Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1993 RHD/RSP Supra
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok not sure if this is where this goes. but my supra is NA so I guess this would be a good place for this. My question is I have a JDM 93 Supra NA/Auto. I want to know if there is something I can do to change the KM to miles per hour in the speedo. I heard of putting a resistor or something into the speedo but not sure what and how. any help would be great. Tired of looking down at the speedo and it saying 120 KM/H instead of 76 miles per hour....lol...
thanks again
Just me
Chris

·
11,219 Posts
Doesn't the speedo read in both metric and US? If not, I'd figure you can probably just swap out for a US speedo, either the whole assembly or maybe just the face (if the needle is calibrated the same).

Have a picture of what you are referring to?

·
1993 RHD/RSP Supra
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the cars in Japan just have the KM/H not MPH. the US ones here have both. I had thought about swapping out with a US speedo. but wanted some help tips on if that would just work. but i would also like to retain the stock KMH speedo...and just convert that using a resistor or something. thanks again
Just me
Chris

·
1993 RHD/RSP Supra
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here is the pic of the speedo. no mph...lol
but i want it to read mph

Just me
Chris

·
11,219 Posts
Well that thing does cap out at 180km/p. The ECU is probably different too. Your best bet is try to find someone local (perhaps post in the FL Section), and ask them to let you borrow their gauge to try.

·
1993 RHD/RSP Supra
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i know back in the 240 days people were going with the JDM cluster and putting a resistor in it to read mph instead of kmh. just didnt know if anyonehere has done it. thanks again
Just me
Chris

·
Found E85 NOT in NJ!
5,253 Posts
well i mean theoretically a conversion between MPH and KMPH is a linear conversion so a resistor could be used however I am unsure of how to actually do this

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I severly doubt a resistor solves this problem. The speedometer sensor probably has different gearing for JDM versus USDM Supras.

It's installed in the tranny and measures output shaft speed. Given shaft speed and differential gearing, absolute velocity is determined.

I'd try a speedo converter like the one from Blackrobotics: http://www.blackrobotics.com/

I've used one for years on my 95 sc300 because it once had a 6-speed tranny with the TT auto LSD. I'm now running the 3:13 rear end; so, I keep the converter at 1:1.

Just a thought...

-scott

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
I have a spare NA Speedo you could try.... but I dont know how well that will work out seeing that you are RHD.... we could probably swap everything over to the RHD plastics if it works. Wanna come over to my place this weekend? :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
i know back in the 240 days people were going with the JDM cluster and putting a resistor in it to read mph instead of kmh. just didnt know if anyonehere has done it. thanks again
Just me
Chris
Hi, I have a RHD coverted to LHD and was wondering if you were able to get the odometer conversion done? I want to register the car with the correct mileage. Is there anyway to get into the odometer and reset it and start logging mileage?

-Jon

·
7M Fanatic
3,081 Posts
Does the MkIV have a cable coming out of the trans, or just a signal generator, and a wire?
If it has a cable, then people make a reduction gear box that slows down the cable speed so everything reads in miles.

Or just do the math, the 'net is full of conversions programs that just take a few seconds to use.
Or get used to doing it in your head, it isn't difficult. 10 miles is 6.2 miles, so 2 miles is 1.2 miles.
Just divide kilometers by 6.2, or just 6, as if you are using GPS, as GPS isn't all that accurate anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts