Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
AKUMU
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how easy is it to do and what do i need to do to make it work? i heard it would be bad to get rid of it but its just in my way and its completely unneeded. please get me some feed back, id like to get rid of it before i start putting my engine back in. thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
yes for sure i was also wondering this, so if anyone has the answer as to why its bad? and how to remove it?

thanks

·
20G Boostin'
1,676 Posts
just yank it out and plug the vacuum lines or re-direct them. drill a small hole in the center of your gas cap to let excess gasses out after doing this.

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
^ really? I didnt drill the hole.. I just ripped mine out and that was that.

·
AKUMU
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was just told by other friends that arent supra kids that it would be bad so i dont know if they even knew what they were talking about.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
If you have emissions where you are they may fail you for a) drilling the gas cap, b) plugging the tank's purge line and/or c) removing an emissions device... it depends on your area and who's doing the testing.

The only reason for removing the charcoal canister is cleaning up the appearance of the engine bay. If that's your goal then please consider swapping in a smaller canister from a newer vehicle.

·
Registered
184 Posts
what exactly is the purpose of the charcoal canister? to catch vapors coming from the fuel tank? how does it effect emmisions?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
It prevents fuel vapors from exiting the vehicle. It's an "evaporative emissions control". Unburned fuel vapors are, in some ways, more toxic than exhaust fumes.

The charcoal is employed in such a way that it stores the gasoline in a non-combustible state until the engine's able to pull from the canister via the purge line. The canister's inlet provides clean air to dilute the vapor, expedite the purge of the charcoal's contents and to prevent vacuum from building in the fuel tank.

In most states and/or counties emissions testing includes pressure testing of the gas cap and inspection for the presence (and sometimes even the functionality :p ) of other evaporative emission control devices... such as the charcoal canister.

Additionally, even if there is no required emissions testing in your area it's still illegal to modify the factory placed emissions control system... those requirements are placed by the US gov't and your local laws do not supersede them.

There, that said, do as you see fit. But if you do feel it necessary, do it right. :D

·
Registered
184 Posts
It prevents fuel vapors from exiting the vehicle. It's an "evaporative emissions control". Unburned fuel vapors are, in some ways, more toxic than exhaust fumes.

The charcoal is employed in such a way that it stores the gasoline in a non-combustible state until the engine's able to pull from the canister via the purge line. The canister's inlet provides clean air to dilute the vapor, expedite the purge of the charcoal's contents and to prevent vacuum from building in the fuel tank.

In most states and/or counties emissions testing includes pressure testing of the gas cap and inspection for the presence (and sometimes even the functionality :p ) of other evaporative emission control devices... such as the charcoal canister.

Additionally, even if there is no required emissions testing in your area it's still illegal to modify the factory placed emissions control system... those requirements are placed by the US gov't and your local laws do not supersede them.

There, that said, do as you see fit. But if you do feel it necessary, do it right. :D
good info man...thanks...i think i might just re route some hoses and put my can down under the bumper where most other manufacturers put theirs

·
Registered
206 Posts
The charcoal canister also releases pressure from the gas tank. With out it if you drive around on a full tank of gas, by the time its empty your gas tank could have exploded from all the pressure. When you unscrew you gas cap and it lets pressure out, that is what the charcoal canister does but it releases a lot more pressure that your tank will build up over time if it was not on there. It is just stupid to me if you remove it. It is on there for emissions and saftey. I used the one from my 1JZ clip which was a lot smaller than the 7M one and cleans up the look of your bay if that is what your going for.

·
Banned
5,941 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I believe this has been fairly well explained already... it depends on what you do with the gas tank's ventilation line.

·
Hardtop FTW
1,784 Posts
Remove the chorcoal canister, run the line to your oil catch can (Add one if you dont have one. It makes your engine much cleaner on the inside.), and then run the vac line from the catch can to the intake pipe. At least that's what I'll be doing.

Collin

·
Hardtop FTW
1,784 Posts
What makes it stupid?
+1

I see no problem with doing this as long as it's done right, as in still routed back to the intake somehow or capped with a vented cap.

Collin

1 - 20 of 40 Posts