Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Somebody's Watching Me!
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys got a ? for ya about the charcoal canister it is making a gurgle noise and i havent really heard this noise before it lasts for 2 minutes i had a main seal go out on me about a month ago and since then it does this is it bad? It made some air wiessing noise before but only about 20 seconds but not the gurgle noise thanks david

·
Old School
4,055 Posts
It's normal for it to make noise after the car is off. Fumes in the tank are being absorbed by the charcoal media. There are ball-type check valves built into the cannister, you probably hear them moving around as the tank vents.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
yeah i hear a gurgling/moaning type of sound from my charcole canister after i shut the car down...someone told me this is normal..
can anyone confirm this here??

Ant

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
yeah i hear a gurgling/moaning type of sound from my charcole canister after i shut the car down...someone told me this is normal..
can anyone confirm this here??

Ant
It is a normal sound as part of its functionality and the same sound can be heard in many cars. If you want to "cure" it, take it out and put it in the trash but make sure to route the remaining hoses appropriately.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Bringing this post back from the dead hahah what is the proper way to route the hoses after the charcoal canister is removed. Just gone single want to clean up engine bay if that matters

·
Registered
45 Posts
The gasoline vapor space needs to be vented- that's a given. You don't want to just vent vapors under the hood and let then sit there (although they are heavier than air). You also cannot indiscriminently vent to the manifold as this will create a nice little bomb. As I see it, why would want to defeat the evaporative emissions system?

·
Addicted to Boost
141 Posts
As I see it, why would want to defeat the evaporative emissions system?
Basically to make more space and a cleaner look under the hood...

·
Old School
4,055 Posts
Basically to make more space and a cleaner look under the hood...
At the expense of smelling gas fumes, especially when parked in an enclosed garage.

No thanks.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I was thinking about deleting it and going with a catch-can in order to properly vent my valve covers.....how bad is this gas smell?? I see a lot of cars with out there charcoal canisters and im geussing most ppl park there rides inside??

·
Old School
4,055 Posts
I thought it was obnoxious, my BPU car never smelled of gas, so why put up with it?

Other peoples experiences or opinions may differ.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I was thinking about deleting it and going with a catch-can in order to properly vent my valve covers.....how bad is this gas smell?? I see a lot of cars with out there charcoal canisters and im geussing most ppl park there rides inside??
^What, and create a bomb out of a catchcan? I agree with the other poster here- why is looks more important than safety and health?

·
Registered
45 Posts
^I know you dont want ot hear any more about why you shouldn't do this but honestly, where are you going to go with the vapors? They absolutely need to go to some place safe and then they need to be released in a controlled manner.

·
disfrutando de la vida
569 Posts
^I know you dont want ot hear any more about why you shouldn't do this but honestly, where are you going to go with the vapors? They absolutely need to go to some place safe and then they need to be released in a controlled manner.
tha's why I'm asking for a way to get it done... there are some people that have done it, and apparently have no issues with it.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I don't like the method pictured above from mkiv.com. It could result in pooled gas vapors in your intake system. It's easier to just put a hose from the vent hose originating in your gas tank and then vent it out the rear bumper. This way you don't have to worry about pooled vapors nor any chance of smelling them. And yes, this is not the most environment-friendly way to do it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have mine removed and recently moved into a new house. I do notice the gas smell now. Before my car was parked in a larger garage area so I could never notice the smell, now its a different story.
Does anyone know of a smaller cannister we can replace ours with?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts