Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do i change the spark plugs in my 98 twin turbo supra, if someone knows can you tell me what to do step by step and what not to do? Pictures would help.

·
silvermkiv
448 Posts
1) call dusty at mvp and order the 2 crankcase hoses. You will need to wait till those get there to change the plugs. Mine were pretty brittle and trying to remove them would have broken them.

2)remove 10 spark plug allen heads using a 5mm allen. Remove cover.

3)Pull the 2 crank case hoses off. Pop the grey clips holding the wiring in place and remove the 2 wires running along each side. Pop the connections off the coil packs.

4)Remove the 6 10mm bolts holding the coil packs in place. Pull the coil packs off the plugs.

5)Using a 5/8 spark plug socket, remove the plugs.

6)Check the gap on your new plugs. I think stock gap is like .45. If you have cranked the boost up, I would move this down to .30-.35. You will have to play with the gap a little to find the best one.

7)Install the new plugs and torque to 13ft/lbs.

8)Reverse the order for all the stuff you took off or moved.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I didn't remove the coil packs by removing the 6 10mm bolts but by unscrewing the 2 Philips screws per coil pack. That way I didn't have to remove the crackcase hoses. I just unclipped the two wires and moved them out of the way and could wiggle the coil packs out.

Flavio

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok explain what hose

alright somone clarify this for me the hoses need to be replaced, yes or no? and is there a way around replacing the hoses please clarify, i dont want to open my cover and be out a supra for a day or two

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here is the thing.. the philips screws are very hard to get out if due to heat. if you think you can remove those screws without stripping them then go ahead.. if not. then get eht crank case hoses and do what parboy said..

I personally did the philips screws..

·
Registered
274 Posts
coil pack connectors

Make sure to be really careful when removing/installing the connectors on the coil packs! I changed my plugs last night, but cannot go anywhere because a couple of the connectors broke. Toyota tried to tell me that I was going to have to buy another wiring harness ($1200), but luckily user Euphoric gave me the Toyota replacement part #. I ordered 6 of them (about 4 bucks each) and they should be in tomorrow. Mine were very brittle and a couple of them fell apart. Keep this part # handy for you might need it!
Toyota Part # 90980-11246
Good Luck,

Shane

·
Registered
187 Posts
There is a very good "How to Guide" on changing TT spark plugs in the "tech" section of mkiv.com. I recently changed plugs in my 94 TT for the first time (me, not the car). The guide told me everything I needed to know in step by step instructions.

My crankcase hoses were brittle too so I had to cut them off. I don't recall what replacements cost, but it wasn't too bad, under $25 I think. The mkiv.com site has the parts numbers as well as recommended plugs for stock TT and BPU.

I also broke a connector but noticed others apparently had been broken by my repair shop!

·
Registered
362 Posts
I agree that the Philips screws are easy to strip, I stripped only one but managed to get it out anyway. I'm gonna replace them with Allen bolts.

Flavio

·
Retired Admin
597 Posts
NGK 3330's are good plugs to use if you are BPU. They are properly gapped out of the package.

I also suggest using the 10mm bolts to remove the coil packs, those phillips head screws strip extremely easily. The hoses should be replaced the first time you change plugs but will be fine from then on. Of course once they lose their flexibility, it is time to change again.

Once you can do it in 8 minutes flat, you're cool (O:

Brittany

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You have a 98 so your crank case hoses should be fine! Just be carefule when you put them back on! Actually run real hot water on them before you put them on and it will be alot easier! I have a 98 and I have changed my plugs 3 times and have yet to need to replace my crank case hoses but I do have replacements for when the time comes!

·
SpooooL
591 Posts
I had to replace my hoses in my '95. Had to cut them off. I went to Advanced auto and got some. If your worried about not having your car the next day, try to work on your car in the morning, just in case you have to go get something later on. Im not gonna discuss changing my valve cover gaskets again but it took me a REALLY long time. Im learning as I go and to my surprise, have learned a lot from doing it my self too (with the help from some friends) ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts