Supra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Blackzilla
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The passanger side tighting nut (17mm in the middle) does't tight down any futher and just keeps on spinning. I wasn' able to remove it either because it just keeps spinning. Now I'm hearing a chattering sound from that rear shock inside the car. Is it just because the nut doesn't tighten? Any ideas on how to get the nut off? If it is that nut I plan and stuffing some washers under it once I figure out how to get it off.

I've tried putting another 17mm nut on top and trying to tighten both of them. Which yields in no results. Both nuts just keep spinning.

These are the non adjustable blues

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've had the same problem with my kyb struts awhile back. There are two posibilities that might have caused this. One is that your strut mount is bad, that's why it spins with the rod instead of holding it in place so that you can tighten down the nut. Two, is that the specs. on your tokico is not right and the nut runs out of threads and can not be torqued down anyfurther and leaves a gap. This is where the washers come into play. Mine was the second case and I kept turning it to close up the gap and eventually crewed up my strut mount. I took out the nut by taking out the whole strut assembly, pulled down the rubber dust cap and used a pair of vicegrips to clam onto the rod, not the polished part but the part where the rubber dust cap attached to, and then undo the nut. Hope that helps.

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
I have this problem. It is horrible. From day one of owning these things.

IMpact gun????????
Doesn't work. To help with the noise, I took some wire and wrapped it around the rod under the nut (yeah yeah) as a temporary washer/cushion. It works but doesn't last too long. I have even tried cutting a slot into the top of the rod w/a rotary tool and tried getting the nut off with a big flat head screwdriver and a kinked 17mm box wrench. That worked great until the damn thing was almost off and jammed up and broke the screwdriver and later stripped the slot out.
I took out the nut by taking out the whole strut assembly, pulled down the rubber dust cap and used a pair of vicegrips to clam onto the rod, not the polished part but the part where the rubber dust cap attached to, and then undo the nut. Hope that helps.
Tried that at first but couldn't get it. I'm just going to keep it rigged until I can get a couple new ones, cut/drill/blow the nuts off, and throw the washers in there. HTH :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts