Supra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guyus i need your help. Ill try to be as thorough as possible. I have an 89 turbo supra and last week wed. my radio started dimming and turning off. Well sure enough when i turned the car off and tried again my battery seemed dead. I had friend jump it and it started and ran fine. Later that day i bought a new battery and the car ran fine for about 3 days. Then the same thing happened and i got a jump and the car started but when i revved it died. I figured the alternator had gone so i replaced it. Put it on and after a jump the car started fine. I returned the new battery and charged my old one since i got it tested and it was fine. Well now i have the new alternator and my charged old battery, then yesteday the car gave a slow crank and after it wouldnt start. i thought my old battery wasnt good after all and got it tested and charged again and its fine. I thought the new remanufactured alt. was bad. So i went to get it tested and they said the wiring or connection to the alt. is bad. But if this was the case would it have started and ran when i changed the alt. ? well how can i check the wiring or connection? or test the alt. on the car? thanks in advance

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
If you hook and uncharged battery up to your car you risk blowing the rectifier on the alternator.. Your alternator should be charging 13+ volts at idle, if not it needs replacement. With your car off your battery should read 12-12.6v and with your car idling it should read 13-14.5 volts (this is because the alternator should be charging it).. Thats all IIRC.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts