Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I know this question has been asked several times but I need to know how I can get rid of this nasty canister left hand in my engine bay where the vac lines run through ... I want to clean up my engine bay and this thing sucks ;)

thanks for your advice !

CHristian

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
People say just to remove the canister and leave the lines there. I don't know the logic in that, so I don't know for sure.

·
///M3 > MKIII
2,302 Posts
Yea you can remove it. Just remember that you have fuel vapours coming from the line that goes into the canister, so if you block the line, you will need to get a vented gas cap to relieve excess pressure. What I did is just put an extra long hose on the line and ran it toward the bottom of the car. Mainly because I dont want the fuel vapours coming in the car when I have the A/C on the fresh air setting. I have my hood shimmed in the rear so any underhood smells will enter the car.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Has anyone esle tryed this? How safe/dangerous is it? Can't you just hook the 2 hoses together that come off the canister? It looks like one of the hoses go's to the temp sender by the thermostat. Whats up with that?

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
jt2ma71 said:
you can get rid of those two hoses, leave the TVV on the thermostat housing though, or replace it with a plug.
Yeah, the top thing on the thermo housing- Can I just plug it up? Mine has a broken attachment so it vents to atmosphere- I can just plug it up, right? Thanks.

·
Impeller Head
2,832 Posts
it is just just a thermal valve, one hose goes to the canister and the other to the TB, plug the hose barb on the TB where the other hose used to be. If you leave the hose on the TB connected on both ends, and leave the other barb on the thermal valve open, you will have a switched vacuum leak.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
yes you can remove the charcol canister. yes it will affect emissions (depending on your state's laws). yes you should plug the feed line from the gas tank (gas vapors underhood = bad), if you plug the line, you must vent the gas cap. unplug the vac lines from the bvsv on ther thermostat housing, cap off where the vac line went into the intake manifold. or better yet, put a REAL water temp guage in place of the bvsv.

F

·
0 Posts
Ok. 2 questions.
1. How do you know if you have a vented gas cap? I thought they were all vented for safety.
2. Is the tube coming out of the bottom of the charcoal canister supposed to be connected to anything? I pulled mine out and it wasn't connected to anything. The only thing I could find in the area was a hole in the inner fenderwell that looks like it goes through to the framerail. Is this where it vents the gas fumes? Sorry, that was three questions. Here's a pic of the tube I am talking about. Bottom right of canister.

T
0 Posts
supra_89t said:
Ok. 2 questions.
1. How do you know if you have a vented gas cap? I thought they were all vented for safety.
2. Is the tube coming out of the bottom of the charcoal canister supposed to be connected to anything? I pulled mine out and it wasn't connected to anything. The only thing I could find in the area was a hole in the inner fenderwell that looks like it goes through to the framerail. Is this where it vents the gas fumes? Sorry, that was three questions. Here's a pic of the tube I am talking about. Bottom right of canister.
I thought that was where that went too. But the hole does not mate up when the canister is there. Not 100% sure what that is for. As far as the gas cap, I'm not sure. All I did was take the line that goes to the top of the canister and run a vaccuum line under the engine bay down by the DP somewhere. That's where I have the fumes venting. And just blocked off the valve and the manifold.

·
re-born
1,584 Posts
hose on the bottom doesnt go anywhere to my knowledge

but i do have a question, the hose that goes to the thermastate broke, the metal nipple on the thermastat houseing broke off, hose wont attach

wth is goign on?

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
From the looks of it you guys are only removingit because it looks ugly right? It makes no difference? We talked about this a couple of months ago... some people said it was a performance upgrade, LoL :D , but some just take it off to make it look cleaner. Does the charcoal canister make that weird smell :mad: because if it is its going in my TRASH CANISTER. :D

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Mounting ?

Anyone know if the canister would function properly if it were mounted on it's side? Don't know if in fact thats what this is... but it's got me thinking (and I know it's a aussie)! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts