Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how hard is it to change the housings on t4 turbos? like, if i bought a t04b with a .96 a/r turbine hosing (like an HKS T04R) what exactly would i need to do to put a .58 a/r housing on?
as long as i use a housing from the same series it will bolt on? is it all standardized among series? (like, will any t04 turbine housing fit any t04 hot side)

thanks

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
damn good luck doing anything. all I can do is take off my front housing. I got a replacement turbo to take a shaft out last night and all I could do was take the compressor side housing off the ct26, Id say take it to the pros. they wont charge too much... I do everything myself except the super skilled work.

I consider a turbo a super skilled piece of work,

cassio

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im talking about t4 turbos not ct-26 proprietary OEM shit

3,796 Posts
Just wait till my ct powered beast is back on the road ;)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh, i didnt mean to insult the ct-26, i just meant that i wasnt talking about changing things out on an OEM turbo.

but if thats the case....... i guess im gonna have to smoke your ct26 powered beast come next year ;), remember, i dynoed an hour after you and with a STOCK ct-26 my setup made 307 rwhp and 398 ft/lb of torque at 12.5 psi :)

not to mention 12.8 in the 1/4 mile test.. although that whole test is stupid anyway. but enough said. heheheh.

3,796 Posts
Yeah but my head, cams, turbo bearings and lower bearings were all fucked when I dynoed. Plus you got that big ass IC :D

We'll see next summer....

·
Boost is my drug!
1,319 Posts
if the CT turbo u were talking about being repaced with a bigger turbine housing.. i dont think it will work because of the bearing housing it is supposed to "bolt" on or attached.. there are different types of turbochargers that requies specific turbine shaft and housing sizes.

if the housing was too big and you "bolted" on a stock turbo.. it will never work because of the turbine wheel. its too small for the housing. does it has external or internal wastegate and all that..

you have to take it to the TURBO shop. ask them questions they will help you big time!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

im not talking about doing ANYTHING with a ct-26, im talking about getting a t04b turbo with a .83 or .96 a/r hot side and putting a .58 a/r housing on to replace it.

silver, im just messin with ya man. btw, let me know if you need any help with getting parts, and when you wanna put a big IC on yours too :)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
It is not hard to change turbine housings on TO4 series turbo's. Sometime the bolts can get alittle rusted into place and require some work but it's not hard at all. There are six bolts and gently tap the turbine housing with a hammer and use some penetrating oil. The only thing when replacing housings is if you have your car set up for an on center housing and you replace it with a tang. housing you might have to change plumbing. I highly recommend a .68 a/r because it has no divider to crack and great spool charateristics.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so people that buy those truck turbos off ebay with 1.15 a/r hotsides actually arent screwed, as they can just bolt on the turbine housing of their choice?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
meaning youve been taking them off of "truck" turbos you got for cheap?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I work in a truck salvage yard doing computerized engine swap and building wiring harnesses. Some of these trucks are equipped with Internatiional 366, and 466 engines. Older versions of these came with Garrett turbo's T04B & E's. I usually take these turbo's and build T3/T04 hybrids since they are mostly H trims and some T04E 60 trim turbo's. So I end up with alot of useless turbine housing's but nothing better than a 1.15 a/r yet. Although I know some came with a/r's in the .84 range on some of the 366's.

3,796 Posts
bdekoning said:

silver, im just messin with ya man. btw, let me know if you need any help with getting parts, and when you wanna put a big IC on yours too :)
Can you get a deal on parts or something? I need a complete overhaul kit, pistons and some other little misc. stuff. If you got the hookup, help a brother out :)

Nice pic by the way.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
silver88: well, since i work for a dealership i get wholesale prices for oem parts, but then i realized that ALL supra owners get wholesale at Elmhurst toyota anyway....

X-Man: what turbo are you running on your dawg?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts