfram. I'm scared I'm gonna bust a bolt or 2. Someone said you need a "slide hammer" to remove the side output shaft.

Thanks.

·
Registered
375 Posts
ugh no, dont drop the diff, just pull the cv shafts out and replace the seals. I dont know how the supra has its cvs attached, they could just be sitting in there, they might have c-clips either way unless they are rusted inthere, under that seal they should pull out with little to moderate force with your hands. most gear oil smeels nasty even brand new, if the color is black and has some silver chunks in it, u might want to change it and if their is a lot of chunk check your back lash and your gear health (this means the drop, which sucks sometimes with rust)

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Heres a little trick, when putting the axles back on jack the rim up to make the axle go on with less ease. I struggled for like 2 hours tryin to get the axles back on the studs and its impossible until you jack up the rim. You will have to hid the hub out of the dif pretty hard to get it to pop out also. When i removed the seal i just used the claw part on a hammer and pride them out.

·
NorCal Haters Club
2,251 Posts
1. Jack the car up and put stands and let the wheels hang on both sides. Lot easier if you have a hoist though.
2. With the car in neutral unbolt the cv axles from the stub shaft flanges.
3. Using a good pry bar(24" preferred) pry between the case and the flange of the stub axle.
4. The axle should pop out and using same pry bar you should be able to pry the seals out.
5. Use Toyota Seals, aftermarket seals tend to leak as they are made poorly.
6. Reinstall seals, axles, and CV Shafts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts