Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eversince i installed the AFPR on my car, my charging system is only working @ 12.8 - 13.2v

I couldn't tell what the hell is going on.

Story:
----------------------------------
While installing the AFPR, i forgot to disconnect the battery and the wrench touched the alternator positive terminal to the car's body. Sparks flew and i quickly remove the wrench.

As far as i could tell, that fucked up my door auto door lock (locking the driver & passenger door by the master lock switch on driver's door). What's even weirder is that, i can auto lock & unlock my car as long as the car is running. Once the car shut off, i can't do shit. I have to manually lock both doors.

Anyway, back to topic.
--------------------------------------

Once the AFPR got installed & running. I noticed that my turbo timer reported my charging system is only @ 12.8-13.2v

At first, i thought it's my alternator going bad so i replaced it with a brand new one from autozone. I even went as far as replacing it with a higher output alternator (100amp mr-2 turbo vs. 80amp stock) and still no luck. it's still charging @ only 12.8-13.2v

Does anyone have any clue? Is it my AFPR or is it because the wrench made contact with the alternator that fucked everything up?

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Only 12.8 - 13.2? What do you think it's supposed to be at? Mine always ran around there. It might drop if I was using a lot of my power draining accessories, but it was almost always in that range. What did yours used to be?

As far as the door locks go, I'm not sure. I never had them work when the car was on and not when it was off. Maybe someone else can shed some light there.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
"normal" vehicle charging systems should run @ 13.8-14.5V above 1k RPM or so.

based on what happened, i'd guess you killed your battery- too much current delivered damaged one of the cells or something. measure your batt V w/the car off. i'd guess it's sub 12V.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trent said:
Only 12.8 - 13.2? What do you think it's supposed to be at? Mine always ran around there. It might drop if I was using a lot of my power draining accessories, but it was almost always in that range. What did yours used to be?

As far as the door locks go, I'm not sure. I never had them work when the car was on and not when it was off. Maybe someone else can shed some light there.
Mine used to be 14v

M

·
0 Posts
My blitz turbo timmer says 14.4

trent had alot of accessories....thump!

Jeff

·
Got Boost?
216 Posts
drjonez said:
"normal" vehicle charging systems should run @ 13.8-14.5V above 1k RPM or so.

based on what happened, i'd guess you killed your battery- too much current delivered damaged one of the cells or something. measure your batt V w/the car off. i'd guess it's sub 12V.
This is exactly correct. I run AVR tests on cars daily and this is what a healthy charging system is at. I dont think you killed your battery because in that case it would be charging heavily. Have you solved your problem yet or is this still a concern? Id be tempted the check the alternator fuse.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
87TurboB said:
This is exactly correct. I run AVR tests on cars daily and this is what a healthy charging system is at. I dont think you killed your battery because in that case it would be charging heavily. Have you solved your problem yet or is this still a concern? Id be tempted the check the alternator fuse.
how could it be healthy when the car was working @ 14 volts before?

now it can barely stay running if i have the heater on, rear defroster, lights, and head unit.

wtf.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Mine sits at 14.4 at idle with accessories off. when i turn the head lights on and defroster with stereo on it drops down to 12.8. at idle and when driving goes back to around 14.2

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
N/M i found the culprit of it! The alternator fuse is blown. :) stupid of me. i shoulda check that first.

Could anyone tell me how to take the fuse off? i've tried pulling it and it's stuck on the damn thing like superglue. I tried using a pliers and it still wouldn't come out. all it does it break the damn fuse even more.

·
make that blkGT4294 LOL!
827 Posts
Unscrew it. It's screwed in from the bottom. BTDT!

-Nick

·
Got Boost?
216 Posts
Kroze, im glad you found your problem. When i said "this is correct" i was referring to Dr.Jonez post about that its supposed to be about 14.5 volts if its charging correctly. Thats why i told you to check your alternator fuse. But i see you found that that was the problem anyways :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts