Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Lemonade Tycoon
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any documentation of how to change the plugs on the NA? On the TT it's easier to change...but on the NA...ugggh. Anyone have tips or links to any sites with pix or a walk-through?

Huy

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
i'm also interested in knowing how to change my plugs... i've got a couple of basic tools... but i am completely lost when it comes to changing my plugs and i'm willing to learn so any help would be appreciated... thanks

R

·
0 Posts
Changing your plugs is pretty straight forward. All you need to do is take off the cover on the front and the back of the head. Next you will need to take off your throttle body so that you can get to the two center plugs. Next you will need the 5/8" plug socket (if you don't have one you can find them at any auto store) and a good 6" extension. Next just stick the extension and the socket in and loosen the plugs. Do the reverse for putting in the plugs. When you put the plugs back in you should tighten to hand tightness and not to tight. You can break the plug if you tighten them to much, trust I've done this several times. I'm going to be changing my plugs soon, so I guess I have a write-up to do. Thanks

·
Lemonade Tycoon
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RW3, that'd be great if you could have a write up etc...let us know when it's done.

BTW, what plugs do you guys recommend?

R

·
0 Posts
I'm going with the Denso Iridium. Denso part number IK16. I've heard that the NGK's idle rough but I've also heard great things about them. I've never heard anything bad about the Denso's, so that is why I'm going them.

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
i've also heard of some people changing their distributor cap and rotor at the same time as the plugs... where is this stuff located at? should i do the same? how much are parts? and how do i do it? thanks for the help.

R

·
0 Posts
wishlist I will be doing a full tune up on my car myself and while doing that I'm going to take pics and do a write up on my website.....rwsupra.com

·
road hazard
452 Posts
rw3 said:
wishlist I will be doing a full tune up on my car myself and while doing that I'm going to take pics and do a write up on my website.....rwsupra.com
awesome! i've been wanting to do the plug changes myself. the throttle body, cables, and all look too much of a headache for me to try on my own. a write up would be great RW.

i plan on upgrading to some magnecore wires. what plugs are recommended for na for performance?

R

·
0 Posts
Denso Iridium for performance. I've heard from many that it improves the response from the throttle. I'm also going to get Magnecor wires. I'll have a complete write up soon.

R

·
0 Posts
That's where I'm ordering from. I'm ordering tomorrow. I'll have to check with Jeff Watson to see if he can get them for cheaper.

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
Hey guys,
Just to give you a precaution it could be just me but i have the worst LUCK with cars and doing basic stuff myself. BUT when i changed my plugs i was doing so well until the F(*&%^n socket got caught INSIDE the Spark Plug Area there it sat for weeks before i was able to finally get it out thanks be to the ratchet breaking where the socket wouldnt release from it i was able to pull out. You want a Snap On Tools extension so that if this does happen to you it is possible to get it out. Im not saying this is going to happen to you but just in case its good to know. But hey my bad luck i CHANGED THE OIL, JUST THE OIL on my prelude today well its sittin in my garage on jack stands because i couldnt get the oil filter off because it collapsed on my when i tried to unscrew it with the filter wrench (no idea how my luck is THAT bad). Anyway just given you a precaution.
Later

S

·
0 Posts
rw3 said:
. . .Next you will need to take off your throttle body so that you can get to the two center plugs. . .
how many bolts are there to taike it off. . .and where are they (hard to get to???)
and do i have to replace any gaskets or seals going to the manifold?????

1 - 13 of 13 Posts