Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm currently having an issue with keeping the battery charged while the cars on. While running the car is only reading 13.2V or so. The battery light and what appears to be cat light flicker on and off occasionally then may stay on. The battery and fuse box have both been relocated to the back. The fuse panel was done a few years ago the battery this winter. I have a 2G cable running from the battery to the starter and the alternator wires I lengthen and maybe increased the gauge by a little. The car also seems the hit a record limiter at 3300 that wasn't there when I put the car away(engine was pulled) was wondering if this could have anything to do with the battery not getting charged properly Anyone who has done the relocates what gauge wire did you run? Anyone have any ideas? Or where to start trouble shooting my issue. Thanks in advance

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
Test your alternator to start. As for the 3500 limit that could be low voltage or bad grounds (assuming it's strictly wiring/connection related). I just relocated battery to trunk over the weekend and I used 0 gauge grounds and batt to alt. I kept the rest of the wiring as-is due to all my extra draws coming from the rear anyway. 0 gauge is overkill though. I did it because I wanted headroom if I ever did a stereo or electric cooling accessories, etc.

For the length of wire, 4 gauge is fine for stock alternator. If going over 150 amp you probably want to bump it to 2.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply I will check what it's running at the alternator before it runs back to the battery. As for the grounds on the engine i had the issue and added another ground from the block to frame and still bouncing. I will recheck all my grounds. Does anyone know the original positions of the oe engine grounds/how many there are.

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
I believe there are 2 bundles on the intake manifold and one on the engine. All on driver side IIRC. I had one on mine that was just BARELY loose and it was enough to cause an issue just like yours. Those ground bundles are an absolute necessity to have correct.

I believe there is one on the intake pipe assembly about in the middle and another on the back of the head/upper intake? I can't remember the second one for sure.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The two sets of grounds on the wiring harness I believe I have grounding on the two tabs of the intake manifold. I also have two grounds going from the block to frame. I will check the block grounds to make sure they are tight/have good contact. I will check the alternator when I get up in the morning

1 - 5 of 5 Posts