Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how hard is it to change the housings on t4 turbos? like, if i bought a t04b with a .96 a/r turbine hosing (like an HKS T04R) what exactly would i need to do to put a .58 a/r housing on?

thanks

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I also swapped out my .58a/r housing to a .70a/r on my sp63. It wasnt hard. I just had to unbolt the bolts holding the housing to the rest of the turbo and install the new housing. I believe there were 8-10 bolts holding the housing down.

carlo

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so it doesnt even matter what trim the turbine is? as long as i use a housing from the same series it will bolt on? is it all standardized among series? (like, will any t04 turbine housing fit any t04 hot side)

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Yes, it matters which turbine wheel you have (P-trim, Q trim, etc). The other thing that matters is the connection to the downpipe. If you have a welded-on V-band, it may not be in the exact same place on the next housing, causing the DP to not line up.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so dave, if i got one of those cheap truck turbos with p trim and 1.15 a/r turbine hosing, i could just swap the housing out for a .58 a/r and have a setup that would work great on my car? almost sounds too good to be true

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the t04bs that are always for sale on ebay and classified ads with 1.15 a/r hot sides, always brand new for $400, etc.

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
If it's a To4b it should have a standard T4 housing.... you just need to know what trim the wheel is. But if you are getting the turbo brand new, why not ask to get a smaller a/r right away? What compressor wheels are they using in the turbos?

·
I smell C-16 ;D
639 Posts
Anybody think that it matters what size turbine wheel you have? I mean a 60 series does not have the same size turbine wheel as a 70 series, ect. Otherwise you guys are correct. Drew

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
bdekoning said:
so dave, if i got one of those cheap truck turbos with p trim and 1.15 a/r turbine hosing, i could just swap the housing out for a .58 a/r and have a setup that would work great on my car? almost sounds too good to be true
A truck turbo uses a heavier duty wheel to stand up to miles upon miles of constant 12+ hour abuse. It is much heavier, since the diesel engine will spin that badboy without breaking a sweat. On a car, that damn turbo probably wouldn't spin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts